Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would there be sufficient vegetarian food for all the human race?

Hybrid View

Would there be sufficient vegetarian food for all the human race?

If all in the world become vegetarians would there be sufficient food available on the earth?

Re: Would there be sufficient vegetarian food for all the human race?

Vannakkam jabalimuni:

Wecome to HDF. Absolutely! The American midwest is just one example. There the common crop is corn for feedlots. Besides that, there is a ton of pastureland for grazing in places like Brazil that could be adopted to dryland crops for human food. A conservative estimate would say it would double the food on the planet. Conversion of sunlight and water into protein via meat is a totally inefficient method. Soy and lentils are far more efficient. Of course the meat industry has huge lobbyists all over.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 09 March 2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: sp

one of the major reason for cost rise of food grains is because tremendous amounts are used to feed the livestock cattle etc. see the documentry 'HOME' to know how we are spoiling our planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

Prabhupada used to say that if for only one day no cows were slaughtered the human race would see astounding progresses quickly.

I can't even imagine the astral and karmic negative influences the slaughter of millions of innocent animals generate everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalimuni View Post
    If all in the world become vegetarians would there be sufficient food available on the earth?
    Yes - and we would stop the odd (?) million ton of methane being produced every day from cattle.

As has been point out, most of the crop production gets emptied into feedlots to produce 'marbled' meat for Westerners who think that expense equals quality.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

Namaste,

Life on Earth as we know it could not exist were it not for vegetation. Plants are the only life-form able to harness energy from the life-giving sun. Generously do they pass this energy onto beings that feed on them, fertilising the ground and regenerating their life cycle. Animals, on the other hand, cannot produce their own energy. Primary consumers (herbivores) also give energy to beings that consume them, but only a fraction of this energy is passed along as it comes through a secondary source.

Rather, your question should be: is there sufficient meat for all the human race? And with our ever-growing population, I think we all know what the answer to that is.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam: We're not as bad off as some people suggest. This from wikipedia:

Main articles: Malnutrition and Hunger
    According to estimates by the FAO there were 925 million under- or malnourished people in the world in 2010.[6] This was a decrease from an estimate of 1023 million malnourished people in 2009.[7] In 2007, 923 million people were reported as being undernourished, an increase of 80 million since 1990-92.[8] It has also been recorded that the world already produces enough food to support the world's population.
    As the definitions of starving and malnourished people are different, the number of starving people is different from that of malnourished. Generally, much fewer people are starving, than are malnourished. The numbers here may provide some indication, but should not be quoted as a number of starving people.
    The share of malnourished and of starving people in the world has been more or less continually decreasing for at least several centuries.[9] This is due to an increasing supply of food and to overall gains in economic efficiency. In 40 years, the share of malnourished people in the developing world has been more than halved. The share of starving people has decreased even faster. This improvement is expected to continue in the future.

Certainly much malnutrition has more to do with distribution of wealth (and as a result, food) than overpopulation on the planet.

Changing diets and going away from meat could probably allow for a tripling of the world's population, it is just that inefficient.

Aum Namasivaya

As has been said, absolutely. We would cope far better, I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post
    Yes - and we would stop the odd (?) million ton of methane being produced every day from cattle.
    That's very true. I'm concerned about how some people think they are doing good by eating meat because of the whole methane thing. Someone told me a few months back, "but we need to eat the cows, because they are causing global warming. If we don't eat them, we'll be overrun with them."

I didn't know whether to laugh or facepalm. Still don't. I am however concerned about how many might hold such a silly idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Odion View Post
    As has been said, absolutely. We would cope far better, I'd imagine.

That's very true. I'm concerned about how some people think they are doing good by eating meat because of the whole methane thing. Someone told me a few months back, "but we need to eat the cows, because they are causing global warming. If we don't eat them, we'll be overrun with them."

I didn't know whether to laugh or facepalm. Still don't. I am however concerned about how many might hold such a silly idea.
    Vannakkam Odion: About as silly as "You need meat to live." Shall we start a thread titled, 'Silly things Meat eaters say.'

Oh yeah, here's one I heard the other day.. "Global warming is caused by Daylight Savings Time. That extra hour of sunlight just helps warm the planet. if we went back to the old way, the earth's temperaure would go back down."

Aum Namasivaya

Lol! That's.. that's.. well, silly. What did you say to that?

I made a thread for it, let's have some fun.
    Silly things meat eaters say

Thread Information