Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily practice of Mouna

Re: Daily practice of Mouna

If your mind is talking, why not talk with it and understand it instead of trying to shut it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    If your mind is talking, why not talk with it and understand it instead of trying to shut it down?
    Namaste Pietro

You are right, trying to shut down the mind is not right.

We gently talk it out of the mundane, to its real home - like this

Whatever it is trying to say, if it is sick, jumbled, confused, tired, bored, it will be grateful you steered it towards its real home. And it is simple to do - no big prayAs needed.

_/\_
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Hari Om!

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I was shutting down - just seeing some useless things in (my mind that is) there and replacing them with much more appropriate content, much like the kirtan from the post above. Some of the thinking I do - I see the cause and sometimes don't to be honest. Often I'm able to replace "negative thought" with those that are more spiritual in context. I like that because it is in line with my "goals" for lack of a better term. Not sure that I'm conveying myself clearly, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect - just a seeker along the path trying to devote my life to God as best I'm able.

As always-

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Hari Om

No, your earlier posts about maun were quite clear, maun is a very attractive and nice thing spiritually. I was only explaining to Pietro how it does not mean shutting down, but can actually be a lot of fun away from the mundane. You are right, kirtan is one form of it - or any way of associating/interacting with the Lord of the heart.

(What to speak of the kirtan lead by TukArAm* (one of the saMkirtan pioneers) - whether original or his modern version )

_/\_ praNAm

*for those who didn't get it: Loknath Swami is affectionately called "TukArAm of ISKCON" by some.

P.S. It is a matter of standing aside (outside any mind-clutter) and witnessing a Divine Leela, rather than witnessing a mundane mind-chatter. When the Divine Leela is so attractive, the mundane automatically goes away, is of least interest.

namaste Smith.

According to Physics, there is no absolute rest in the universe (since everything is in motion). But then there IS absolute rest in deep sleep.

Thus it seems that maunam--silence, as a state of stillness in the actions of body and mind is impossible to accomplish except in deep sleep (and in the fourth state of turIya when one can enter it).

However, maunam is only a means towards an end, which is shAnti--peace of mind. When does one have peace of mind? When there is no anticipation in thoughts and feelings. In spirituality, it seems that there is nothing to anticipate--look forward to. 'Be still and know your Self' is the message of RamaNa maharShi. All our sAdhana are only means towards this end of knowing the Self.

In practice, therefore, it seems that the state of silence is attained when there is peace of mind. The mind is at peace when our thoughts are in unison with the task in hand, with our bodily movements aligned to it, and there is no anticipation as to the fruits of the action.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information