Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new way

Re: A new way

This is why I came here, I looked and found such confusion among lists.

I did not know you did also eat potatoes and onions in India (although I thought onions were bad so I decided to cut back), that is really awesome. It is one of my favorite foods. Until recently I did not know that in the South of India you all eat those long beans. Those are absolutely my favorite food of all. E.M. was telling me how much they eat where he lives...and I was surprised we had such similar likes to each other, despite our distance. I really wish there was a thread so we could hear about each of your lives and all the information you know.

Sahasranama, you are a huge heap of information...and I am grateful for every single word<3
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 15 February 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: to say about onions-

Onions are very healthy in moderation, but because of their rajasic nature, you cannot offer them as prasadam or eat them while fasting. Hare Krishna's only eat prasadam, therefore they can't eat any non-sattvik vegetables like onions and garlic at all. I like long beans too, it's also very popular in Surinam where my parents come from.

Vannakkam Naya: I'm sure you already know this but a great way to break a fast is with honey. Gives you back some of the sugar your body may be dieing (no pun intended) for. I really think your observation on age has a lot to do with it. There are a ton of things that body age impacts. For me, the most obvious was the time it takes to recuperate a muscle strain, like a sprained ankle. When we were 15 it was 2 days. Now its 2 weeks. Please don't beat yourself up over it. My one attempt at a longer fast (6 days for Skanda Shasthi) was broken with some delicious banana some colleague brought to school and shoved past my face. At least it seemed like it was in my face ... probably was next door in her classroom.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    It is more or less forty, from new moon to new moon. Not for any christian day. Very interesting that some would take the bible so literal...this explains the christian and her preoccupation with that number.

I didn't put them together until just now thanks to you.

Oh I should also mention, that after such a long time of weeks it takes many days for me to ramp down enough to eat actual solid food. Which is why I say more or less forty. It can be 34 or 36.
    So basically you have been attempting a self made version of the ancient chandrayana vrata, where one fasts from full moon to full moon.

However, in the chandrayan vrata one starts with a full meal in the starting full moon day and with each day of waning of the moon, one decreases the amount of food (1/16th portion) such that at the 16th new moon day one goes completely without food (actual fast) ... then with the waxing of the moon one starts eating again till next full moon day, gradually increasing the amount of each day till it reaches normal diet on the full moon day.

The message I believe is not to go for complete fast for multiple days.

I have never been in your position so can't suggest much. I get headache if I fast for half a day and realized that fasting is not for me. It does cleanses the system when done occationally, but beyond that I am not sure of its spiritual value.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

This fast, I was unaware of so I had to look it up. When I looked it up I found it in the Sri Garuda Purana. Oddly enough I had been feeling like I should read Garuda Purana lately, as it kept coming up when I researched things from the forum and read deeper.

It does not surprise me there is some underlying reason for my inclination, despite not getting it absolutely correct. As a child I would offer my food to God, much to my parents confusion. You can take a follower of SD out of their homeland, dump them into hell...and somehow they will find the Truth.

I thank these wondrous eternal Gurus, Beloved Brahma, Beloved Vishnu, Beloved Shiva for bringing me to your feet. Without it I would have remained in the darkness of ignorance.

It does not surprise me there is some underlying reason for my inclination, despite not getting it absolutely correct.
    Now you will get it right next time . It is indeed surprizing that you thought of new moon to new moon vrata by yourself.

But you flatter me too much, I am a very ordinary and unevolved person as of now.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

namaste nayasurya,
    Please eat something.
    satay

I did, I did...it was potatoes...of course

Dear Nayasurya,

Fruit - non acidic - like bananas, grapes, ripe pears, sweet mango (completely ripe) or sweet apples (red delicious will be fine) - with a cup of milk - if milk is part of yr diet - in fact this is the satvicest food.

Next step/day(s) - if you do not want to continue simply on fruit sugar, then potato, yams or non-sweet Indian yams called "ratALa" are good starch choices. Boiled potatoes work well with yogurt, butter or just saute'd on jeera. Jeera (cumin, an Indian spice) is good for the stomach and common in fast recipes.

Some people include singoda flour (shingada / kuttu) (waterchestnut flour or buckwheat four) as upavas item, and some don't. I don't use these fancy things on Ekadashi or Mahashivratri, but it is not a grain, bean or pulse so your choice.

Then there is sabudana : tapioca or sago , tiny white pearls. You must be familiar with tapioca pudding, and a similar "pudding" or kheer is good, so is sabudana khichadi. I don't bother with cooking it just for myself, unless KRshNa says He would like to have it I shall post the recipe(s) as soon as i can.

Of course, a handful of nuts - peanuts go well with potato and sabudana, but they may tilt on the rajasic side. Almonds walnut - sattvic...

I am glad you have decided to eat something or else KRshNa would be in tears.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I did, I did...it was potatoes...of course
    Vannakkam: I still have a few of Ganesha's garden's spuds in my cold room. Now them ones are exceptionally healthy. Organic, and in Ganesha's garden. What better prasad could there be? Have you planted your garden yet? It will be awhile here as the temple parking lot had all its snow removed and pushed to atop the vegetable garden. About 10 feet high or more. That dirt will be sticky indeed. I wish I was your neighbor because I'd put on the teenage attitude and come steal those long beans you grow. Maybe a coupla squashes too. Long drive for a few beans though.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information