Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christian Evangelist Father Johnson Reveals That India Embraces Christianity

Re: Christian Evangelist Father Johnson Reveals That India Embraces Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I'd like to read more about the Hindu persecution in India, does anyone have a link?
    Wikipedia has an article on Hindu persecution, with a section on the persecution occurring in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecu...n_subcontinent

Re: Christian Evangelist Father Johnson Reveals That India Embraces Christianity

Deleted - System glitch - multiple posts.
    Last edited by Believer; 11 February 2011 at 11:18 PM.

at
    Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    If you ask me, the greatest fault lie with the Hindu religious leaders, jagatgurus, seers and saints who have displayed no social consciousness and geopolitical understanding for over a millenium.
    SM78, thank you for taking the time to list all the problems from your perspective. It must have been a very painful thing to do - to see the problems and not be able to do anything, other than to bring them to everyone's attention.

I concur with you on most thing. The high priests of other religions do consider the protection and propagation of their religion as one of their major tasks, which sadly is totally absent in Hinduism. The only reason I can think of for that, is that there is a total lack of spirituality in other religions. It is impossible for a spiritually realized soul to play that game. So the Hindu high priests, who are spiritually realized souls, can be excused on those grounds. But it is at the lower level, the every day 'pandits' who should be held accountable for that. For them priesthood is just a profession, a way to make a living by performing pujas/ceremonies/delivering sermons etc.. This bottom line clergy, who are in touch with temple going people on a daily basis are the ones who should be shaping the opinion of the common man. Even they could be under instructions from the temple management to desist from political talk, or if they own their temple, they might be afraid of the heavy hand of the politicians governing their area/district coming down to snuff them. As we know, politicians do have a host of goondas, who do their dirty work. Just my thoughts on who is responsible for this task of shaping the thinking of/electrifying the general population, and why they are not doing it.

Deleted - System glitch - Multiple posts.
    Last edited by Believer; 11 February 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Believer, I do feel that a religion's strength lies in not pushing it on people. Nothing gets people's attention like someone who's sure and doesn't care what the next person thinks.

No offence, but is the article for real? The Father Johnson guy says exactly what many Hindus would like to hear. Not that it is not true, but what are the odds of a Christian preacher openly saying things like "white man's burden" and admitting to devious modes of indoctrination?
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Believer, I do feel that a religion's strength lies in not pushing it on people. Nothing gets people's attention like someone who's sure and doesn't care what the next person thinks.
    Very true. If only all Hindus were such self conscious thinking individuals, no religion would have made in roads.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

namaste Sahasranama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I'd like to read more about the Hindu persecution in India, does anyone have a link?
    Please read these books if you haven't already:
    History of Hindu-Christian encounters
    http://www.voiceofdharma.com/books/hhce/

Hindu Society under Siege
    http://www.voiceofdharma.com/books/hsus/

This link has many books that deal with Hindu dharma rakShaNa:
    http://www.voiceofdharma.com/books.html
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Christianity must be wiped out. I am so sick of seeing demon spawn running around and converting everyone to Demonianity.

As I often myself travelling on road in south india, often through country side, I get to see the effects of christianity and how it is changing the indian society.

This time it was in a Bangalore suburb rural area on a Sunday evening and for a long strech of the road, Christian public congregations was very much in my face. Many churches, many of them decorated with lights on the Sunday evening, and some functions being held in open air under tents - very much like Hindu satsangs. Two functions seemed to be linked with a weird (from the poster) "Crusade for Christ" movement or cult? I could hardly any notice any Temple or Hindu funtions. There were small deserted temples in a few corners. In such situations it seems a little strange that Christianity is protrayed as a small minority in India. The father was right, India is indeed embracing Chirstianity and I wonder when official figures will start reflecting this fact.

After usual bout of sadness and depression at the state of affairs, and I began to wonder, why suddenly Hindus are embracing such a primitive and backward set of beliefs when their own religion offers much greater depth and spiritual relief. But people don't follow religions for spirituality. Religion is intrinsically related to society, culture and polictics, and even if Hindu religious leaders deny that fact, it won't change the reality. Spirituality needs no religion - not even Hinduism.

I thought how few or perhaves no practicing Brahmins, temple priests etc would ever probably accept Xianity, even after a 1000 preachings and display of fake miracles, even though they are equally or perhaves more financially needy when compared to the rural converting crowd. It is because these communities are actually involved in the Hindu religions with real commitments to it. For the rest of us, Hinduism demands no direct involvement or commitment, except donations to maintain these priests and the population of sadhus. We have very little or no ownership in our temples, we merely go there to offer our prayers, meditate and offer our donations. Beyond that we have no clue who runs these temples or their role in the community.

A church on the other hand offers a perfect socio-cultural and political congregation. People own what goes around their churches (or they are made to believe as such). At any rate they are much more involved with the Church activity than an average Hindu would be with the temples in their locality.

This non-involvement of average Hindus in temple affairs and consequently such low involvent of temples in the day to day life, culture and politics of a community has made them completely vulnerable. How long will they sustain purely on the common beliefs on local deities by the population. When you don't matter much, you cease to matter at all. This is what is happening with common man;s Hinduism - it has mattered so little for so long now, it is ceasing to matter at all. Xianity provides a much more vibrant social and communal well being, while temples are become relics of past ideals.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Thread Information