Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krsna's Death

Krsna's Death

How did Krsna die?

Re: Krsna's Death

Namaste Kala,

Sri Krishna died as any ordinary wild animal for honouring the curse given to him by his own devotee !

When Duryodhana was killed He was cursed by angry Gaandhaari (the mother of Kauravas) that He would die like an animal as it was He who caused the destruction of all her mighty sons (& as He was heartless like a wild animal He would die like one). So, once He was taking rest in a forest taking a nap under a tree. He had put his feet one above the other lying on His back. The rose-pink soles of the Lord's feet shined from a distance and appeared to be beautiful faces of deers to a bunch of hunters passing through the area. So, these hunters aimed at those feet and struck Him with their arrows .... and that "killed" (the body of) Krishna !

The great incarnation of God kept the honour of His devotee and chose to die the death of an ordinary wild animal in a forest !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

I asked my neighbour, Girish, about it and he said pretty much the same thing. He added that Gaandhaari cursed Krsna to suffer as he had made her suffer by losing all her sons.

Why hunting mistakes tie up so many events in the Mahabharata?

And why so many hunters in those times? Isn't it adharmic?

Hunting is not as adharmic as letting poor animals die in abbatoirs. The greatest sin in animal care is pretenting to love an animal, feed it, give it shelter and later cut their throats, because this way you are murdering someone who is your sharanagata. Hunting is more natural and dharmic than the bio industry.

Pranam all

Those who think Krishna takes birth and dies like the ordinary soul do not understand his transcendental nature. It is another thing that he chooses to Leave this MrityouLok like ordinary person.

janma karma ca me divyam
    evam yo vetti tattvatah
    tyaktva deham punar janma
    naiti mam eti so 'rjuna

One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna. BG4.9

It i Ironic what he says one who understand his nature does not take birth again, shame here we can talk about his apparent disappearance so casually.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

It i Ironic what he says one who understand his nature does not take birth again, shame here we can talk about his apparent disappearance so casually.

I agree with you that Krishna doesn't die as an ordinairy person, as is written in the bhagavatam, krishna svadhamo'pagate, Krishna went to his own abode. We can say his activities are divine, but understanding them is something different altogether. Even Arjuna affected by yogamaya proclaimed "he Krishna, he Yadava, he sakheti." Nowadays every baba, paramahamsa or sri sri dot dot ananda is an avatar and if you do your best and work hard, even you can become an avatar. It's really a shame people are so casual about the avatarhood of Rama and Krishna.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Hunting is not as adharmic as letting poor animals die in abbatoirs. The greatest sin in animal care is pretenting to love an animal, feed it, give it shelter and later cut their throats, because this way you are murdering someone who is your sharanagata. Hunting is more natural and dharmic than the bio industry.
    Could you (or someone else) expand on this?

I'm not really fully convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Could you (or someone else) expand on this?

I'm not really fully convinced.
    Vannakkam Pietro: This is off topic from the original question, but from my limited POV, its all adharmic. As a youth I shot 1 deer, many gophers (kind of ground squirrel considered to be a pest) , quite a few rabbits, many ducks, as well as a lot of fish. Hunting was part of my family's 'culture', although now I wouldn't call it culture. It goes against ahimsa, which for me personally is an absolute core value. Certainly it is no longer any part of my culture. In fact I have had to atone via penance in order to forgive myself.

Still, I am far more sympathetic to the aboriginal American who used wildlife as a method for survival, and used it wisely, never letting an animal's corpse go to waste and never hunting just for the fun of it. Blending into the environment in such a way is more or less nature, like a wolf or large wildcat killing for survival.

As for analysing scripture, I more or less take the view that your life starts from today, and if it is useful to alter or make dharmic decisions from this moment on, then good. Otherwise trying to determine all the whys and wherefores is just trivia. But that's just my take.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you, EM.

I tried to shoot a lead pellet gun at a dog (hopefully I missed) when I was 11, then hours after an incident happened where I got shot in the arm, the pellet stopped near an artery. Missing or not I took it as instant karmic retribution.

Thread Information