Thread: king janaka

king janaka

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

There is a story told about king janaka¹ with different accounts on how it is told. Yet the value in the story will be ( I hope) worthy of the read.

During court king janaka dozed off as he litened to a petitioner’s statement. Upon his sleep he dreamt he was a begger. It was quite vivid ( as the story goes).
    He was aware of all his beggar relatives, their lives, and he knew his own life as a beggar in the same way. It was all absolutely real to him , completely convincing.

Upon his awakening, he looked to his guru ( one story says it was vaśiṣṭha-jī another yājñavalkya-ji) and said, am I a king or am I a begger?
    To this his guru said , you are neither and you are both. He said, you are , and yet you are not what you think yourself to be.
    You are because you behave accordingly; you are not because it does not last.

The wisdom is this - can you be a king or a begger forever? All must change. The guru said, you are what does not change.
    He then asked the king, What are you ? The king responded , yes I am neither king or begger - I am the dispassioned witness of all ( Being).

Who are you ? yajvan; but for how long?

praṇām

words
    • janaka is of a king of videha or mithilā
      • note jana - is defined as a person or a number of persons; Hence the notion of a king that administers a kingdom i.e. a number of persons.
      • Yet there were many janaka's. This most noted janaka as it is thought, is , rāja janak found in the rāmāyaṇa
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

2. Re: king janaka

Who was His Guru? Yajnavalkya ? Ashtavakra ? or any other Sage ?
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Re: king janaka

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    Who was His Guru? Yajnavalkya ? Ashtavakra ? or any other Sage ?

...one story says it was vaśiṣṭha-jī another yājñavalkya-ji.
    It is my undersanding it was vaśiṣṭha-jī .

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

4. Re: king janaka

But how vaśiṣṭha-jī, as he was guru of Dashrath and not Janak
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information