Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maha Shiva Raarti

Re: Maha Shiva Raarti

All brothers,
    Please accept my best wishes for MAHASHIVRATRI dedicated to the Lord of all cosmic manifestation Lord Shiva!!
    Hara Hara Hara Mahadev!!

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA!!

Har har MAhaDeV!!
    SarveSha cAdhiKAro vidYAYA ca shreyah:
    kevalaYA vidYAYA veti siddhah.

It has been established that everyone has the right to the knowledge of Brahman and the Supreme Goal is attained by that Knowledge alone.
    Adi Shankara in Taittiriya Upanishad, Bhasya 2.2.

Honestly and seriously, I don't even know what this day is all about (other than its a day to love the lord and learn about him, real devotees do that daily), even though, I'm a devotee of Shiva.

Can any1 guide me in this matter please?

I'm a devotee of Shiva, but still, never have I fasted and always overslept on this day (I'm a bit embarrassed to say this though) .

Oh well, all I know is to recite AUM NAMAH SHIVAYA in my heart, the least that I can do.
    Last edited by upsydownyupsy mv ss; 02 March 2011 at 01:56 AM.
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Quote Originally Posted by upsydownyupsy mv ss View Post
    Honestly and seriously, I don't even know what this day is all about (other than its a day to love the lord and learn about him, real devotees do that daily), even though, I'm a devotee of Shiva.

Can any1 guide me in this matter please?

I'm a devotee of Shiva, but still, never have I fasted and always overslept on this day (I'm a bit embarrassed to say this though) .

Oh well, all I know is to recite AUM NAMAH SHIVAYA in my heart, the least that I can do.
    dat alone will do everything for you.. be at it with whole hearted surrender : "Oh thou of infinite golden body, let Thy will happen" !!

HAR HAR MAHAADEV !! JAI EK LING !!

JAI KAALI MAA !!!
    " In the fifty letters reside the Vedas,
    In the fifty letters reside the Aagamaas,
    When one comprehends all the fifty,
    What remains are the letters Holy Five !! "

- Tiru Mantram 965,

by Tiru Moolar

I am a little disappointed with my fellow worshippers tonight as I sit the vigil for Lord Shiva. There is only one other devotee here with me, a young man from Punjab who is very sincere in his worship.

I feel a bit like a fraud to be honest. I don't know the prayers and I have no idea what I should be doing but I made the commitant, both to myself and to Lord Shiva and Ma Parvati, that I would spend the night at the temple. If it's not spent entirely in sincere worship, at least I have tried, right? I'm surely doing better than the temple priests! They've gone to bed!

We who do not have a temple will stay with you. Shivaratri do not begin for me till Thursday according to calendar. So I can be here to keep you company<3

Here is my favorite-

~
    Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra

Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
    Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
    Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
    Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat

~We Meditate on the Three-eyed reality
    Which permeates and nourishes all like a fragrance.
    May we be liberated from death for the sake of immortality,
    Even as the cucumber is severed from bondage to the creeper.

My favorite version is by Shankar Sahney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0POEKc5WB0

Hari Om Namah Shivaya!<3

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    I am a little disappointed with my fellow worshippers tonight as I sit the vigil for Lord Shiva. There is only one other devotee here with me, a young man from Punjab who is very sincere in his worship.

I feel a bit like a fraud to be honest. I don't know the prayers and I have no idea what I should be doing but I made the commitant, both to myself and to Lord Shiva and Ma Parvati, that I would spend the night at the temple. If it's not spent entirely in sincere worship, at least I have tried, right? I'm surely doing better than the temple priests! They've gone to bed!
    Vannakkam: That happens here too. You are no fraud! Its a wonderful opportunity to embrace your will. But now I am wondering..did you take your laptop, or you have a phone there to post with.

Aum Namasivaya

I have a phone here with me, EMji and I only hope the battery can hold out until morning! Perhaps I will stay to see Ma Durga woken up? (She has gone to sleep, apparently.)

Shiva, on the other hand, never sleeps and the yoni is Ma Parvati so she does not sleep either. I pray that they are watching over us tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    I am a little disappointed with my fellow worshippers tonight as I sit the vigil for Lord Shiva. There is only one other devotee here with me, a young man from Punjab who is very sincere in his worship. They've gone to bed!
    Namaste DK,
    millions are keeping a shiva rathri vigil and are fasting and keeping awake allnight in many lands.I just called India.You can explore some 24x7 radio channels for bhajans/kirtans, i think the one below probaly works.
    http://wisdomspeak.org/bhajan/

Please also go to raaga.com and look for devotional box on the left side of screen, some tunes are very inspirational. For visuals you can browse some online free indian TV channels; one can witness the colorful shivarathri celebration clips periodically beamed on new only channels. Like TV9 etc. Shanti.

10. Re: Maha Shiva Raarti

Upvas, is a great tool of Bhakti on specific days, but is it right to tell others that I am fasting ?
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information