Thread: Quote from an unknown source

Quote from an unknown source

On Google Books, I recently found (parts of) a book called Epic Mythology With Additions and Corrections, by Edward Washburn Hopkins. Page 66 contains this interesting passage:

"Those who desert their friends in battle are to be burned alive, for 'Indra and the other gods whom he heads give over to misfortune (asvasti tebhyakurvanti) those who, deserting their friends, come home unwounded from war.' (12, 97, 21)"

While "being burned alive" certainly would constitute a "misfortune" in my book, the author's interpretation seems to me a little strange...Only certain pages of the book are available, so I'm not sure what reference(s) the author is citing with the text "12, 97, 21," and I've not found reference to any such custom elsewhere. Does anyone recognise this passage, or the "practice" that the author explains?

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Oṃ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṃ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Re: Quote from an unknown source

Pranam

This is from Santiparva in Mahabharat, all you had to do was google search and you would had your answer.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/mbs/mbs12098.htm

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 07 December 2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Apologies for the time-waste; I did multiple searches on every aspect of that quote and must have omitted simply to search for the three Sanskrit words. Thank you.

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Oṃ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṃ Namaḥ Śivāya.

The santi parva of mahabharatha has all and sundry,unrelated to the setting, giving their opinions.Just for info.

Thread Information