Additional āyurvedic ideas...

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I wrote on another string:
      • vāta = air + space (ākāśa)
      • pitta = fire + water
      • kapha = water + earth

I thought to offer a few additional ideas for one's consideration. Note that I am not an vaidya ¹ (āyurvedic doctor) but come to this knowledge via reading and practice. Please feel free to add your knowledge and experience as you see fit.
    If we talk of these qualities in very simple terms vāta is the principle of movement. Pitta is the principle of heat/energy; kapha is the principle of structure, and of fluids . Yet there is a deeper , more insightful view of these qualities that I find profound.
    • vāta represents and has the qualities of vayū. This vayū is associated with prāṇa; prāṇa we know as life force.
    • pitta represents agni ; agni is rooted in ag , fire; this fire is tejas which is fiery energy ,vital power
    • kapha is related to water and thus with ojas ; ojas is rooted is vaj¹ and is vigor , energy. Yet I said this kapha is a principle of structure.
      We find this ojas throughout the body at the cellular ( structural ) levels we can just say bodily tissues.

This ojas is the essence of the 7 dhatu's¹ we find in the body. Sometimes these are called tri-dhā́tu , threefold constituent parts which infer prāṇa, tejas and ojas. This in my opinion is a more subtler view of vāta , pitta, and kapha.

So this ojas is a big deal because it is found throughout the bodily system at the structural/tissue level. This ojas also contains the 5 tattva-s¹ within itself. Ojas with prāṇa controls the life-functions of the body. Since ojas is found throughout the body how does it get there? Via movement.
    Where does ~movement~ come from? vāta -> prāṇa -> life force. There is the connection.

Now what is interesting to me is the relationship of ojas and kapha. If we disturb/aggravate kalpa we disturb ojas. If ojas is decreased we disrupt vāta. We see this because as aforementioned ojas is greatly driven by kapha + prāṇa.

So as we disturb ojas we get kapha and vāta dis-orders. What are those - this can be diabetes ( kapha) , bone and joint issues (kapha as the 'lubricant' water and fluid); With vāta imbalance there may be some persistent fear, wind-related or ling related issue ( vayū ) , perhaps some hearing problems.

Now this ojas , say the vaidya's, has even a finer counterpart śukrala ( the essence of anything) and is found in the heart. This proves to be interesting connection with kapla, where we originally started. How so ?

If we dis-assemble kapla we get 'kap', which brings us to 'krap', defined as to be compassionate. Compassion comes from the heart psychologically and this too is a responsibility of ojas along with love, creativity, and peace. So , if there is some swell of love, ojas is there, if there is some lack of the same, then ojas is less.

What increases ojas? Balance. What stimulates ojas ? ghee. And when we're children ojas is increased via mother's milk.

This ojas is so refined, creative , and influenced by prāṇa, it is said we can increase our spiritual levels by transforming this ojas via prāṇayaṁ, tapas, and sādhana. What is occurring? Prāṇa is being refined, tapas stokes tejas properly for purification. I mention properly as too much tejas ( pitta) cooks; too much and we burn away the favorable conditions of ojas.

So too from this ojas and kaph we find beauty in appearance. This is a quality of kapha, that is kṛpā́ - beautiful appearance , beauty , splendor. Kapha brings out the beauty, the splendor in the individual as it is connected with ojas that is distributed thoughout our tissues.

So we add a few more important ~ingredients~ to our āyurvedic discussion: ojas + prāṇa + tejas . Yet there is more as tejas and agni within the 7 dhātu-s is worthy of discussion. More on that in a later post.

praṇām
    words
    • vaidya - medical , medicinal , practising or relating to medicine; skilled in the art of healing ; from vidyā ,versed in science
    • √vaj ' to be hard or strong ';
      • This is inferred from ugra , ojas , vajra , vāja
      • ojas - oj - to increase

• 5 tattva-s are the mahābhūta we know as either, air, fire, water earth as ~gross~ words for these.
    • dhātu constituent part , ingredient
    • āyurved is āyus + veda : āyus = life , vital power , vigor , health , duration of life , long life + ved = knowledge
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 May 2017 at 03:57 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information