Thread: Samadhi

Samadhi

hi all, i have been looking into Hinduism lately and have really enjoyed some of the teachings. i have a few questions for somebody who is fairly familiar with the "8 limbs of yoga" or otherwise the pathway to enlightenment.

as i understand it, 'Samadhi' is basically the same as, nirvana, enlightenment, liberation... merging with the cosmic consciousness.

lets say one had mastered Dharana and Dhyana, and was able to then achieve Samadhi in his/her deep meditation sessions. how does this relate to mastery or ascension of the physical plane, and also how does this relate to transcending the physical plane upon death?

for example, if one could achieve Samadhi, could one then leave the physical plane in this state as the 'ascended masters' are able to?

and also if one could achieve Samadhi, what would actually happen when they die? would they be able to 'merge with Samadhi' upon the death experience? if so would they be liberated to the 5th density? 7th density? or literally merge with God?

thankyou for any help it is very much appreciated, i hope my questions are understandable.

Re: Samadhi

I am not familiar with the "8 limbs of yoga" that you mention although I practise yoga/pranayama and can vouch for its effect on my mind/body that I am unable to achieve through any other physical practice. So, there does seem to be a spiritual element to life uncapturable by science (which requires repeatibility and independent verification).

Whatever a Sanatana Dharma follower says to answer your question can possibly not be verified in the scientific sense by a third person. It probably has to be experienced in the first person. The question then becomes - how can I verify that my experience matched that of another person who also experienced bliss/samadhi/nirvana?

In any case I bring this up since two messages below is related to the age-old theism vs atheism debate.

As someone else pointed out on the other thread...science/religion probably deal with mostly mutually exclusive aspects of life...

Good luck.

wonderland,
    You are right that 'Samadhi' is nothing but nirvana or enlightment. I believe no matter which way one chooses and attains nirvana or Samadhi.. one cannot immediately ascend above the physical plane. Even an enlightened person has to wait for his death but such person will be liberated from the cycles of birth and death and will not have to suffer in this material world again.

After death an enlightened person will merge with the Ultimate Truth, the Supreme Intelligence, the Creator the God.

If you wonder how it's different from the time one achieves nirvana and one awaits death.. after nirvana a person will be in eternal bliss..since he will be without desires..and be kind to each and every living being as the God is to all his children.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    wonderland,
    You are right that 'Samadhi' is nothing but nirvana or enlightment. I believe no matter which way one chooses and attains nirvana or Samadhi.. one cannot immediately ascend above the physical plane. Even an enlightened person has to wait for his death but such person will be liberated from the cycles of birth and death and will not have to suffer in this material world again.

After death an enlightened person will merge with the Ultimate Truth, the Supreme Intelligence, the Creator the God.

If you wonder how it's different from the time one achieves nirvana and one awaits death.. after nirvana a person will be in eternal bliss..since he will be without desires..and be kind to each and every living being as the God is to all his children.
    One who is a master has reached the spiritual region of satlok and can guide his sadhaks to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    hi all, i have been looking into Hinduism lately and have really enjoyed some of the teachings. i have a few questions for somebody who is fairly familiar with the "8 limbs of yoga" or otherwise the pathway to enlightenment.

as i understand it, 'Samadhi' is basically the same as, nirvana, enlightenment, liberation... merging with the cosmic consciousness.

lets say one had mastered Dharana and Dhyana, and was able to then achieve Samadhi in his/her deep meditation sessions. how does this relate to mastery or ascension of the physical plane, and also how does this relate to transcending the physical plane upon death?

for example, if one could achieve Samadhi, could one then leave the physical plane in this state as the 'ascended masters' are able to?

and also if one could achieve Samadhi, what would actually happen when they die? would they be able to 'merge with Samadhi' upon the death experience? if so would they be liberated to the 5th density? 7th density? or literally merge with God?

thankyou for any help it is very much appreciated, i hope my questions are understandable.
    Wonderland ji, first of all very nice to meet you
    Do you know what is ment by "Samadhi" ?

When any conciousness leaves the physical plane in the both the conditions, Death or through any meditation technique, Both of them are called "Samadhies"

But the difference is, When the conciousness leaves the body (physical plane) in Death, it is like that now your house is destroyed and now you can never live in this house because now your house is not in the condition of living there, so it is like suddenly you are being forced not to live in that house as your house is damaged and that time conciousness feel very sad and serious or frightened because now he/she has to leave this house, But the conciousness is attached to "Other Houses" (family members) or buisness etc.. through this House (body).

This Sadness, Seriousness, or Frightenedness at the time of Leaving Body (Death) is called "Jamdoot tumhe lene aye hain" in hindi.

But when the concoiusness leaves the body through meditation it can return in the body again,
    But in this case slowely and day by day practice conciousness has learned the lesson that this body is not our real home, which i have to leave one day and slowely the love starts to breakup from the outer things like family buisness even with the body itself too..

And slowely day by day practise only the pure soul is left by rising up and up and crosses many planes to merge with"o"

In the real it very hard to express in word, Moreover am not so good in english

_/\_ Jasdir
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Vannakkam all: I find this talking about samadhi interesting. I often question, "What value is there in it?"

The only value I can see for the vast majority of us is the knowledge that there is an endpoint. That's about it.

Otherwise I find it like 'jumping the queue' and talking about something from a point of view we are not qualified to talk about.

Firstly, any descriptions of samadhi I have heard from those who have obtained such a lofty goal usually contian such phrases as "it's beyond words, beyond the mind, beyond the intellect. In other words, samadhi is not something we can get to via the intellect. We have to do the meditation, do the sadhanas, become incredibly self-disciplined, renounce the world, and desires, etc., etc.

A more suitable approach (for me) is from where we are today. The following self-reflecting questions are a few examples.

1) Do I still anger at situations or people?
    2) Am I able to control at least to some degree my senses and drives? (Hunger comes to mind ... in certain situations, can I skip a meal or two or three without panicking and rushing off to the nearest restaurant or fridge?)
    3) Do I still have lust in me, outside of my marriage? Do I imagine sexual thoughts? Even in dreams?
    4) Do I treat all beings with respect, despite differences?
    5) Do I still clench my fist or have violent dreams?
    6) Do I have the self-discipline to brush my teeth and bathe daily?
    7) In a conversation, do I have to have my say, or can I just listen?

So from my down to earth perspective, these are the real questions. Once these things are mastered, then perhaps a closer look from the inside at things like samadhi may be reasonable.

Regarding 7 above, yesterday I went to a funeral of a relatively close acquaintance. I did not know at all what this man had done with his life. Turns out he had attained a scholarship in his field where only 3 of 800 applicants are able to attain. Over the course of the last 20 years of our acuaintance, I'm sure he would have had the opportunity to tell me. But he never did. he was always to busy listening to what others had to say, I suppose.

Aum namasivaya

Thread Information