Thread: Recommend a Book.

Recommend a Book.

This thread is to recommend a book to fellow HDFers, one you have perhaves just read, liked and would recommend. Keep it to print books only - eBooks we already refer all the time.

AUTOBIAGRAPHY OF A SADHU
    -RAMPURI

A wonderful book to read and pass time. Since I am not a westerner, it was a good window to the real life of naga sadhus in the akharas. After reading autobiography of a yogi, I thought I will never pick up another spiritual autobiography, but that did not happen, and I am glad I picked this. However, in my view book doesn't have much to offer in terms of religious or spiritual philosohy - by authors own admission he is just a story teller - the tested means in which ancient indians also communicated. Stories are good and enjoyable and occasionally even nice experiences if you open your mind to the experence enough.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Re: Recommend a Book.

Great iniative,

Since I am not a westerner, it was a good window to the real life of naga sadhus in the akharas.
    Can you explain this further, I didn't understand.

I have just started reading the Valmiki Ramayana, translation from Gita Press in Hindi. I have seen other translations, but I am enjoying this one the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Can you explain this further, I didn't understand.
    Baba Rampuri gives what I thought, a good glimpse of the way of life of naga sannyasi. Even living in India I am not fortunate enough to be in such company, but his simple and lucid writing did transport me in the midst of these naked sadhus.

For a westerner, maybe his book will have other insights of how a westerner comes and assimilates a completely alient culture and the challanges thereof. This part was not that interesting for me.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste Singhi,
    I am familiar with Baba Ram puri from his site and admire him a lot.

You know that sarabhanga is a naga sadhu from juna akahara and thus a guru bhai of baba ram puri.
    satay

Great idea! Thanks for starting the thread.

I humbly submit the following:

"To Know Your Self: The Essential Teachings of Swami Satchidananda"
    - Philip Mandelkorn

Very easy to read and very down to earth teachings. One that I read and reread when the need arises.

Rajiv Malhotra's book will be out next month in India:

http://www.breakingindia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Rajiv Malhotra's book will be out next month in India:

http://www.breakingindia.com/
    Vannakkam Sahasranama et al: I often wonder what may be lost in translations. The "BG as it is" in Tamil for instance. My friend in Chidambaram who I saw last week is translating 'Dancing with Siva" into Tamil, an arduous process. He has an editor as well, and he spoke of how they disagreed sometimes. Then they had to go back and forth to find correct words. He said that basically it was word by word by word, but many words had several possibilities. So all I can say is congratulations to those who do it. Imagine translating a simple mantram like the Gayatri into English. Then of course there are concepts expressed by words that simply do not exist in other languages. Words like 'snow' in Tamil, or names of vegetables that don't grow in other places. That doesn't even consider things like prepositions or vague adverbs like here and there.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste sm78,

Thanks for your recommendation of Autobiography of a Sadhu. I'm going to try and hunt it down and give it a read myself.

After reading autobiography of a yogi, I thought I will never pick up another spiritual autobiography.
    Do you mind my asking what's wrong with Paramahansa Yogananda's book, by the way?
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Thread Information