Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
It has been quite a while since I have visited India and therefore, would like to know from those who have visited India:

1). Whether the poverty is as bad as is portrayed in our lovable Western media and (faulty and Western relative) statistics.
2). Whether people do still give a damn about the caste system and whether caste-caste violence is still rampant in the cities and rural areas, as is portrayed in our lovable Western media.
3). Whether Hinduism is declining, as is portrayed in our lovable Western media, or is actually rising (meaning Bhakti forms are dying out and true Hinduism, the philosophical side of it, is gaining ground)
4). Whether the Indian middle class is filled with people who just party all night and get drunk all the time, as is portrayed in our lovable Western media, or contains people who work hard and care about their future
5). Whether India is becoming increasingly Western and breaking away from its cultural and spiritual roots, as in portrayed in our lovable Western media, or is becomingly Western superficially and is spiritually advancing.
6). Whether corruption is a big problem in India, as is portrayed in our lovable Western media, or is fast declining and much lower than its previous levels.

I really need to know for the sake of my sanity. I am so sick of being besieged with snide remarks on how "uncivilized" and "poor" India is.
I have been living in india all my life and each and every point is true. I am not a fan of the west, but they always portray the harsh facts rather than indian media or mindset should i say, who ignore that part and want to believe india is always great without going to the streets and without giving a damn about the social and economic inequality.