Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persecution of Buddhists by Hindus

Persecution of Buddhists by Hindus

Hi folks ,I came across a video which seems to claim that Hindus persecuted Buddhists which led to fall of Buddhism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCgdQ5xGZk

I would like have your thoughts on it

Personally I believe that these allegations are false but I dont have a strong knowledge to back my assertions.So just like to know your thoughts on this
    Last edited by The Occult; 11 January 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Re: Persecution of Buddhists by Hindus

Namaste Occult,

I noticed there are no references to any specific sources, either in the video or in the description. The only things that are referred to in the video are "Buddhist religious scriptures" and "Buddhist sources". That is a major problem right there.

I don't know much about this subject, but I know that a major factor in the decline of Buddhism in India was Sri Adi Shankara, who spread the teachings of Advaita Vedanta throughout India and converted many people back to Hinduism at a time when much of India was going Buddhist. This was done through logic and discussion, not through any forced conversions or killings.

Of course, different people have different interpretations as to what is persecution. (I literally laughed out loud when the Pope said a few weeks ago that Christians are the most persecuted group in the world.) IMHO, using logic to peacefully bring people back to their original religion is not persecuting. But the video mentions killings and rapes done by Hindus to Buddhists, to which no specific outside reference is given.

Jai Sri Ram
    Last edited by Ramakrishna; 22 January 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by The Occult View Post
    Hi folks ,I came across a video which seems to claim that Hindus persecuted Buddhists which led to fall of Buddhism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCgdQ5xGZk

I would like have your thoughts on it

Personally I believe that these allegations are false but I dont have a strong knowledge to back my assertions.So just like to know your thoughts on this
    Vannakkam: Personally, I think such accusations are more political than religious. Its far more likely that a minority political group that happens to be of a particular faith feels persecuted. For example There is little argument that Tamils in Sri Lanka are persecuted by the predominantly Buddhist government. But the Tamils there are a mixture of Hindu, Christian, and Islam. So although it may appear to be religious, its often another factor such as historical borders, or linguistic, or race.

Aum Namasivaya

Like Eastern Mind mentioned it has always been a political motive behind such persecutions around the world.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

The Christian music on the background gives everything away. This is another pathetic attempt of Christian missionaries to falsely accuse Hindus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    The Christian music on the background gives everything away. This is another pathetic attempt of Christian missionaries to falsely accuse Hindus.
    Same Christian missionaries introduced the concept of racism and slavery (backed up what's written in Bible; Noah's curse on his son Ham and his descendants) and virtually wiped out thousands of age old races from Africa, the cradle of civilization - an inhuman, grotesque act.

Missionaries from Spain, conquistadors massacred native Americans. There are many more atrocities carried out by Christians in the name of God.

But you can't blame every Christian or Muslim responsible for any atrocity some people of their sect carry(ied) out. Every human being is so driven by ego and so ignorant and most aren't capable of thinking rationally. For what is written in Bible and Koran that God would love you if you spread his religion, Christianity or Islam to others, some humans act just to please God and gain his favours.

I believe the religious tolerance of Hinduism turned out to be its worst enemy. It's an irony that people from some religions and even cults who do not have answers to all the problems of life.. make fun of Sanatana Dharma, the only religion which has answer to each and every problem of life. These accusations will continue till the last man is wiped out from the face of earth.
    Last edited by realdemigod; 23 January 2011 at 12:02 PM.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

8. Cool Re: Persecution of Buddhists by Hindus

Not only Muslims and Christians, Buddhists also accuse Dharma, for their decline

Yes Dharma is responsible for the decline of Adharm, but Adharm is also responsible for the decline of Dharma.

Just like Maxmullar and others, many have placed lie as facts, while it is not true there are many false stories made by Buddhists to defame dharma.

The Shunga Dynasty is one of the examples.

It is known that Pushyamitra Shunga was responsible to review Dharma after Asoka. Buddhists blames that He was a Brahmin; he destroyed Maurya Dynasty and persecuted Buddhists. Check History how lire they are.

Buddhist texts calls Pushyamitra a 'Maurya' and not Brahmin. They accuse him for persecution of Buddhists, but again Satupa of Bharhut which was build during Shunga period is the proof that, there was no such persecution.

Great Hindu writers like Kalidas have praised Pushyamitra. History records clearly show that, during last time of Brihdatt Maurya, Greek / Bactrian invaded India, they conquered Western parts. King Brihdatt who was a Buddhist was in no match to challenge them so Pushyamitra seized the thorn and defeated the invaders. This action was for defence, but buddhists wants to show it as persecution.

King Menander who was a Buddhist convert was supported by Buddhists, and their opponent Indian rulers were shown as Persecution of Buddhists.

[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

one must experience much persecution to understand it well and not parrot the politically correct point of view. the majority of people around me could never even believe the amount of it i have experianced in my life. i have had people i thought were friends insult me to my face dozens of times and not even know they were doing it. their racial and religious beliefs blinded them because they saw me as a white american and not a human that many not see like like they do and mimic their peers and parents and relatives.
    in the modern american world i am seen as a average american and the judge a book by its cover. but inside I am something very different. that is the western way. the west has filters that make them so hateful and elitist they do not even know their prejudice and hate even when they are doing it. they say i am tolerance yet speak hate and harm on everyone around them and far from them. the sadness of not knowing what they say and how they effect people is sad.

i am of indian and jewish desent and i have heard things you would not believe.

Here's how it happened.

Hinduism never went out to proselytise. Buddhism, on the other hand, was spread far and wide, through peaceful means. This happened because the Buddha's path had state patronage by zealous kings like Asoka. Asoka was always an expansionist and the streak never went out of him. He was a military expansionist at first, but then that ended due to guilt. So he directed his energies towards religious expansionsm (that's not a word I know).

Buddhism penetrated far into the middle-east and as far as Japan and some say even into parts of the West. There are theories that say Jesus himself was influenced by Buddhism.

But in this whole process, Buddhism also degenerated. The Buddha was against idol-worship, but the whole Buddhist area of influence is full of shrines that worship gigantic statues of him. Furthermore, the Buddha was against the hierarchical complexities of Hindu orthodoxy, but today, Buddhist shrines are full of monk orders that amount to an orthodoxy by itself.

When the Islamic hordes appeared and started conquering, their obvious target was the many Buddhist shrines spread all over the region. In fact, some scholars say the word for idol in Arabic "BUT" is a distortion of "BUDDH".

A good read in this matter is an essay by Koenraad Elst: Why Pushyamitra was more "secular" than Ashoka
    http://koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/a...shyamitra.html

Even today, there are Marxist historians in India who push the lie about large-scale Hindu persecution of Buddhists. Sure there was some animosity, but it was most definitely a "wipe-out mission" like it was with the hordes from Arabia. In fact, the famed Nalanda university, home to much learning of Buddhist nature, was destroyed by Muslims and not Hindus. The fact that it was there when the Muslims came around is testimony enough that Buddhism was prevalent in India when they came.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Thread Information