Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name change conflict

Name change conflict

I am feeling very conflicted within myself. On the one hand I understand that assuming a Hindu name and going through the namakrana ceremony will cement, for both me and others, my commitment to Hinduism as a religion, lifestyle and philosophy but on the other hand I have to admit that I really, really like my given name and respect it as a gift given to me by my mother at birth. She gave me this name, who am I to change it, regardless of religious leanings?

I honestly do not know what to do.

Re: Name change conflict

Vannakkam Divine Kala:

Please don't change your name unless you are absolutely convinced it would be beneficial. There are many many western people who follow Sanatana Dharma without taking that step. Just a guess here, but I would say the ratio is about 200 to 1 in favor of adopting SD without changing your name ... perhaps even higher.

Aum Namasivaya

My opinion is that a person should only go through ceremonies and rites after they already feel it internally, not the other way around.

When you take a step you're not really prepared to take, it will end up hurting you more when you need to take two steps back to make up for the mistake.

The same thing applies to vows, I was talking to a friend that decided to be vegan, but didn't manage to sustain it and end up eating a nice creamy cheese pizza. I told her: Wouldn't it be better to take less extreme vows and others throughout the years and avoid breaking the potency of a mantained vow? In my opinion, it is better because the mind really gets humbled when you confront her with the fact that you are capable of a sadhana.

On the other hand I think changing names is much needed rite of passage in due time. Not really common in western society, but needed anyway.
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 04 March 2011 at 06:54 PM.

4. Re: Name change conflict

Changing Name is not necessary, just pronounce it in Sanskrit or any hindu way
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Namaste Divine Kala,

I am in agreement with the others on this. Why all the rush to change one's name? There is really no sense and no benefit in deciding to change your name legally unless you are certain beyond all doubt that it feels right. I have considered it once in the past early on in my sadhana, but I feel that my circumstances are such that I am still tied up here and that it would possibly be more of a hindrance than a step forward in my spiritual progress for the time being. I haven't ruled it out, and I'm not saying you should either - I'm just thinking I might leave the official name changing later on when I've "settled" down some more. Maybe you might consider the same? Otherwise, the respect you have for the name your mother chose for you at birth is something I would not challenge. I think that type of feeling is there for a reason, and in my personal opinion, it's best to leave that kind of thing alone out of reverence for one's parents. Unless you are planning to become a proper renunciate anytime in the near future, name change is not absoluately necessary!

Someone else has mentioned such a topic before. I can't quite remember who brought it up about half a year ago, but the poster asked something similar about changing his name legally to a Hindu one. He intimated that he was not quite happy with doing it officially just yet, but was it all right if he/she could adopt a name informally and come to be known by that in the spiritual community (either here on HDF or in the local temple, satsang, etc.). He chose one himself and presented it here to the forum and everyone gave their approval, so maybe you could do the same or something to that effect?

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste. No need for name change. Only those who elect to live in a hindu monastery ought to take that extreme step.Shanti.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Namaste. No need for name change. Only those who elect to live in a hindu monastery ought to take that extreme step.Shanti.
    Vannakkam: Guess I'm an extremist then.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Guess I'm an extremist then.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EMji, a dull afternoon herein midwest, clouds and sun have been playing hide n seek game alll day. But then no rain or snow

In case of divine kalaji, yes it is indeed an extreme measure, i think! The point is, things that are so dear to one dont need to be tossed away if they dont seriously impede ones path to self inquiry. He feels it is his dharma to keep what his mom gave hime, we would love to keep our mom and dad happy, even if it means paying a price. Arjuna tells Kunti, ''mom I won a fruit in a contest''. A typical mom, Kunti, not realizing the prize he was alluding to replies, '' share it with your 4 brothers''. He considers it an order, bam, Princess Draupadi marries all 5 Pandavas. Another extreme example. .Mythology is ineresting.

I cannot apply that logic to all scenarios and agree with you that 'extreme' may not be the right choice of word for all. You are not an extremist but an extremely devout hindu compared to a light weight like myself. Shanti.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

A name is nāma or more accurately nāman meaning personal name as different from gotre or family name . Some see this written as gotra, defined as 'family enclosed by the hurdle'; a tribe , or subdivision .

What is important ( IMHO) is the sound quality of the name. There are certain rules to insure the sound quality is life supporting and uplifting.
    Some use the akṭaḥ¹ cakra (chakra) method. It is all about suitability to the person, hence jyotish gets involved.

I happened to name my daughter sāraḥ (sarah) . This word's sound quality has significance and works well in the East or West.

sāraḥ - is essence; the substance or essence or marrow or cream or heart or essential part of anything . If one spells it sarāḥ -
    now we have flowing water, a water fall; this core word is at the heart of sārasvatī meaning valuable , precious , nourishing, substantial.
    If we spell it like this sarasvatī we still have the connection to flowing rivers and the devatā of eloquence and learning. She ( sarasvatī )
    is intimately connected in the brāhmaṇas and is identified with vāc , speech.

So, if you are comfortable with your name, it seems simple to stay with it if it is serving you well.

praṇām

words
    akṭaḥ - is named based upon the letters found in the 1st block ah-ka-tha-ha which is part of devanāgarī script (saṃskṛt).
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 March 2011 at 01:02 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    You are not an extremist but an extremely devout hindu compared to a light weight like myself. Shanti.
    Vannakkam: This reminds me of an opportunity I had a long time ago to hear Canada's national swim coach speak. He was speaking to a bunch of parents whose children had just joined a swim club. He said, "Once their ego gets in the way, we just move them up a level, and then they see what real swimmers can do. If they ever make it to the international level, they understand by then how the ego impacted them." I thought his words were wise.

So in the religious fields, trust me, I am no bhaktar. Go to India and see an old woman walk five miles a day every day uphill with a home made garland to worship the Lord. I am no scholar as I have never read the Vedas or Gita, am unfamiliar with Puranas, and know no Sanskrit. Certainly I am no mystic as I can't sit still beyond a few minutes before becoming externalised. I am just some bloke struggling to stand up while walking through dense underbrush. I am like the beginning swimmer, perhaps even before diving into the pool to begin.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information