Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: japa

Re: japa

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

smaranam writes,
    Ich verstehe "ich" If that is the sound, then that is fine, and a subtle difference between the devnAgari letters
    We agree on this matter - as mentioned the subtle difference in sound and in tongue position that makes this discussion point worthy of the words written.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    where do people get the idea that this is the right way or the wrong way... does it really matter ?
    potato or paa-tah-to ?

For me it is not the notion of right way or wrong way. It is the influence of the word. Our words are an expression of a vibration; it is the vibration that is created that is of interest to me. The proper pronunciation creates the right affect. Sounding out the saṃhitā-s properly takes the proper skills and training. Much time is given to udgītha¹. The results come when the chants are right.

So what am I saying? Word/vibration/vak is pregnant with influence - when well-articulated we maximize the benefit. It is udgā. That is ud+gā = to rise, bring up + sing. It is with the proper articulation that one rises up ( uplifted). Improper articulation minimizes the benefit.

So what does this have to do with this total string? If we go back to the conversation it is the proper articulation of the mantra nama śivaya.

Act as you see fit...

praām

words

udgītha - chanting of the sāma-veda; it is also defined as आूं
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    It is with the proper articulation that one rises up ( uplifted). Improper articulation minimizes the benefit.
    Vannakkam: I quite imagine we are going in circles. The term 'proper' varies. It is like 2 children describing the playground scrap. Both say 'He started it." In this discussion, both sides say, "Ahhh.. But this is the proper way."

So in the end it is up to the individual to decide. For those who heard it from the right lips at the right time (mantra diksha) then that IS the proper way.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 16 October 2011 at 09:23 PM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM

Vannakkam: I quite imagine we are going in circles. The term 'proper' varies. It is like 2 children describing the playground scrap. Both say 'He started it." In this discussion, both sides say, "Ahhh.. But this is the proper way."

So in the end it is up to the individual to decide. For those who heard it from the right lips at the right time (mantra diksha) then that IS the proper way. Aum Namasivaya
    I see what you say... IMHO ~proper~ is the right sound, at the right time, and within the right surrounding. That said, I am resolute on the sounding.
    sa - is dantya or dental
    ṣa - is mūrdhanya or cerebral
    śa - is tālavya or palatal
    To try and type the sound , this has been the the area of difficulty. If others believe the sound is one way vs. another, I am fine with their knowledge. My intent is to make the knowledge available - then one can choose as they see fit and/or pursue it further.

re: dīkṣā - yes, your point is well taken. This is why the vibration is so important to get right. It is the sound that awakens, lifts up; it is udgā. - to rise, bring up + sing. 'Ga' is to sing but is also the name of gaṇeśa. It is He that clears the path. When dīkṣā is done correctly ( right time, right place, right sound) , that path is cleared to lift one up.

praām

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

So in the end it is up to the individual to decide. For those who heard it from the right lips at the right time (mantra diksha) then that IS the proper way.

Aum Namasivaya
    As Yajvan said, it is not about how one writes, but there cannot be multiple version of the same sound. While south indians often write as Siva as tamizh doesn't have all the consonants, they (those who use mantras) don't pronounce it as the sss siva. I have listened to audio of both sivaya subramuniya swami and bodhinatha - they always pronounce it as shiva but always write as siva. So what one listens is what is important - but must listen from the correct source.

We do japa because we believe sound as the source of creation and not a description of something already existing. The child-scrapyard allegory doesnt quite apply here.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Thread Information