Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meera Nanda on Yoga not being Hindu

Re: Meera Nanda on Yoga not being Hindu

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    I guess westerners even invented the term right? It must be derived from Yogurt.
    Yes, they did. We can trace yoga back to the ancient tribe of grizzly bears.

Vannakkam Pietro: .... Hmmm... Yoghurt Yoga .. a catchy phrase maybe ... or Toga Yoga?

Seriously though, I think it really helps if Hindus actually practice hatha yoga. I know very few who do. I do know the Ganesha temple in Queens NYC offers a weekly class (in the basement, or separate hall, not in the temple itself) (maybe more) and then the correct context is right there in front of your eyes. When we claim that Yoga belongs to Hinduism, and then are asked directly, "Do you practice it (meaning the popular 'yoga' of the west) and we say, "No" it tends to diminish the original statement.

I think the temples should all have programs, and include a short aarti or chanting before, after, throughout, etc.

I'm curious as to how many people on HDF do yoga asanas as part of daily routine? I have just started again after a 25 year hiatus. Mostly because I'm worried about my arthritis becoming more crippling as the wretched bag of bones ages.

Aum Namasivaya

I practice asanas regularly, not every day though.

I have a video of the Anusara yoga workshop "the grand gathering" I was pleasently surprised to see that they did kirtana chanting aum namah shivaya, shivaya namah aum and sita rama sita rama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Yes, they did. We can trace yoga back to the ancient tribe of grizzly bears.

Unimpeachable evidence this. Meera Nanda should have included this in her article.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Pietro: .... Hmmm... Yoghurt Yoga .. a catchy phrase maybe ... or Toga Yoga?

Seriously though, I think it really helps if Hindus actually practice hatha yoga. I know very few who do. I do know the Ganesha temple in Queens NYC offers a weekly class (in the basement, or separate hall, not in the temple itself) (maybe more) and then the correct context is right there in front of your eyes. When we claim that Yoga belongs to Hinduism, and then are asked directly, "Do you practice it (meaning the popular 'yoga' of the west) and we say, "No" it tends to diminish the original statement.

I think the temples should all have programs, and include a short aarti or chanting before, after, throughout, etc.

I'm curious as to how many people on HDF do yoga asanas as part of daily routine? I have just started again after a 25 year hiatus. Mostly because I'm worried about my arthritis becoming more crippling as the wretched bag of bones ages.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste Eastern Mindji,

I agree, it doesn't help our cause if most Hindus themselves don't actually do hatha yoga. I do yoga asanas a few times a week, and I am trying to incorporate it into my daily routine.

Jai Sri Ram

Ok. Not to put too much emphasis on this, but here is something interesting.

Meera Nanda is a John Templeton Foundation Fellow in Religion and Science (2005-2007). She is the author of ‘Prophets Facing Backward: Postmodernism, Science and Hindu Nationalism’ (Rutgers University Press, 2004), ‘Postmodernism and Religious Fundamentalism: A Scientific Rebuttal to Hindu Science’ (Navayana, 2003) and ‘Breaking the Spell of Dharma and Other Essays’ (Three Essays, 2002). Source: http://www.threeessays.com/titles.php?id=4

Recently, she wrote against the atheist writer Sam Harris for advocating meditation and Buddhist and Hindu traditions: https://www.readability.com/articles/2la3ga5w/

And this: http://newhumanist.org.uk/973/spirited-away

Do read the comments too. It's good fun!

Someone told me the Templeton Foundation has Southern Baptist leanings, but I don't know for sure.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

7. Re: Meera Nanda on Yoga not being Hindu

Yoga (yOg)is old Vadic product, even Bhagwan Krishna was a Yogi; during the time of Buddhism rise yoga was declined, and with the time of Pushyamitra Shung it was restarted with Pushyamitra's Purohit Pantjali.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Meera Nanda is the epitome of the so-called Hindu "Hindu-basher". She supports abrahamic viewpoints; that's enough to say what type of person she really is; scum.

Okay. The Meera Nanda vs Yoga debate continues. I have compiled a link-filled summary here on my blog.

http://www.vmohanty.com/2011/meera-n...s-yoga-part-2/
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Thread Information