Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ganguli's Mahabharata

Ganguli's Mahabharata

Vannakam,

I am curious, I have been reading the Mahabharata unabridged, and have many thoughts on the translation. Aside from yajvan, I wonder who else has attempted the Ganguli translation and their thoughts on it. I would like to see if anybody could find some analytical aspects I may have missed (such as the story of garuda's birth paralleling the birth of the Pandava's and Kaurava's).

It is a fascinating text and although very long, very rewarding.

If you are attempting the ganguli translation or have read it, if you wouldn't mind telling me how far in you are, that way I can compare notes with those who are at about the same place I am (around the beginning of the battle of kurukshetra, bhishma parva section LV)

Re: Ganguli's Mahabharata

Hi All,
    Eric, I was about to post a query whether this is the comprehensive Mahabharata widely available and luckily you did the job . I tried once reading online but it was too difficult for me..so planning to buy the books.

So my question to all folks here.. is Kisari Mohan Ganguli's translation of Mahabharata is the most comprehensive one available today?

I'm looking for the most comprehensive one with very detailed information..as some of the versions I started reading skipped some of the details. Please suggest me which versions are really good to read.

Thanks in advance,
    realdemigod
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

You are in India right, maybe you can get the six volume edition of the Gita Press of the Mahabharata translated in Hindi. I do not have this one, but all other translations of Gita Press I have in possesion have been superb and you won't have to deal with comments in the margins from the indologists criticising Hinduism.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 02 March 2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: grammar

I'll think about it.. and anyone else here read Gita Press published Mahabharat or Ganguli's Mahabharat .. please pour your experiences
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Vannakam realdemigod,

In fact, the most comprehensive is the P. Lal translation it is written in non-rhyming verse in all recensions of the work. The only problem is that it is extremely expensive (for me it is 110 american dollars for the first volume) and hard to acquire.

Ganguli is the first (and to my knowledge) only complete unabridged translation of the work that is widely available, it is in the public domain as well and is free as an ebook, which is how I acquired it. It is based on the bengali and calcutta versions

The clay sanskrit library is making a 32 volume version based on popular versions of the story, about half of that is out right now.

There is another incomplete commercial edition by J.A.B. Van Buitenen and then there is the academic Poona Edition which is 13,000 pages and is known as the critical edition.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Eric that was helfpul
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

my pleasure realdemigod

Last edited by Sahasranama; 28 March 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks for the resources Sahasranama.

For anyone who is interested in Kisari Mohan Ganguli's Mahabharata, today I saw the collection in four volumes in a book shop in B'lore. I wanted to buy it but the paper quality is really bad and so is the text. Though the price Rs. 1100/- seemed very enticing I refrained from buying it. If anyone wants it let me know I can provide you the address
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Gita Press edition in six volumes is 1350 rupees with Sanskrit/Hindi text. I wish I was in India so I could buy this.

BTW an abridged version can be read online:
    http://www.vedpuran.com/
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 04 April 2011 at 01:32 PM.

Thread Information