Thread: Greeting from SL

Smile Greeting from SL

Hello everyone, I just found this site on a quest for answers on Maha Shivaratri--and ended up reading some of the other posts here, so I decided to join and hopefully learn more that what I originally planned when I found this site.

James is what everyone calls me, so I thought I'd stick to that. I'm native Sri Lankan and an eclectic Pagan(not the devil-worshiping kind Christians depict us as) Buddhist, who respects and bows down before all deities; the Hindu deities being the most I'm attracted to.

I've read some posts where some members have complained of their posts having to be checked by a mod first, but I understand the reasoning. As Believer has said:
    "Becoming a member of a new forum is like entering a room full of people you don't know. First you introduce yourself, find a seat, enjoy a cool beverage, settle down and then start a dialog."

If I'd found this site earlier, believe me I'd have held back, but I came here for some answers on traditions on Maha Shivaratri-- which I'd completely forgotten was so close (I know, stupid)-- and so yeah, I'll just post my questions on the Shaiva forum. I know I'm going to sound really annoying here to the moderator, but I would really appreciate it if you could allow my posts to be seen and answered to by other members before 2rd of March, I know, pushing it, but I'd be very grateful, and I'd understand if that wasn't possible.

Sorry for the hasty intro,
    James

Re: Greeting from SL

Vannakkam James.

Welcome to these forums. Please ask the questions you have and perhaps members can answer. Expect a variety.

Are you in Sri Lanka, or are you an expat?

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks Eastern Mind. I've submitted my questions already and I went over and noticed it's a rly huge post

To answer your question, I'm a native, born and bred Sri Lankan.
    Last edited by James; 03 March 2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Missed Eastern Mind's question

Namaste James,

Welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see a new face around here. A pagan Buddhist - I'd love to learn more about your background! I had thought that most Sri Lankan Buddhists are of the Theravadan school of philosophy, which does not normally encompass worship or recognition of any devas or celestial beings?

As Shivaratri is fast approaching, and you are only just joined to HDF, I'd advise posting your questions and whatever else you need to say here in this post. I'm not sure Satay or any other mod will adjust the 10 post rule, so just go ahead and fire away with the questions here.

Hope you enjoy your stay here,

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

@sunyata07

Thanks for the welcome, sunyata07. Shivaratri ended the day before yesterday and I'd already found answers by then, phew.

I wasn't born Pagan, just really attracted to different Paths and beliefs ever since I could remember, and while studying adopted what seemed 'right', for me (even though a normal person would call me crazy, lol), and so, 'eclectic'.

As for your question, yes, many people here don't really believe in the Gods or worship them daily, only when they're really desperate they perform a puja-but remain quiet about if afterwards. I believe in all the Lord Buddha's teachings first and foremost but I guess I wouldn't call myself Theravadan, only Buddhist--but I'm not really a perfect example of one, heh. I occasionally lie, hate, etc.

HDF is so filled with information, and I'm enjoying myself reading already, thank you

Namaste James,

Welcome to HDF. Hopefully you will continue to learn a lot here.

Jai Sri Ram

7. Re: Greeting from SL

Welcome James

[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information