Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hoax called Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam

The hoax called Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam

http://bharatendu.wordpress.com/2008...1-hitopadesha/

http://bharatendu.wordpress.com/2008...-kutumbakam-2/

http://bharatendu.wordpress.com/2008...-kutumbakam-3/

This is a good example of what trouble arises when people do not understand the scriptures and other literature in their proper context. Simple platitudes like Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam are repeated by pacifists while the origin of this saying was satirical! This just shows the thoughtlessness of politicians and babas who repeat Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam like parrots. Very knowledgeable blog writer, I can recommend to look at his other articles as well.

Look at all the sheeple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cl-oZ_UW8
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 16 February 2011 at 07:06 AM.

Re: The hoax called Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam

Good article! Although I have to say I do like Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (and his efforts). He seems to be unabashedly Hindu while helping a lot of people in India and abroad.

I'm all for crushing our enemies (and making it quite fun in the process), but we must tread carefully.

Great article, thanks for the links.

so, you don't like the idea of the whole world being one family? are you more partial to nationalism, ethnocentrism and war?

No, I am cautioning the deers trusting the wolves thinking vasudhaiva kutumbakam. The articles explain the original context of the words vasudhaiva kutumbakam which was a caution against naivety. We can all sing kumbaya my lord, vasudhaiva kutumbakam, but foreign countries will still invade, Christians will still send their missionaries, muslims will still send their terrorist bombers, Hindus will continue to be persecuted in their own country, the west will still try to exploit India. The only message here is to keep your eyes open. India once was a country of shrewd people like Chanakya Pandit, I don't know what has happened now.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 23 March 2011 at 07:12 AM.

6. Re: The hoax called Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam

Great Great

Wise person wise mind
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    No, I am cautioning the deers trusting the wolves thinking vasudhaiva kutumbakam. The articles explain the original context of the words vasudhaiva kutumbakam which was a caution against naivety. We can all sing kumbaya my lord, vasudhaiva kutumbakam, but foreign countries will still invade, Christians will still send their missionaries, muslims will still send their terrorist bombers, Hindus will continue to be persecuted in their own country, the west will still try to exploit India. The only message here is to keep your eyes open. India once was a country of shrewd people like Chanakya Pandit, I don't know what has happened now.

namaste everyone.

The universal meaning of 'all the world is one family' is derived from the meaning 'world, people' in the term vasudhA and applying it to 'family, household' in the term kuTumbakam.

The primary meaning of the terms vasuda, vasudA, vasudhA are all related to wealth: while vasuda and vasudA relate to granting wealth, vasudhA relates to producing wealth. The meanings 'earth, wold, people therein' all are derived only from this meaning of wealth. It seems that the terms are used in the Vedas as related to wealth (as seen in the compilation 'Vedic Concordance': eg. vasudevasya in RV 1.54.9d, vasudAm in RV 8.99.4a, vasudhitI in RV 3.31.17a, vasudhAnaH in Ch.Up.3.15.1, etc.)

Thus, the literal meaning of the statement vasudhA eva kuTumbakam seems to be that which produces wealth (considers all its wealth) as a family, thus clearly indicating that the viewpoint of the family is at the level of that which produces, gives, and grants wealth, rather than from the viewpoint of the members of the wealth itself.

This means that

• the mAtru-bhUmi--Mother Earth, who produces all her wealth, grants equal prosperity to all the members of her wealth of humans, considering them as one family;

• the mother who produces all the human wealth of the world, grants them equal nourishment considering them as her family;

although, obviously, the children themselves, whether of the earth or of a mother, do not in practice, consider their own kith and kin as of the same family.

Nature unites all humans in their biological makeup. She unites all her chetana--sentient, wealth at the level of prANa and downwards, and achetana--insentient, wealth at the atomic level physically and further down as universal consciousness. The grosser the level the lesser the implementation of the principle of vasudeva kuTumbakam.

I think this is the right understanding of the world famous Hindu adage. Not because I said it, but because anyone who goes from the context can see it. The broad-mindedness of unity comes only at the level of the bird's eye view.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Pranam Saidevo

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste everyone.

The universal meaning of 'all the world is one family' is derived from the meaning 'world, people' in the term vasudhA and applying it to 'family, household' in the term kuTumbakam.
    It is intriguing how we formulate our opinion starting from a base and then proceed to find justification for our stand. Why Vasudeva Kutumbaka suddenly becomes unpalatable for some because we have aversion to universal concept (not without justification I may add) but should we become so paranoid that we forget that the whole creation can not be separate for different followers however right or wrong, good or evil we may be.
    As Krishna says I am the seed giving father, all off us are that seed so does that not make us all the Family=Kutumb, Vasudev Kutumbak?

And why should we not perceive everything as Vasudev or part of his family?

bahūnāṃ janmanām ante jñānavān māṃ prapadyate
    vāsudevaḥ sarvam iti sa mahātmā sudurlabhaḥ 7.19

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 19 April 2011 at 06:40 AM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

And why should we not perceive everything as Vasudev or part of his family?
    Even kauravas and pandavas were born in one family.

Why Vasudeva Kutumbaka suddenly becomes unpalatable for some because we have aversion to universal concept

It did not "suddenly"
    become unpalatable, the verse was originally used as a caution against untrustworthy people. There is some truth in the statement "vasudhaiva kutumbakam," but what the stories in the Hitopadesha and the Panchatantra are telling is to be cautious, because not everyone is our well-wisher.

Another problem is that Babas are quoting vasudhaiva kutumbakam like it is some authoritive statement from shastra, while in actuality it was first mentioned in a book of fables which was authored to teach a lazy prince some lessons of life.
    This shows a lot of ignorance on the part of these Babas.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 21 April 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Thread Information