Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a list of Hindu friendly charities.

Need a list of Hindu friendly charities.

Hello all,

I run a little game design company and one of the things I want to do is create a semi open source fictional setting. What this means is that anyone in the world can create a product for the setting I am creating and the only restriction is that 100% of the profits must be donated to a charity I approve of. The only profits I plan on approving are Hindu and secular charities.

That said I would love to get a list of of Hindu friendly charities from you folks so that there is something for indie publishers participating to pick from.

For those actually interested in participating in the project it is being kicked of with a project called "Show me the dungeon and I'll show you the world". Dungeons are a common element in fantasy worlds where the heroes venture forth to explore. Within these dungeons are treasures to salvage, and villains to vanquish.

The contest will take place when folks from around the web collaboratively create dungeons together. From the histories of those dungeons, and the things found within. I will be inferring things about what type of world might lay outside their boundaries and creating a setting booklet for use in peoples games. All this will be bundled together and sold using the pay what you want/can model with proceeds going to my temples driveway reconstruction and vegetarian food pantry.

I am going to be getting a bit fuller detail of the project up at my website, and then I will link over there for those interested.

In the interim though I would really appreciate help in compiling a list of Hindu friendly charities.
    Keep it as simple as possible; but not any simpler.

Re: Need a list of Hindu friendly charities.

There are two types of Hindu friendly charities in the US which are registered with the IRS for tax deduction purpose:
    1. Which spend the money on Hindu related religious/charitable causes here in the US
    2. Which spend on the Hindu related causes in India

Are you comfortable with both? Or you would like the No. 1 kind only.

Another thing, some Hindu friendly charities are temple related and others deal with Hindu related religious/social needs and are not affiliated with a temple. Any preference for either/or/both?

A clarification on the above two issues will narrow down your preferences and generate the correct response from members.

Regards.

I would say yes on both.

Game design, what kind of games?

Very interesting Seth, both the premise and the charity act.

Om Tat Sat

KoboldEnterprise.com is focused on role playing games and hopefully some board and card games. Right now the big thing is MicroLite20 a streamlined pen and paper rpg based on the classic Dungeons and Dragons game... yes I certainly am a nerd .

RPG's are all about shared storytelling and so settings are important because they immediately convey a common mood.

I have decided though that for economical reasons I am going to have to switch things around so that like 75% of the profits goes to charity. This is just because I'll have to invest in advertising and production costs plus being able to finance other projects. I also doubt that I could convince many other publisher to get into a financially losing game. Overall though I am happy with the amount I'll be able to put towards my temple.

I'll admit, I'm not totally sure on just how Hindu friendly these charities are, but from the little research I've done they seem to be.

They both received 4 stars on CharityNavigator.com and 100% of the donations go directly to helping the children in India because they are completely volunteer run charities.

PrathamUsa
    http://www.prathamusa.org/dnn/Home/t...6/Default.aspx

Asha for Education
    http://www.ashanet.org/

I remember reading an article recently about a Hindu chef in India who had dedicated his life to feeding the poor. He works during the week and with his salary he travels to rural areas and feeds 100s of people every weekend.

I wonder if there is a way to send donations to hi? m I will see if I can find the article again.

Most temples are always in need of additional funding. They are usually non-profits so donations would be tax deductible. Perhaps sponsoring a puja or prasad for functions could also be a possibility.

I commend you for such a generous act of charity!

~S

Found him! I want to double check and make sure there is no proselytization occurring as they very carefully skirt the religious issues but slip God in a few times. Still very much on my radar though.

8. Cool Re: Need a list of Hindu friendly charities.

Are there some real Hindu Groups, who do not pay tax to anti Hindu, like our Hindu Temples in India are Targets of Govt Tax, that goes to anti Hindu too.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

@PARAM if a Hindu temple or charity was based out of America they would be tax exempt which means there monies would not go to anti Hindu purposes. So a good set up I suppose would be a shell organization in a country with America's tax laws that could shuffle money to avoid un-needed taxation...not sure how honest that is though .

10. Cool Re: Need a list of Hindu friendly charities.

Quote Originally Posted by SethDrebitko View Post
    if a Hindu temple or charity was based out of America they would be tax exempt which means there monies would not go to anti Hindu purposes. So a good set up I suppose would be a shell organization in a country with America's tax laws that could shuffle money to avoid un-needed taxation...not sure how honest that is though.
    In India Hindu Temples are already targets of government, and money goes to Muslims, Christians and other works, Temples get very less, so I think it is better, not to donate there, as the donation money could not help the temples.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information