Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capitalism and Ayurvedic products

Capitalism and Ayurvedic products

Vannakkam: Beware the western stealing and profit of ayurvedic products. I selected one product (Triphala bottle of 60 capsules) for price comparison.

at a local pharmacy in India R15 or US 0.15
    at an ayurvedic clinic catering to westerners in India R45 US 1.00
    at an Indian import store in Canada R135 US 3.00
    at a Canadian health food supplement store R 810 US $18.00
    on line from Banyan Botanicals US 8.50 + shipping and handling

Moral of the story ... In India shop local, In the west, head for an Indian store, not a health food place.

Besides the stealing of Indian culture as with yoga which is an intellectual copyright debate, there is also a very real economic stealing going on as well.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Capitalism and Ayurvedic products

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Beware the western stealing and profit of ayurvedic products. I selected one product (Triphala bottle of 60 capsules) for price comparison.

at a local pharmacy in India R15 or US 0.15
    at an ayurvedic clinic catering to westerners in India R45 US 1.00
    at an Indian import store in Canada R135 US 3.00
    at a Canadian health food supplement store R 810 US $18.00
    on line from Banyan Botanicals US 8.50 + shipping and handling
    I see this day-in and day-out. That was one point of grief I talked about regarding books. I just purchased a book. The Indian price 250Rs, USA price $24.00, yet it came from India.

Regarding triphala¹ which I usedaily. I now buy a 1/2 pound bag and cap them myself. I have a small capping fixture that works well.

Now all that said , no matter what the price, quality of the prodcut is key. I have viewed some sorry looking triphala on a grocery shelve that must have been there for many months. No matter what the cost, the quality was questionable.

praām

triphala - having 3 fruits. This is a detoxifying and gentle elimination supplement made of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki fruits. Triphala contains 5 of the 6 tastes ( no salty taste). It is therefore a balancer of the system for vata, pitta or kapha types and helps keep balance of all the doshas. For the 6 tastes see: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...0&postcount=25
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 January 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast EM

I see this day-in and day-out. That was one point of greif I talked about regarding books. I just purchased a book. The Indian price 250Rs, USA price $24.00, yet it came from India.

Regarding triphala which I usedaily. I now buy a 1/2 pound bag and cap them myself. I have a small capping fixture that works well.

Now all that said , no matter what the price, quality of the prodcut is key. I have viewed some sorry looking triphala on a grocery shelve that must have been there for many months. No matter what the cost, the quality was questionable.

praām

triphala - having 3 fruits. This is a detoxifying and gentle elimination supplement made of amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki fruits. Triphala contains 5 of the 6 tastes ( no salty taste). It is therefore a balancer of the system for vata, pitta or kapha types and helps keep balance of all the doshas. For the 6 tastes see: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...0&postcount=25
    Vannakkam: So where do you get the half pound bags and the non-gelatin caps? I am also a daily user... almost at least .. occasionally I may forget. Do you know anything about the shelf-life. How fast does it deteriorate? My current bottle bought from an Indian store here was manufactured (put together) in 2006.

Aum Namasivaya

What do you think of organic India:
    http://www.organicindia.com/organic-india-videos.php

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: So where do you get the half pound bags and the non-gelatin caps? I am also a daily user... almost at least .. occasionally I may forget. Do you know anything about the shelf-life. How fast does it deteriorate? My current bottle bought from an Indian store here was manufactured (put together) in 2006.

Aum Namasivaya
    With a shelve life of 5 years, I would not bother using it ( that again is me). 'Aging' is not a welcomed feature in āyurved as I understand it.

So, let me offer the location for bulk āyurved products: Banyan Botanicals has tripala in 1/2 pound bags.
    http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/products.asp?dept=1044

Gel caps (vegetarian) and the pill assembly fixture: http://www.cap-m-quik.com/store/index.html

That should get you started if you wish to pursue your own filling and capping.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannakkam Yajvan: Thanks. Useful info. Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama,

My local health food store - which stocks an odd mish-mash of seemingly random products from various companies - happens to carry Organic India tea, so I'm writing you a wee review based on my purchase and their website.

While I'm not sure how a company can count "No Compromise on Being Who We Are" among their corporate values - and am hoping they do not employ serial killers - I do think that supporting "sustainable Organic Agriculture practices" and "the livelihood and well-being of farmers and tribal wild crafters in rural India" are worthy goals indeed. I also like that "Respect and Devotion to Mother Nature" (italics mine) are counted among their values.

This tea is a vanilla creme tulsi and is quite a lovely and relaxing blend. The box tells me that it's made of "100% recycled paperboard, with a minimum of 30% post-consumer content" and the tea bags from "unbleached, biodegradable fiber"; the box also carries a bit of wisdom imprinted on the side:
    "Unless the mind is firmly established in the Heart, reality will become veiled by the falsehood that is the mind."
    -Sri Ramana Maharshi

A good purchase, I think, and the box was $5.99 CAD - reasonable considering that a) the health food store is small and usually has higher prices, b) tea here generally is an expensive purchase.

(As an example, Numi brand, which runs $4.99 in the States, retails for $9.99 a box here, even for the simple blends like "dry desert lime" - a.k.a. kaffir lime leaves, which I can buy at my local market for $2.99 a bag. While not an Ayurvedic product per se, it's another example of Eastern Mind's original warning about over-inflated prices...)

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Hari Om!

Any debate over Swami Ramdev? His Divya products are now being sold in the US at reasonable (although still more than Indian) prices. www.divyaproducts.com I use a couple of the preparations and can attest to their benefit. But I've heard controversy from time to time over him and his ayurvedic products. Anyone tried them? Any insights on his dealings?

Om Namah Shivaya!

Thank you Indraneela for sharing your thoughts about organic India. I have also some tulasi tea at home from organic India. Not only is tulasi very sacred and purifying, but according ayurveda it also helps with kapha dosha.

C.smith, I do not trust Swami Ramdev's medicine, examinations have found toxins in them. I have also seen swami Ramdev's yoga videos and he claims he can cure any disease known to mankind.

Good to know about the toxins - who wants those? I had heard that heavy metals were found in some of the compounds as well as ground up animal bone but of course it was denied. I don't want to slander him however - many people swear by him and even if its all in the mind, if it works, it works.

In terms of pranayama, I'm a big advocate of it. I do believe that it can cure many ills. I don't know how far I'd go with that however. Life force is a powerful thing.

Thread Information