Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just remove the 'human' part

Re: Just remove the 'human' part

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

In between 'this' and 'that' (see post 18 above)
    During 'this ' and 'that' there is vikalpa or mental occupation, variety, thinking. Nothing new here, yet here is the idea I wish to offer.
    When there is a cognition of perception occuring of an object or event, there are two components:
    • The object of attention;
    • That of which attention is made of - consciousness or awareness.
    Now what I find interesting is the notion vikalpa. One on hand viklapa is considered thinking, mental occupation. Yet on the other
    hand vikalpa is defined as an intermediate kalpa¹ , the interval between two kalpa-s. That is, between a measurement of time.

Here is the point to consider. As the mind alights from one object and then begins to pursue another yet does not yet land on the other object
    ( or thought, or idea) there is this vikalpa period in between. Here there is no mind only awareness itself. Hence one can arrive at nirvikalpa.
    And what is that ? Nirvikalpa निर्विकल्प = not wavering , free from change or differences , not admitting an alternative. The mind is no more
    for that slight period. It is a thought-free state of knowing.

It's said in the īśvara pratyabhijañā kārakā-s That awareness is present even in an instant of perception. When the name and form are
    taken out from the experience what shines through is that of pure awareness (some like to call pure consciousness) or prakāśa (light, splendor).

So, why does this interest me? It is though stabilizing nirvikalpa that one becomes stable in the Self. In this slight vikalpa period, there
    for a short time, tells me it can be there for a long time. It is this notion that many techniques (upāya-s) are built upon. To extend this period
    of nirvikalpa so one can see it is not foreign to the experiencer, that is is part of our basic constitution is the intent.

praṇām

words

kalpa = a period of time ; a day of brahmā or one thousand yugas; a month of brahmā is supposed to contain thirty kalpas.
    According to the mahābhārata twelve months of brahmā constitute his year , and one hundred such years his lifetime ;
    fifty years of brahmā's are supposed to have elapsed and we reside in the śvetavārāha-kalpa of the fifty-first year.
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 March 2011 at 05:36 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Just remove the 'human' part

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Continuity between 'this' and 'that'
    That is, between a measurement of time. Here is the point to consider. As the mind alights from one object and then begins to pursue another yet does not yet land on the other object ( or thought, or idea) there is this vikalpa period in between. Here there is no mind only awareness itself. Hence one can arrive at nirvikalpa.
    And what is that ? Nirvikalpa निर्विकल्प = not wavering , free from change or differences , not admitting an alternative The mind is no more for that slight period. It is a thought-free state of knowing.
    Now for me this is quite interesting. This awareness provides continuity of being, of perception for us. What do I mean - continuity ?
    Let me explain by an example.

Say we're viewing a movie . The 'frames' that pass by the light go by one at a time. But since it is done in a smooth succession, we do not see the transition from one frame to another. In between frame 5 and 6 ( and any other frame) there is no picture, just the frame or border of the picture, but the light from the projector continues to shine for that moment. This light is prakāśa (light, splendor) or consciousness that continues. It continues all the time, wake, dream, sleep. It is the fundamental part of one's being, of life, some say awareness itself.

So think if each frame did not have this continuity behind it. Each frame as it passed by would be interrupted, choppy. Like the old movies from the
    1920's - flickering on the screen. Think of it. For each time a perception occurred ( going say looking at a tree,
    then looking at an auto) there was no continuity. One would see a tree , then the nervous system would halt perceiving from the eyes and then start again once the auto was in view.
    Or listening. One listens to music, the music ends, and the next shound does not occur until it arrives at the ears
    ( say the sound of an airplane overhead) What a choppy life we would have , no?

It is this prakāśa that affords us the smooth-ness of perception. Yet if we are acutely silent & aware of this 'gap' one can come to appreciate
    this prakāśa found in-between of 'this' and 'that' .

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 March 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information