Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ahimsa and cows

Question ahimsa and cows

I've always wondered why hindus use dairy products. It is forbidden to hurt a cow but in the milk industry people hurt the cows. So can we say that in order to practise ahimsa we need to be vegans. but would we help the cows if we would beccome vegans? what does sanatan dharma say about hits subject?

Re: ahimsa and cows

Vannakkam henrik: Welcome to these forums. Yes indeed it is rather odd in more ways than just that. We are the only species that drinks the milk of another. I've always pandered that one.

However, I'm a lacto vegetarian, as are many Hindus. Most lacto-Hindus would believe we are not harming the cow as the cow has extra milk to give. But you will get a lot of different opinions. The diet of Hindus varies a lot, and you will get a wide response in answers.

Aum Namasivaya

3. Re: ahimsa and cows

Hinduism is milcaholic like Sri Krishna.
    Cow is called 'Go Mata' (गो माता) or Mother Cow for this.

In West milk industry people hurt the cows, But in Hinduism Cow are never hurted, cow is always treated as mother.
    Hindu rule is Cow's first children (calf) will drink milk first, and after it the rest of the milk belong to other children (World).
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Namaste henrik,

Cows are treated much differently in India than they are in the West. Certainly in India what Param said applies. But in the West they treat the cows horribly on the factory farms. They put them in horrible conditions and take all their milk then when the cows can't produce anymore they are slaughtered.

There are times when I am uneasy and feel bad when drinking milk, knowing that it came to me like this in the west. But I suppose I will make do until I get my own cow one day.

Jai Sri Ram

Pranam all

while it is true the the cows in the west are subjected to abominable treatment, it is too painful to even describe, even though i make a point off only drinking organic milk still their suffering is no less.

does the cow suffer any less in India? i don't think so, perhaps i can excuse the west for they regard everything as commodity to be exploited but us Hindus are supposed to regard her as mother and worship her, so why are they still subject to be slaughtered, why do they roam the street fending for food like scavenger? sorry for the rant but their plight in India is not much better, i have recently returned from India and have some pictures that would shock most if i put it here.
    That is not to say there are no lovers of cow who give their life to care for her

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    sorry for the rant but their plight in India is not much better...
    It could be quite a bit more worse for many reasons. West at least feeds their cows well/fat. In India cows go hungry, scavanging for food, eating plastics and end up in Muslim slaughter houses.

Ofcourse we cannot hurt minority sentiments and cow slaughter and torture cannot be stopped. Who are muslims and christians after all? Weren't they hindus once? What's the point in raking up animosity with our brothers on this issue? Hindutva parties are only doing this for power.

.... so goes the arguments on issues like this.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Vannakkam: I was raised around cattle in the west. The free roaming cattle not in feedlots seem to have a reasonably decent life here, other than their final destination: beef. On the family farm where I grew up we had a few, and I came to like them as gentle creatures. Ours were more gentle than some because my father made it a point to walk amongst them, keep them well fed etc. But it also impacted me personally, as the closeness (like pets) seemed to come to such a harsh and brutal end. I know it contributed to my vegetarianism. If cows are found starving here, animal welfare groups such as the SPCA and humane societies can go in and rescue legally although they seem to ignore feedlots. As far as health goes, veterinarians are trained to spot poor health. They can tell almost immediately if a cow ins undernourished. In India, the conditions of cattle seems to vary widely, at least from what I saw in my very limited travels. So I don't think we can make sweeping generalisations either way. I wonder if anyone knows if there are many veterinarians there? Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    Cow is called 'Go Mata' (गो माता) or Mother Cow for this......In West milk industry people hurt the cows, But in Hinduism Cow are never hurted, cow is always treated as mother. (World).
    Namaste Henri,
    volunteers have built GOSHALAs ( go- cow, Shala-shelter, home) and lodged the old and infirm cows, in a few places. Smuggling across the border to Bangladesh takes place where cow meat is consumed.Cows roam around menacingly in and around mandirs (temples), fearlessly demanding food, often overfed.

You also see another strange scene in Mandirs = monkeys . Hindus have had underscored a strong case for animals and their welfare. It is paap (sin) to hurt some dozens of animals. Shanti.

9. Re: ahimsa and cows

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    -----------
    Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    ---------------

All Hindus are not wealthy, anti Hindus are using caste barrier for this. Muslim Jat, Muslim Rajput, Muslim Maratha, Muslim Gujjar to protect themselves. If anybody stom them, they will call caste members of Hinduism to help them, means less Dharma and more castism. If others still object, they will become target of hatred. Anti Hindus using Hindu names ofthen target Dharm in name of Caste, and even support fake theories like AIT and support their own Adharm

Hindus have to take care of this too.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

For more information on the subject, check this Website:
    http://www.love4cow.com/
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information