Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: praying to lord krishna

Re: praying to lord krishna

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    KRushNa loves you anyway

Just live in the bliss of His Leelas with you, sing His glories (for your own happiness), and don't be too attached to the material. Take one step towards Him, He will take N towards you.

KRushNa is bhakta-vatsal, He runs to the rescue of His devotees just as He saved Maharaj Parikshit in UttarA's womb. That is why devotees care less - come what may.

He Gopal Radha Krishna Govind Govind

JanmAshtami special: hAthi ghodA pAlkhi jai kanhaiyA lAl ki

Jay rAdhA-mAdhav kunjabihAri
    gopijana-vallabha girivardhAri
    yashonandana brajajanaranjana
    yamunAteera vanachAri

He was afraid that KRshNa will protect your intelligence and you will see through: either the scam if there was one OR the futility of his recommended ways (of some specific pujas and praying to other devtas).

BG 10.7: One who is factually convinced of this opulence and mystic power of Mine engages in unalloyed devotional service; of this there is no doubt.

BG 10.8: I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who perfectly know this engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts.

BG 10.9: The thoughts of My pure devotees dwell in Me, their lives are fully devoted to My service, and they derive great satisfaction and bliss from always enlightening one another and conversing about Me.

BG 10.10: To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me.

BG 10.11: To show them special mercy, I, dwelling in their hearts, destroy with the shining lamp of knowledge the darkness born of ignorance.

the weird part is i have had alot of people try to convince me of this and im sure in the future that there will be many more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by eshwaar View Post
    - Who's this astrologer? i dont know who he is he just came up to me and started telling me that because i pray only to lord krishna that i am disturbing him, and because of this lord krishna is making my life difficult. he saod that i should be praying to the demigods instead.
    - What are his spiritual practices? i really dont know. i just know he is tamil. i only knew him a short while, really he was a costumer at a shop i worked at, and he just started telling me these things. i didnt keep in touch with him, for the simple reason that all what he said didnt make sense at all, if i shouldnt be praying to lord krishna that why did he say that i should be praying to him in the gita.
    Namaste

There are two kinds of people or beliefs mostly:
    1. Pray to the devtas that help you prosper in the material world. Follow dharma, but ask/wish for material well-being. Keep the family deity (KuladevatA - one of the many forms of Devi) and Lord GaNesh happy. Perform SatyanArAyaN puja for success. Worship HanumAn to remove obstacles. This is very common among householders (which makes 90% of the population).

Nothing wrong with this. These are good people, mean no harm to anyone, but they do not perform "devotional service" to KRshNa. KRshNa may be on their altar, but that's about it. Their connection with God is mainly of success in the material world and gratitude for that.

Dharma - artha - kAma - moksha. 4 purushArthas.

2. Those who actually follow Bhagavad Gita seriously are putting their life in the hands of BhagavAn, Shri KRshNa. They serve and love KRshNa. The process of detachment from the world has to start somewhere, otherwise one will remain in this world, taking births and experiencing kArmic reactions, thinking they are this body, thus staying away from Shri KRshNa.

KRshNa says people who worship the devtAs obtain fruits that are sanctioned by Me alone, but these are temporary, transient, moreover their worship is avidhipUrvakam as they do not know the true nature - swaroop , of the Supreme.

So, if the astrologer could read your face and tell you have had a hard life, he was looking at it from his perspective: "This is happening because this person does not worship devta X, Y and Z." He knows that as long as you take the Gita seriously, you will not hold onto any anchors other than the Lord Himself.
    When KRshNa sees that one is dependant on Him alone, He feels the seperation from the bhakta, and wants to bring him closer. But when people see karma at work they say "KRshNa is doing this." That is the psychology. However, to go to KRshNa, our karmabase-quiver of action-arrows has to be empty so that we cannot pull a single arrow anymore to shoot and thus add to our kArmic debt.

Even if hypothetically someone who prays to KRshNa is a dormant ShishupAl or KauMs, KRshNa anhiliates them and dilivers them. It is saubhAgya, fortune, to die at His hands.

yadā yadā hi dharmasya glānir bhavati bhārata
    abhyutthānam adharmasya tadātmānaḿ sṛjāmy aham
    BG 4.7
    Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion — at that time I descend Myself.
    paritrāṇāya sādhūnāḿ vināśāya ca duṣkṛtām
    dharma-saḿsthāpanārthāya sambhavāmi yuge yuge
    BG4.8
    To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium.

So in today's world, the asurs, ShishupAls and KauMs are within us, not necessarily outside. KRshNa brings out the saint in us and destroys the demons in us.

You should hear suktas from the Vedas. They first praise and praise the devtA being worshiped. Then the shlokas actually demand things.

KRshNa says to Arjuna: do not get swayed by the flowery verses in the karma kAnda of the vedas.

If you think these astrologers will keep coming to you (remember, they do it for a living) and try to convince you, it is your turn now - to be strong. Strong means increasing faith. Starting with nishthaa shraddhaa ruchi ......

Another point: Have you read Garud PurAN ? It talks about ghosts and spirits too. If some of these people are telling you there are ghosts doing things, that may be, but guess what is the most auspicious thing that wards off spirits ? HarinAm. The Holy Names. and VishNu prasAd or eating Hari prasAd and practicing devotion to Hari. Moreover, KRshNa Himself. If we take shelter of Him, what ghost and spirit can stand a chance ?

Story: Once, ISKCON required space and decided upon a building. Disciples told Shrila PrabhupAd that the building is known to be haunted. Shrila PrabhupAd took his japa mala and said "Let me check." He walked through each room chanting the mahAmantra loudly. Then he came out into the yard and said there is no need to worry, that they may proceed with this building.

Hare KRshNa Hare KRshNa KRshNa KrshNA Hare Hare
    Hare RAm Hare RAm RAm RAm Hare Hare
    Last edited by smaranam; 06 March 2011 at 08:56 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I hope this isn't off topic....When I pray to Lord Krishna, I envision both Krishna and Sri Radha in my mind. Is this proper? I have read internet sources that refer to God as Lord Radha-Krishna. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMB View Post
    I hope this isn't off topic....When I pray to Lord Krishna, I envision both Krishna and Sri Radha in my mind. Is this proper? I have read internet sources that refer to God as Lord Radha-Krishna. Is this correct?
    Namaste Patrick,

Certainly, that is very common. Sri Krishna can be worshipped by Himself, Sri Radha can be worshipped by Herself, of both can be worshipped together as Radha-Krishna. It's whatever your comfortable with, really.

Jai Sri Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Sri Krishna can be worshipped by Himself, Sri Radha can be worshipped by Herself, of both can be worshipped together as Radha-Krishna. It's whatever your comfortable with, really.

Jai Sri Ram
    Namaste,

Well wouldn't exactly put it that way. Radha is not worshipped by Herself. It appears that way when bhaktas are deeply engrossed in a very specialized ras but it is really bhajan of KrushNa.

RAdhA is the internal pleasure potency, hlAdini shakti, of Shri KrushNa. Service, attention and love for RAdhA pleases Shri KrushNa.

Gaudiya VaishNav view of Radha-KrushNa : http://www.krishna.com/god-male-female-or-both

VaishNavs, especially Gaudiya VaishNavs and followers of Nimbarka sampraday say, "The way to Shri KrushNa is through RAdhA." She will recommend you as a good devotee to Him and He cannot refuse to acknowledge.
    "RAdhe RAdhe japo chale ayenge BihAri" - chant RAdhA's names and find KrushNa walk up to the place where that sound is coming from. He is attracted to Her names.
    "Bin RAdhe na mile BanwAri" - a bhakta's sentiment that you cannot be in KrushN's good books without gaining favor of RAdhA.

However, Shri KrushNa is the ultimate BhagavAn, who is also worshipped by Himself as Yogeshwar KrushNa, BAl KrushNa (baby), Shri nAthJi, DAmodar (but also as Radha-Damodar), Shri DwArkAdheesh, Murlidhar Shri KrushNa by Himself. Particularly, the Rudra sampradAy i.e. Shri VallabhAcharya's Pushti MArg followers worship Shri KrushNa swaroop (form) alone, without the archa vigraha (Deity form) of His shaktis.

Shri VaishNavs (followers of Ramanujacharya) worship Lakshmi-NArAyaN or RukmiNi-DwArkAdheesh.

Shri Vyankateshwar (a form of Lord VishNu) is worshipped alone as well as with His consorts Shri Devi (Lakshmi) and Bhu Devi - Mother Earth (and sometimes Nila Devi).

Let us hope that the much knowledgable VaishNavs here will add to this or give a better perspective. In the meanwhile, please read this: Most Popular Deity Forms

praNAm

Jai Jagadhish Jai Jagadhish Jay Jagadheesha Hare ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 18 April 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: I'm convinced: That Natkhat NandaNandan has been making me spell His name wrong - much to my horror :)

Thank you both for your replies and input. I have so much to learn! That is the main reason I joined this community.

I hope I do not offend anyone, but Radha sounds a little like Mary in the Catholic tradition. Catholics do not worship her, but Lord Jesus will not resist any prayers offered in her name. If I am mistaken, please attribute my error to intelletual ignorance, not to any bad motive.

thank you,

Patrick

Radha is worshipped most often together with Krishna. In shakta and nothern vaishnava literature she is known as the highest shakti of Krishna, the hladini shakti (bliss energy). Ultimately there is no difference between Radha and Krishna as is stated in the Brahmavaivarta Purana.

राधामाधवयोर्भेदो न पुराणे श्रुतौ तथा
    rādhāmādhavayorbhedo na purāṇe śrutau tathā

This means there is no difference between Radha and Madhava (Krishna), this is from a stotra in the Brahmavaivarta Purana.

Pranam

but Radha sounds a little like Mary in the Catholic tradition. Catholics do not worship her, but Lord Jesus will not resist any prayers offered in her name. If I am mistaken, please attribute my error to intelletual ignorance, not to any bad motive.

thank you,

Patrick
    Just to point out the differences Radha is most definitely worshiped, we have a saying Bina Radha Krishna is Adhura, without Radha Krishna is incomplete.
    Mary is mother of Jeasus while Srimati Radha is eternal consort of Lord Krishna.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Mary is mother of Jeasus while Srimati Radha is eternal consort of Lord Krishna.

Jai Shree Krishna
    PraNAm Ganeshprasadji,

This is a very common qn coming from Christian bkgnd, logic being if Mary is the Mother of Jesus who is the Son of the Father (Shri KrushNa), then Mary must be Radha ! So what do we tell them ? - "just keep that box aside."

Jai Shri KrushNa

P.S. For a jiva, Radha is in fact the fountainhead of shaktis hence the Divine Mother as well as sakhi
    Last edited by smaranam; 20 April 2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: afterthought

Namaste,

When I pray to Lord Krishna, I envision both Krishna and Sri Radha in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Ultimately there is no difference between Radha and Krishna as is stated in the Brahmavaivarta Purana.

राधामाधवयोर्भेदो न पुराणे श्रुतौ तथा
    rādhāmādhavayorbhedo na purāṇe śrutau tathā

This means there is no difference between Radha and Madhava (Krishna), this is from a stotra in the Brahmavaivarta Purana.
    Yes, Brahmavaivarta PurAN is the best place for a scriptural quote.

If one stares at KrushNa long enough, what do you see ? That karuNAmayee RAdhA

REMINDER: Please don't forget to wear the kAjal-of-Love first (kAjal is similar to mascara) , before doing this exercise.
    WARNING: That natkhat NandaKishore ChitChor might trick you into a staring contest instead - please don't fall for it.

Tvam eva mAtA cha pitA tvam eva
    tvam eva bandhuscha sakhA tvam eva
    tvam eva vidyA draviNam tvam eva
    tvam eva sarvam mama deva deva

You alone are my mother, father, sister, friend, and Dearest,
    You alone are my knowledge, wealth, sarvasva - Everything,
    You are the Ultimate Supreme Lord to me.

I do not need a seperate archa vigraha of Radha,
    I see Radha in You,
    Ladhe Ladhe ~

Thread Information