Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Hindus should reject Jesus

Why Hindus should reject Jesus

Last edited by Sahasranama; 27 July 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Re: Why Hindus should reject Jesus

I've started reading the article on why Hindus should reject Jesus, and I'm very interested to finish the one on the Evangelical Christian Creed. While I tend to have enough respect for Jesus as to not insult him, I would of course concur that there is nothing in Christianity that Hindus would find beneficial. To read the Bible or other Christian materials will only make some Hindus easier targets for conversion, and so I believe this should be avoided. Perhaps the wisest statement I've seen (specifically in the pamphlet on the evangelical creed) is this:
    The ultimate fall back position for all of them when challenged will

be — “It is a matter of faith!” If so then let them keep their delusional faith to themselves and not share it with us who follow the oldest religion on earth and who already have morality, spirituality and salvation in abundance.
    The typical party line of evangelicals against those who call Christianity immoral is that one who does not believe in God has no absolute standard of morality, and cannot call anything moral or immoral. This is true when the critic is an atheist (and atheists are the predominant critics of Christianity). We, however, believe in God and are well within our rights to make moral judgments concerning Christianity. Also, in the document on why Hindus should reject Jesus, many arguments are given explaining the Old Testament concept of the Jewish messiah, and the New Testament's failure to apply these to Jesus. These arguments can also be found on the website of the counter-missionary organization Jews for Judaism, which perhaps is a good resource as well.

The only caution I would advise here is that some of these things seem to be written from a rather atheistic perspective. Of all the arguments Hindus might make against Christianity, calling the idea of bodily resurrection absurd is not one of the better ones. Similar stories of supernatural occurances exist in Hindu Scriptures. So let us be careful to use only the good arguments against evangelical Christianity, of which there are many. That way we can present an unimpeachable case against the evangelicals.

Anyway, interesting articles. Thanks for posting them!

That's a good observation, the author has studied abrahamic religions for eight years in the middle east before he converted to Sri Vaishnavism. He knows all the arguments against Christianity, both atheistic and non-atheistic. I think both are valuable to fight of Christianity, so that we can defeat them from both perspectives.

I don't think it would be a bad thing if Hindus did read the Bible, because many gurus quote the good parts from the Bible to be kind to the Christians, but respectfully hide the filth in the Bible, so many devoted Hindus remain unaware of it and become subjects for conversions:

"There are, as I have demonstrated many similar teachings found in both the Bible
    and the Gita. But the Gita is truly a HOLY Scripture dealing with the nature of the
    soul, the nature of the Godhead, our relationship with Him and the path of virtue
    and love. Nowhere in all the sacred revelation of India — the Vedas, the
    Upanishads or the Gita is there to be found anything comparable to the most
    appalling and repulsive teachings and injunctions which are found in the Bible."
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 10 January 2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    To read the Bible or other Christian materials will only make some Hindus easier targets for conversion, and so I believe this should be avoided.
    On contrary reading it and using one's intelligence to understand will only make us more informed about the truth and stupidity of this creed. Universalist hindu's never read the Bible totally or impartially, most of the time they are happy knowing some saint praised Jesus or rembering how Yogananda quoted "First there was the word, and the word was God..." sort of stuff from Bible and proved the existence of sabda brahman from Bible. Christians read the Bible even lesser - they only swear by it. Having a little knowledge about Bible can empower any Hindu to floor a Christian with Bible itself....its all the same for any dogma based on lies. No communist have actually sat down, read and analysed Marx's works. They have only read pamplets and listened to speeches.

For me, it was reading Islam which have made me so anti-Islamic.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Thanks for pointing this website. The author seems to have a rare combination of grounding in a ancient sampradaya, yet having a practical and non-sectarian outlook for Hinduism, plus a good background in the Abrahamic delusions. The kind of people we need to propagate and preserve faith from right perspective.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

I don't even understand why Hindus should even have to have this discussion. I understand the necessity of pointing out info like this, as too many Hindus seem to be falling for the Christian propaganda...but I mean, do other religions ever have to have these discussions?

Do Christians sit around discussing whether or not Hanuman is "appropriate" for Christianity?

Do Jews sit around discussing whether or not Zeus is "appropriate" for Judaism?

Do Muslims sit around discussing whether or not the Buddha is "appropriate" for Islam?

Frankly, "Jesus" is as relevant to Hinduism as Maa Kali is to Christianity.

Allowing Hinduism to be altered or defined by Christianity, or even considering it, shows that one's mind already feels that Christianity is "superior" to Hinduism. You can see this kind of thinking echoed in some of the writings of Rammohan Roy and Keshub Chunder Sen. They were so eager to be "accepted" by their oppressors and seen as "modern," that they couldn't stop fawning over the aggressive hatred of Christian proselytism.

In fact, I cannot think of many religions as fundamentally INCOMPATIBLE as Hinduism and Christianity. It's like trying to be both an observant Jew and a Jihadist Muslim at the same time.

I don't know why Hindus keep falling for the trap of Jesus, it is self evident that Jesus is irrelevant to Hinduism and that Christianity is incompatible with Sanatana Dharma. But the collonial inferiority complex and self loathing attitude of Ram Mohan Roy is still rampant among many Hindus. The list of gurus who have been influenced by Ram Mohan Roy is endless, even the para-guru of Srila Prabhupada was once a RMR groupie.

Allowing Hinduism to be altered or defined by Christianity, or even considering it, shows that one's mind already feels that Christianity is "superior" to Hinduism.
    I could not have said this better. We should take the Christian advice to not take his name (in vain), meaning "let's not waste any energy on Christianity." I agree that we shouldn't even have this discussion. I hope the links I posted will put the problem to rest, so that we can keep our focus on more important discussions that deal with Hinduism itself.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 11 January 2011 at 09:42 AM.

What I usually do is try to define christianity and every other religious manifestation through the knowledge of the Vedas. It's just natural curiosity to get to know how some religions evolved into their current forms, like the african religions that have rituals very similar to deity worship.

But I guess sometimes in this forum people think I'm doing the opposite.

Namaste,

I actually changed my religious beliefs by accident... If I wouldn't have researched about Judaism for a project & got hooked-up, I still would be Christian. If it weren't for Judaism, I wouldn't have looked around & found Sanatana Dharma.
    I believed everything church said & never checked info twice.
    That said, now for me belief in Jesus Christ seems illogical.
    Person who looks deeply into Sanatana Dharma would never want to turn back or try to change it for society's beliefs or anything.

I agree with Bryon.

Have a great day,
    ~Alice
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

I will not reject Jesus because of certain Christian interpretations of his teachings.

I've managed to get my hands on a New Testament that contains the Greek text and an EXACT, word for word and even by grammar, translation. I will go off of that, not evangelical interpretations or translations.

Thread Information