Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatha Yoga for lower back pain?

Hatha Yoga for lower back pain?

Namaste,

So first of all I must say that I have cerebral palsy (left side spastic hemiplegia in mild form) & basically right now I have started to have lower back pain more than I usually do. I would appreciate any good yoga poses & tips too..

I already talked with doctor about this & she said that I have to have some kind of physical activity that would help my back....

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

Re: Hatha Yoga for lower back pain?

I am sorry to hear about your condition. I used to suffer from a cervical hernia, I have been practicing hatha yoga for a while and unless I do something stupid I am mostly pain free now. I can recommend you some books and DVDs if you want. If you are looking for a style, I can recommend Iyengar yoga which is very alignment based.

Swami Ramdevji is well known worldwide for his yog and pranayama programs and I can attest to the effectiveness of his routines for spondylitis and migraines. May I suggest a website? Please check in to totalbhakti.com and do a search with Swami Ramdev. You won't be disappointed. Please PM me if you'd like more specifics.

Om Namah Sivaya

Clayton

5. Re: Hatha Yoga for lower back pain?

Quote Originally Posted by arjunah View Post
    Thank you so much for that. I do a particular seated pose, baddha konasana (Bound Angle Pose), as I had read somewhere it helps with sciatica. I have to say, when I do it, it does relieve the pain. I then am tempted to do Butterfly Pose, but I believe I've read it's contraindicated for sciatica. In my Hatha class, however, I do whatever we're doing, and usually my back feels better, which is probably 50% physiological, 50% spiritual.

hi alice

i would strongly recommend swami ramdev approach to health. he is very famous in india and claims to have cured lot of diseases like cancer, etc. many people tutored in modern ways don't accept his views, but i myself have benefited from it. i have heard on his TV programs (on aastha channel in india --- ) that your disorder has solutions. he recommends combination of yoga and ayurveda.

I used to have fairly chronic lower back pain and I honestly don't know what it was caused by because I never went to a doctor about it since it came and went. It went away almost instantly when I decided to try sleeping on the floor. It was uncomfortable for the first couple of days but now I actually start to miss it when I have to sleep in a bed for some reason or another. I don't know how advisable it would be for your condition but it worked like a charm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I am sorry to hear about your condition. I used to suffer from a cervical hernia, I have been practicing hatha yoga for a while and unless I do something stupid I am mostly pain free now. I can recommend you some books and DVDs if you want. If you are looking for a style, I can recommend Iyengar yoga which is very alignment based.
    Can you recommend some yoga for cervical hernia?
    Thank you
    Arjunesh
    AUM

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your opinion.keep up the good work!

Pranayama

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunesh View Post
    Can you recommend some yoga for cervical hernia?
    Thank you
    Arjunesh
    Cervical hernia doesn"t exist.call it cervical disc hernia or cervical spondylosis.

Cervical prolapse/hernia happens in females only,the part on genito-reproductive organs.

Basic neck rotations,extention,flexion will do great.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Thread Information