Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first temple visit!

My first temple visit!

I was going to wait for saturday to go to temple for the first time but something just made me go today after work! It ended up being a Dhanur Masa Puja day which was a great experience.

When I got to the temple, about a 1/2 hour early, I looked around the main room and found that they have a space reserved for all of the major Gods/Goddesses. Once people started to arive I realised I forgot to bring offering so I decided I would hand back, but when the priest noticed he just smiled and waved me forward insisting that I participate in everything. Overall everyone, while not talkative, was very welcoming and seemed at ease when they saw I was doing my best to participate not just watching them.

Once things wound down a very nice man, whose first time at this particular temple was that night, came over and asked how long I had attended. After I told him it was only my first night he was very talkative about how wonderful it was to see people coming to the faith. We also talked a bit about what brought us closer to Hinduism overall which was nice.

After most of the people left, around 2 and 1/2 hours, the priest came over to ask how I liked the service and see if I had any questions. We talked a bit and he suggested I come in for as many services as I can that way I can ask questions about things as they come up naturally instead of getting an info overload. I am also going back to temple this Sunday morning as the priest is going to try and match me up with someone to help teach me Hindi.

Overall I am immensely happy with my experience, and happy that the temple is close enough to my work that I can make daily visits on the mornings that the temple is open early enough.

Just thought I would shoot an update out there.
    Keep it as simple as possible; but not any simpler.

Re: My first temple visit!

Namast, SethDrebitko,

This post made me smile hugely. What a lovely experience; I'm happy for you, and thank you for sharing!

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Seth,

Glad to hear that your first trip was a pleasant one.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure it will encourage and help others in a similar situation.
    Morning visits before work are good, but when one of my jobs was close to a temple, I used to go there for the noon time Aarti, which lasted for about 20 minutes. It used to be a nice inspirational break in the middle of the day. Keep up with whatever is convenient for you. Share your experiences as often as possible and fire away any questions that still remain unanswered.
    Good luck.

Regards.

Vannakkam Seth: Awesome. You had a more profound experience than I would have expected. Almost always in a crowd of any size, there is one individual who will help out like that. I've always appreciated the fact that it is informal that way. A different guide every day. Good thing you hung out afterward too.

Quite often people 'forget' offerings but that s no big deal. Just bring twice as much next time. Besides, you offered up your love.

Aum Namasivaya

Yay! How wonderful that they took the time for you. Thank you so much for letting us hear about it.<3

You are very blessed and we are very fortunate to hear of your experiences. Please continue to share, and above all, continue to go and be a part of what hopefully has become you new "home". How exciting that you have been taken in by not only your fellow Hindus, but by the Priest himself!

As others have mentioned, you are an inspiration to others who have yet to step in the waters and get wet. Best of continued luck to you on your ventures.

Om Namah Shivaya!

Clayton

Thank you all for your kind words. Some of the highlights were the children lovingly partaking. One little girl was so excited that her family let her apply their tilakas, while another little girl decided to apply her tilaka by pressing the whole palm of her hand into the pot.

There were a couple things we did that I did not understand. I'll detail them below, as well as how they made me feel, but would love to find out a bit about what the actual ritual means.

Fire Offering(?): the priest walked around with a dish that had fire in the center. Some put money in the dish many not. The ritual was to place your hands palm down over the flame then bring them to your forehead. Overall this left me with a very refreshed sense, almost like getting out of warm shower or waking up from a refreshing nap.

Tumiric Tea: the priest also walked around and poured a small amount of yellow tea that tasting strongly of tumiric into our right hands. We sipped it out of our hands and then passed our hand over our head. This left with a very emotionally full feeling.

Upside down chalice: another ritual was the priest touching our heads with the inside of our chalice. This gave me a sense of acceptance or approval.

Under Vishnu: The last thing we did was touch our foreheads and heads to a platform with Vishnu and his bride and pass under it 3 times each. I'll admit that this one gave me no overall sense.

After everything the priest passed out the fruits that had been used for offerings with extras for children who gobbled them down.

Any thoughts on what the above rituals might be and their purposes?

Also I was wondering if their was a correct way to apply the tilaka as there were differant colors and people used differant marks.

Thanks for all the help tomorrow I will be bringing a bundle of bananas and some money to donate to our parking lot expansion.

Vannakkam Seth: Temples do vary so I don't know the significance of all of the stuff. This temple is clearly of the North Indian variety, just as a general comment. As well, explanations will vary from symbolic to mystical. I'll give you mine.

The flame is passed as a blessing to devotees in attendance. Passing your hands through it is said to cleanse your aura. Even more mystically, the etheric eyes of the God is said to be able to see into your soul eyes via this process. For others it is just receiving a blessing. Some people will just move their hands along and past their heads. Others may take it directly to their eyes, pressing palms on eyes. Like I said, it varies.

The turmeric water has been offered to God, or may be remnants of an abhishekham from earlier in the day. It is correct to drink it by forming a small cup in the palm your right hand. The few remnants or drops are then sprinkled on your head, usually without touching.

Although I've been to North Indian temples, I don't know the meaning of the chalice, other than it being some kind of blessing.

Tilaks vary tremendously. I assume he did not pass ash, but at many temples that will come first. Sometimes the priest will use his thumb to apply a small stoke in the center of your forehead.

The sandalwood (yellow) tilak may be applied in a vertical V or a simple dot in the center of the brow. Always use ring finger of right hand, although I've seen some people use the middle finger. The red powder (kumkum in Tamil, not sure about Hindi) is applied after the sandalwood. It marks you as a Hindu, either symbolically, or mystically. Esoterically, some believe that God can see you better through the veils of the lokas as the substances have a luminescent quality.

Have fun, and glad to see the 'our' at the bottom of your post. I'm off to Ganesha's temple (South Indian style) here in about two hours. Its Pradosha and Krittika night together as welll as day 7 of an important Nataraja festival.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for the insight.

Tilaks vary tremendously. I assume he did not pass ash, but at many temples that will come first. Sometimes the priest will use his thumb to apply a small stoke in the center of your forehead.
    You are correct no ash was passed, everyone applied their own tilaks.

The sandalwood (yellow) tilak may be applied in a vertical V or a simple dot in the center of the brow. Always use ring finger of right hand, although I've seen some people use the middle finger. The red powder (kumkum in Tamil, not sure about Hindi) is applied after the sandalwood. It marks you as a Hindu, either symbolically, or mystically. Esoterically, some believe that God can see you better through the veils of the lokas as the substances have a luminescent quality.
    Do you place the kumkum over the sandalwood, or beside it? Do people often where their kumkum tilaks, or only during temple rituals?

Quote Originally Posted by SethDrebitko View Post

Do you place the kumkum over the sandalwood, or beside it? Do people often where their kumkum tilaks, or only during temple rituals?
    Vannakkam: Kumkum goes over sandalwood. The bindu or pottu or dot you see Hindu women wearing in public is a deterioration of the original use. It is now partially a fashion statement, but for whatever reason more common on women. In India both genders often wear it wherever. In the west, most men and some women will wipe it off before going out in the secular world. I do just because I don't want stares or questions; its a hassle. Hopefully in the years to come that will change. I'd love to see the day when Hindu tilaks om men was as common as turbans on Sikhs.

Of course I'm only speaking of the existing conditions in my city. I think in places like Toronto where there are areas with a concentrated population of Hindus, it would be seen more often.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information