Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Moving To India!

Help With Moving To India!

I know many people who post here are in India, and so you might be able to give me some pointers and what-not.

My family (me, wife, three daughters) are thinking of moving to India. My income from writing, as well as my pension from the Army, allows me to make a living from wherever I have a good Internet connection...so I don't need to worry about getting a job or anything.

What we'd REALLY like to do is buy property for cash, but since that might not be possible (since we're not Indian citizens) we might be open to some kind of long-term lease where we "basically" own it.

Essentially, here are the things we want:

1. A BIG house. We're used to living in 4000+ square feet Victorian houses. We don't want to "downgrade" to a tiny place. Maybe one of those places with the nice big courtyard in the center.

2. An old/traditional house. Something that has some interesting "style" to it. I currently live in a house from 1883, and I hate "modern" buildings.

3. Maybe not directly in the heart of the city...but near enough to a city that we don't have to travel too far to get to one.

4. Access to decent schooling for our daughters...and NOT in a Christian school.

So basically, if anyone has any advice on how to find such a place, or knows some "tricks" or other advice to help us...let me know. Thanks!

Re: Help With Moving To India!

I can't help you with the move, but I want to wish you so much happiness on your family's journey home.<3

Dear Bryon, while I feel proud as an Indian that you want to move to India, I have to agree with PARAM (but perhaves in less scary way), that it will not be the best decision - particularly with things you have in mind (big house etc). If you are used to staying in cramped apartments in busy metros of USA, then probably moving to cities like bangalore or mumbai won't be difficult. But that;s not what you have in mind.

India ranks low in so many development indices. Law and order is one of the worst in the world. Hindus inspite being a majority are still far from getting out of their coma. And then there is huge inequality which is very glaring to the eye. West is capitalist, but real inequality is only to be seen here.

With all this, I don't feel like welcoming you. Life probably can be lead much more peacefully else where.

But that said, there are many westerners who have made India their home and successfully so, for the calling was too powerful.

But, I suggest you come on-and off through tourist travels or for business reasons and get to know the country and life here better before making such a big decision. There are also gems in the Indian life which cannot be found in western living (I know since I have done both). But initial challanges would be huge, and I would like that you experience and think through those carefully. This is more so because you have a family with 3 kids. For a single person it would have been much easy and probably I wouldn't have scared you.

EM and other westerners who have been regular visitors can give you the best perspective. I encourage them to share their thoughts.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    The main interest that we have in moving there is due to my research in India. I mean, since I'm trying to write a textbooks on the history of India and Hinduism...it seems silly to be doing so from America, right?
    Then I suggest you visit alone and check it out yourself for a month or two, if its not a big problem for you and family. The idea of moving with 3 kids and wife is the main reason troubling me.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Then I suggest you visit alone and check it out yourself for a month or two, if its not a big problem for you and family.
    That's in the plan as well. This isn't something that I'm planning on doing like...next month or anything... I always spend a lot of time planning and researching before any big decision like this...and this discussion is merely "part one."

I am taking your (and PARAM's) cautions seriously however...

Vannakkam Bryon: I suggest you go to the website Indiamike and read up on what others there have said. The questions you pose have already been posed and answered there several times.

From my understanding it is incredibly difficult without a reason. India has laws against such moves. The normal visa is 6 months. Some people sort of manage it by traveling outside (Nepal or Sri Lanka usually) and re-applying for a new visa every 6 months. There are exceptions, of course, like working visas, student visas, even 10 year visas for exceptional purposes, or marrying an Indian National. Because the cost of living is so low, I believe India has put a stop to it so that every Tom Dick and Harry from Europe and the US doesn't just pack up and move, increasing an already problematic population problem. There are some countries (Malaysia for example) that actually encourage it with their 'Home away from Home' 10 year visa and cheap property deal. India, however, is not one such country.

But as you said, its a whim sort of, and obviously much more investigation on your part would need to occur. For sure property is more expensive than you might imagine, but again, that depends on where you want to move to. There would also be more fees attached to that.

A few letters or an interview with the local consulate or embassy would be another way of seeking answers.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Bryon,
    I was born and brought up in India. After my undergrad (Bachelor's degree), I moved to USA. I was there for 16 years. I moved back to Bangalore, India three years back. I can give you my first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    My family (me, wife, three daughters) re thinking of moving to India. My income from writing, as well as my pension from the Army, allows me to make a living from wherever I have a good Internet connection...so I don't need to worry about getting a job or anything.
    Internet is not an issue. You can get DSL or now 3G. So, if you want, you can sit in a coffee shop and do your work.

1. A BIG house. We're used to living in 4000+ square feet Victorian houses. We don't want to "downgrade" to a tiny place. Maybe one of those places with the nice big courtyard in the center.

2. An old/traditional house. Something that has some interesting "style" to it. I currently live in a house from 1883, and I hate "modern" buildings.

3. Maybe not directly in the heart of the city...but near enough to a city that we don't have to travel too far to get to one.
    This will be the toughest thing to do. There are not many 4000+ sq feet houses near or around houses. In India, the housing is mostly apartment type houses. However, there are villas (could be around 3K-3.5K sq feet) in a gated community in Bangalore, that should work well for you. In the gated community, everything is taken care of (basic amenities as well as security). In the community, people have visited various countries, so you could get a better community. I think this should work well for you. I would not suggest buying these things first, but renting it out. Stay for a while, you can get a feel, and then decide.

[qoute]
    4. Access to decent schooling for our daughters...and NOT in a Christian school.
    [/quote]
    Possible. There are international schools offering IG courses which are international courses. They can go there. The Indian boards can be difficult for foreigners, but these are international courses. One can use these to get admission to US Universities as well.

The expense might be higher than what you are projecting.
    PM me if you want more information.

HariH Om!

Dear Bryon,

You should not be wary of law and order situation etc. which is not as bad as is being projected in the posts above, mostly written by Indians who are not in India now. When you see from outside, you don't get a correct picture as the news which comes to us through media is normally sensational and exceptional. There are exceptions but exceptions don't make the rule.

Yes, EM has pointed out some really difficult issues to sort out :

i) It would be difficult for you to get a very long term VISA for yourself and your family. Please check it from Indian Embassy first. This is very very important because you have school going children with you.

ii) As the population of India is high, the property values in cities are very high. If you resolve your VISA issues, I would advise you take a flat in New Delhi or Bombay or Kolkata if you want to stay in a big city. If you prefer life at leisurely pace then I would advise you to try any hill station like Simla, Dehradun, Gangtok, Shillong etc.

iii) You may get much cheaper property in small places but that is not advisable as you are a foreigner and so you must stay in a place which is used to see many foreigners everyday to avoid any unnecessary attention.

iv) Schooling is not an issue. You can easily get a good school if you are ready to pay a handsome fee.

So, as others have advised you, you may make a lone visit to India and see things yourself.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam again Bryon: Just to further illustrate what I said before, you and harekrishna fall into different legal categories. He can apply and get with relative ease a PIO card (PIO meaning Person of Indian Origin). There are also other categories like NRIs or Non Resident Indian. You and me, on the other hand are simple foreigners with no status at all.

I cannot easily move to the US either. It may seem like it would be easy but it isn't. I need to get a green card, or only come 6 months at a time. There are certain ways around it, most of them extremely difficult like investing enough money into a business to provide jobs for Americans. I am not sure if the reverse applies regarding US citizens moving to Canada. Certainly you can't move up here and take advantage of our health care system, as there is something like having lived in Canada for 20 years as a stipulation. All countries have different laws, so best to look into it carefully. I've heard of careless people overstaying their 6 month Indian visitor visas, and gotten thrown in jail or deported with no further opportunity for another visa because of it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam again Bryon: Just to further illustrate what I said before, you and harekrishna fall into different legal categories. He can apply and get with relative ease a PIO card (PIO meaning Person of Indian Origin). There are also other categories like NRIs or Non Resident Indian. You and me, on the other hand are simple foreigners with no status at all.
    EM Jee,
    Agreed. First Bryon needs to make sure that he can legally do that. There might be a way to do that, he needs to figure that out.
    The point I was trying to make is that, with careful planning, it is possible to have a decent and comfortable life in India. The expectation and challenges are different than a developed soceity such as USA, so one has to pay close attention to it.
    HariH Om!

Thread Information