Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: interracial marriage

  1. #1

    interracial marriage

    what does hinduism say about interracial marriages. i know as a culture it is frowned on. because our parents taught us that we must keep up our culture, which is what i believe. i have seen interracial marriage and it the kids who suffer the most cause the kids have no culture/reliegion to speak of. if that is the cause and were all ended up mixed up then my question is what would happen to all the religions of the world. people would soon to forget them. then there would be no religions cause by then no one would belive in god.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    October 2010
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    622
    Rep Power
    2220

    Re: interracial marriage

    Namast, eshwaar,

    This thread - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6138 - from the "Hot Topics" area of the forum may provide some ideas on the subject...

    Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    January 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by eshwaar View Post
    what does hinduism say about interracial marriages. i know as a culture it is frowned on. because our parents taught us that we must keep up our culture, which is what i believe. i have seen interracial marriage and it the kids who suffer the most cause the kids have no culture/reliegion to speak of. if that is the cause and were all ended up mixed up then my question is what would happen to all the religions of the world. people would soon to forget them. then there would be no religions cause by then no one would belive in god.
    If you take that one step further, this is why inter-caste marriage was also dissuaded. Too bad people don't see the validity in that.

    Marriage, in and of itself, is a difficult thing I presume. There are so many factors that come into play; ego, emotions, background, upbringing, education, likes, dislikes etc. etc. If you add more unknown factors such as different caste, different race, different religion, the probability that the marriage will succeed is even smaller. This is simply a secular outlook on marriage. If you take religion into account, then the progress of the jIvA is fundamental, or rather, the only purpose, of birth. Marriage is supposed to help both spouses in that regard. Thus, interracial and inter-caste marriage should always be discouraged.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,190
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    5020

    Re: interracial marriage

    Vannakkam eshwaar: There are many many factors that come into play besides race. Interests, economics, religion, sex drive, appearance, self-esteem, food, music, political alliances, family traditions and more. Which ones cause marital disharmony? I would say the answer is 'any of the above' with race in and of itself not being the highest on the list. I think its quite the jump to say that just because race is different, so is religion. In today's world we have every race practising every religion. I wouldn't advise interfaith marriages; in fact I've seen several not work. But using examples isn't any valid proof of anything.

    I think a really strong religious Hindu of Indian descent would be wiser to bless a daughter's marriage to a white Hindu than an Indian Christian. This is mostly because race is superficial whereas religion is much deeper.

    Aum Namasivaya

  5. #5
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    The Holy Land - India
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    5092

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Marriage, in and of itself, is a difficult thing I presume. ........
    Thus, interracial and inter-caste marriage should always be discouraged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    There are many many factors that come into play besides race. Interests, economics, religion, sex drive, appearance, self-esteem, food, music, political alliances, family traditions and more. Which ones cause marital disharmony? ..........

    I think a really strong religious Hindu of Indian descent would be wiser to bless a daughter's marriage to a white Hindu than an Indian Christian. This is mostly because race is superficial whereas religion is much deeper.
    Both of you have made some very valid points. One thing that has not been touched upon is the environment of Indian kids in foreign lands. If the kids grow up in the suburbs with very few other Indians, what choice do they have but to marry someone of another race? In many ways we, the parents have failed. We came here, raised our kids, nourished them physically, but not much in terms of religion/spirituality. To top it off, we were unable to provide an environment where there were plenty of other 'Indian' kids to associate with. This led to many of them marrying people of different races.

    We can disassociate ourselves from reality and make some sweeping statements like inter-racial, or inter-caste marriage should be discouraged. But, very often, we the parents, fail to provide any alternatives. In such cases, I agree with EM, that they are better off marrying a white Hindu than an Indian Xitian. Of course this point of view is applicable only to Hindu Indians living overseas. In India, where there is plenty of opportunity for interaction within one's own racial group, marriage would be smoother if the religious/social/economic/educational level of the two parties are almost identical. That is the essence of an 'arranged marriage' - finding maximum compatibility for ease of relationship between two individuals, and peace/harmony for the extended family.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    64
    Posts
    7,563
    Rep Power
    352

    Re: interracial marriage

     
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

    namasté


    They say Love is blind. Yet when we say what is right and wrong we bring in the rational mind. There lies the pickle.
    Trying to explain to the heart what is rational is a feat unto itself.

    Then one must ask is it really love, or passion that brings a couple together ? Being new to love ( when young) it is an overwhelming
    upliftment of spirit and mind. You think it will stay this way forever. Yet time steps in and one's metal is tested.

    praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 23 February 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  7. #7
    Join Date
    January 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I think a really strong religious Hindu of Indian descent would be wiser to bless a daughter's marriage to a white Hindu than an Indian Christian.
    Aum Namasivaya
    EM,

    That is a good point. I am sure though that there are more than enough Hindu/Indian males who are bachelors.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    February 2011
    Location
    st louis, usa
    Posts
    700
    Rep Power
    1506

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam eshwaar: There are many many factors that come into play besides race. Interests, economics, religion, sex drive, appearance, self-esteem, food, music, political alliances, family traditions and more. Which ones cause marital disharmony? I would say the answer is 'any of the above' with race in and of itself not being the highest on the list. I think its quite the jump to say that just because race is different, so is religion. In today's world we have every race practising every religion. I wouldn't advise interfaith marriages; in fact I've seen several not work. But using examples isn't any valid proof of anything.

    I think a really strong religious Hindu of Indian descent would be wiser to bless a daughter's marriage to a white Hindu than an Indian Christian. This is mostly because race is superficial whereas religion is much deeper.

    Aum Namasivaya
    Agree EM ji,Namaste.
    hope the caucasian hindus soon will reach the much needed critical mass. In the latter case why just marriages, ideally they must take over the hindu faith in the west and form a global coalition to help save the beleaguered religion from the ruthless abrahamist onslaught.shanti

  9. #9
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,190
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    5020

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Agree EM ji,Namaste.
    hope the caucasian hindus soon will reach the much needed critical mass. In the latter case why just marriages, ideally they must take over the hindu faith in the west and form a global coalition to help save the beleaguered religion from the ruthless abrahamist onslaught.shanti
    Vannakkam:

    Unfortunately, from my experience, hard core western Hindus are quite few in number, as you say. Many lean to universalism or yoga only, and many retain Christian beliefs even though they pretend not to. True conversion is extremely difficult and takes a very long time. For many its just cool and a phase. Of course this is just my opinion. Often the real stuff comes out in casual conversation or in actions.

    Aum Namasivaya

  10. #10
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    The Holy Land - India
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    5092

    Re: interracial marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Unfortunately, from my experience, hard core western Hindus are quite few in number....
    -
    Many lean to universalism or yoga only, and many retain Christian beliefs even though they pretend not to.....
    -
    For many its just cool and a phase..........
    -
    Often the real stuff comes out in casual conversation or in actions.
    Something I have been harping about for a long time. Finally a validation.
    Thanks EM!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •