Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and Seeking Guidance

New and Seeking Guidance

My name is Jim, I was wondering if I had a way of receiving guidance towards becoming a Hindu Priest/Monk.

I would like to know about travel and stuff like who to consort with.

Re: New and Seeking Guidance

Hari Om!

Thanks for your post Jim. Not that I can offer much, but have you begun with the basics of sadhana, japa, pujas, etc? You didn't mention much about yourself.

I too would love such information so anyone with such, please graciously pass it along. I aspire more along the lines of monkhood as I feel from my lack of background in Sanatan Dharma that I would be of most benefit to those that I may be able to humbly serve.

Vannakkam Jim: Welcome to these forums. Firstly, in Hinduism, there is quite the difference between the terms priest and monk. Normally, a priest, sometimes called a pundit, is the caretaker of the vibration in a temple. it is normally an occupation taken by the Brahmin caste. You study a ton of Sanskrit and rituals. There are by birth Brahmin training schools in India, but its doubtful you would qualify. I saw one recently at a famous temple (Tiruparankundram) near Madurai, and the boys start their training at a very young age. It is often referred to as a Gurukulam. It was pleasant and inspiring to watch them in training.

A monk, on the other hand, is one who renounces the world. He takes vows of renunciation, giving up desires including wealth, status, lust, etc. Normally this path involves several years of study before renunciation. In America Hindu orders that would accept people are relatively few. The Ramakrishna Mission (I think, anyway) , Artha Vidya Gurukulam are but a few, but the first step would be to contact them and see what it's about. Any monastic Brotherhood adheres to a similar thought flow within themselves, so you may wish to do some extensive study first. If you go to Himalayan Academy's main site, there is a button on "How to Become a Monk' which will outline some of the disciplines expected not only within that order, but within others as well. All these schools of study would be quite traditional. There is also the idea of going to India, and becoming a traveling renunciate (sadhu) there, living on only what you beg for. Of course that would be quite extreme.

The ways of Hinduism are vast, so first I would suggest you explore the many facets. A great place to start is here, asking questions, where you can get a variety of viewpoints as well as valuable information.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 08 February 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Indeed, it's important to note that distinction between monks and priests. Priests are allowed to get married and work for a living etc. Monks traditionally did not perform any karmakanda that is relevant for the brahmacharis and grihastas. This is not applied in modern times so strictly by everyone anymore. Shankaracharya himself did the funeral rites of his mother after he took sannyasa which was considered taboo in the olden days.

Hari Om Jim!

I see from another post of yours that you have made a vow to become a priest. Given that, this won't be of much benefit, but for the sake of the thread, I thought that I'd include it. Perhaps it may still have some relevant information for you as well.

www.atmajyoti.org/ashram.asp

Om Namah Shivaya!

Clayton

www.atmajyoti.org/monastic.asp or browse the entire site for other related info too.

Vannakkam: Another view I found...

http://hinduonline.blogspot.com/2009...riests-or.html

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om Eastern Mind

Thank-you for the insights on the above mentioned ashram. Just to clarify, I was in no way promoting the ashram, mainly just the links to articles it provides on monastic life, sanyasa, and brahmacharya by Sw. Sivananda. It provides another option, especially for those over the age of 23 who are not normally accepted into the Himalayan Academy Ashram, although the information presented there is of benefit to many as well, including myself at the ripe old age of 41.

I will keep searching for other options and hope that other members will continue as well, if not for my sake, but for those who may not have come forward with similar needs or just those that are curious. Thanks for everyones efforts.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Vannakkam:

There are a lot of ways to serve besides becoming a monk. The advantage to joining an order is of course, its full time, and the brotherhood is supported by family members of said institution, or whatever method the monastery-math decides to help support itself. Most temples would welcome a volunteer cleaner or gardener. You can live like a monk, but part-time, in humble service that way.

I think the thing many westerners may not grasp is the overwhelming discipline that is needed to become a monk or sannyasin. You are truly expected to be pulling your weight. There are long hours of meditation, worship, undertaking certain vows, solitary confinement, etc. Of course this varies from place to place, but still it is no easy life no matter which order you may join.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste Smith and others.

It is good to be aware of the controversy regarding the Hindu credentials of the Atma Jyoti Ashram:

Atma Jyoti 'ashram' - Christian priests or swindlers?
    http://www.vigilonline.com/index.php...=1120&Itemid=1

Atma Jyoti Ashram: Christian Priests Uncloaked! —Catholic Ashrams: Adopting and Adapting Hindu Dharma
    http://hidf1.wordpress.com/2010/07/2...-hindu-dharma/

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    www.atmajyoti.org/monastic.asp or browse the entire site for other related info too.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information