Thread: Editing the Ganesha Purana

Editing the Ganesha Purana

Jai to all!! Thank you for accepting me into the Hindu Dharma Forums community. My name is Deva; short for Chaitanya deva das. I am editing the Ganesha Purana and would like to share this information with others.

My spiritual background started with ISKCON in 1976. I was initiated as a Vaisnava Brahmin in 1979 in Los Angeles. Although my spiritual life, as well as my worldly life, has taken some twists and turns since then, I do consider myself a Vaisnava. However, I do respect all other spiritual traditions, especially those stemming from great spiritual masters and avatars like Gautama Buddha and Adi Shankaracharya

About the Ganesha Purana - Thousands of years ago the sages at Naimasaranya, in India, under the auspicious guidance of Sri Saunaka Rsi, decided that for the benefit of mankind, a twelve year sacrifice of hearing the holy Puranas was to be performed. During this time, the renounced and renowned son of Sri Vyasadeva (the composer of the Puranas) Srila Sukadeva Gosvami, made his holy appearance before the sages. As part of this great sacrifice he recited and explained the Bhagavat Purana. After the completion of this Purana, and others as well, the sages, being desirous for more of the same nectar, asked the great sage Sri Suta Gosvami to continue reciting some of the other blessed Puranas. Suta concluded that the recitation of the Ganesha Purana was the best remedy for the anxious transcendentalists.

Who is the God Ganesha? Which god is he in the hierarchy of some six million demigods and goddesses of the Hindu pantheon? Is he a mythological character or is his existence based in reality? Only the sincere reader of the Ganesha Purana can conclude. It is also a matter of realization. There is a nice analogy in this regard. When Sir Isaac Newton saw an apple fall from a tree and hit the ground, he saw the Law of Gravity. When others see an apple fall from a tree, it is only an apple hitting the ground. One may conclude that Sir Isaac was educated in this regard. In the same way, in order to understand or realize spiritual knowledge, one must also try to become educated and learn this science, preferably under the guidance of a bona-fide teacher. The Vedic literatures, of which the Puranas belong, constantly give us examples of such transcendental teachers. After learning the basics from the guru, then we may dive deeper and acquire more understanding from the Puranas and many other spiritual texts.

If you are interested please visit my website www.aumganesha.com. There you will find information on the glorious Ganesha Purana.

-- Deva

Re: Editing the Ganesha Purana

Vannakkam Deva: Welcome to these forums. Ganesha certainly has made many a life more interesting and spiritual by his drawing us closer. Best wishes for contributions to this forum, and learnings from this forum.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Editing the Ganesha Purana

Namsate Deva,

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. I'd be interested to read whatever you come up with regarding the Ganesha Purana. Certainly, I can echo Eastern Mind when I say that Ganesha is the great Gatekeeper of spiritual living. I would never have been drawn to the beauty and wisdom of the Vedas were it not for Him. I hope you enjoy it here on HDF.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Thread Information