Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brahmacharya

Re: Brahmacharya

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    A quick answer: by chitta-shuddhi--purity of mind, obtained by satsangha--company of the spiritual people and works, sangIta--spiritual music and pUjA-bhakti--devotion practised by pujas. With sustained efforts, the semen and shuklam are supposed to go Urdhva--upright, instead of falling to the genitals and eventually transmuted to tejas--shine of the body and mind, ojas--bodily strength and jnAnam--knowlege of Reality.
    I guess I should probably take out the word quick lol, but thank you though .

Although I posted the resource in another thread, I wanted to be sure that those doing a google search (which aside from the HDF search on the topic was helpful for me) could find it.

http://brahmacharya-celibacy.blogspot.com/

Hari Om!

Another question that seems to somewhat fit in with the original intention of this thread.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've read it both ways and would like clarification. Must one be initiated by Guru and have Guru Mantra before taking Brahmacharya? I know people that do and don't fit into each category.

Vannakkam C.Smith: I see no reason why one couldn't start without Guru Mantra, or diksha. Here's another link you've probably already seen.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/reso...hapterOne.html

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om Eastern Mind!

Funny thing you should post the link. I have the manual and am studying the lessons. What concerns me however is the first line of the Vrata that in part includes "I (your name) seek the blessings of God, Gods and Guru ...." .

To my knowledge (which is VERY limited) there is no "How To Be A Branhacharya" manual - it would be so much easier for those on the path if there were, especially westerners IMHO. Haven't had much luck on the internet with searches, but know as is the case with Guru, the information will come at the right time.
    Last edited by c.smith; 27 February 2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: A little typo sometimes makes a big difference

Red Face Re: Brahmacharya

Hari Om!
    Another one for those who know sanskrit (or perhaps it's in Hindi?). It's a mantra that can be said daily by those wishing to practice brahmacharya. Can anyone translate for me? Yes, it's a copy and paste, but it's important to me - please don't ban me for this one.

Regards,
    Clayton

ॐ नमो भगवते महाबले पराŽमाय
    मनोिभलाLषतं मनः 4तंभ कु| कु| 4वाहा |

I was able to find the meaning of the mantra in the above post in the strangest of places. Now I'll post the English version when I'm able unless someone else does it first.

Aum namo bhagvate mahabale parakramaya manobhilashitam manah stambha kuru kuru swaha.

Brahmacharya means behaving on the basis of divinity. I mean when our behaviour & conduct becomes divinized, it is Brahmacharya.Brahmacharya is comprised of two words - Brahma(Divinity) + charya(conduct & behaviour). Brahmacharya is not limited upto physical concept only.Brahmacharya is highest discipline of life to deal with. when we are in Brahmacharya , we do not need to fight with our body & mind to observe brahmacharya - it becomes easy with better understanding and deeper grip on it. we start to enjoy life, we dont waste time in fighting with our body and mind for Brahmcharya.

Swami Mahavanam
    Sr. Yoga Consultant
    Divine Wellness

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

An extention to Swami Mahavanam's last post...

brahmacarya - the conventional view: state of an unmarried religious student; a state of continence and chastity yet we talked of its components brahma+carya; brahma as the creator, the creative impulse of all + carya is conduct. So , both put together, it is the conduct of brahma, the source, brahman. The path that leads to brahman.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Be sure to check 'Saivite Virtue' of Himalayan Academy, it deals extensively with Brahmacharya.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/reso...troVirtue.html

Thread Information