Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Silly things meat eaters say

Re: Silly things meat eaters say

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post

I didn't know there was an objective measure for adorability. Frankly, I'd like to see how many people would willingly slaughter a cow if they had raised it with their own hands from its birth. I get the feeling not many would.

Om namah Shivaya
    Adorability does play a role for many people. Almost no one would eat cat or dog meat, many don't eat horse meat either and others don't eat lambs, deers or rabbits. I once made a comment about cuteness of the animal to someone who ate a lot of lamb meat and he said "Just because I can hug this animal, does it mean I shouldn't eat it, are chickens any less cute?" The funny thing is that this person was a dog lover, he would never eat puppies. He had already drawn a line of cuteness between animals in his mind, but he didn't like to admit it.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 26 March 2011 at 08:28 AM.

Namaste,

One of my close friends is a dog lover and he's also a meat-eater. One time I showed him this article about certain groups of Asian people who eat dog, and he was repulsed by it. I pointed out the hypocrisy in seeing no problem with eating cows, chickens, and pigs, but being repulsed by the eating of dogs. He responded that dogs are far more "noble" and smarter than any of those animals. He thinks dogs are the "noblest" of all animals besides humans. I pointed out to him how pigs are actually very intelligent creatures, which they are, but he didn't care at all.

Jai Sri Ram

Dogs eat feces and smell like ****. They are so bloody noble!

Namaste,

One of my close friends is a dog lover and he's also a meat-eater. One time I showed him this article about certain groups of Asian people who eat dog, and he was repulsed by it. I pointed out the hypocrisy in seeing no problem with eating cows, chickens, and pigs, but being repulsed by the eating of dogs. He responded that dogs are far more "noble" and smarter than any of those animals. He thinks dogs are the "noblest" of all animals besides humans. I pointed out to him how pigs are actually very intelligent creatures, which they are, but he didn't care at all.

Jai Sri Ram

I think that's a prime example of cultural conditioning. Putting my dog lover's feelings aside, I can see why a lot of people in the west would be repulsed by eating dogs. That would be the Chinese who eat dogs, by the way, but as I mentioned once before they seem to eat meat indiscriminately. Perhaps for reasons of having to hunt and scavenge way back thousands of years ago, canines became the primary domestic companion of man - at least in the west. This has become one of many cultural "stamps", if you like, that is hard to get out of most people's psyche. Unfortunately for cows, pigs and sheep they have become the bulk supply of the meat-eating world, intelligent or not. Even the dolphin, one of the smartest and most sociable animals in the world, are not safe from the harpoons of man.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

I badmouthed dogs and dreamed of wolves that brought black dogs to bite me. I had to keep them away with an iron whip.

I'm sorry dogs, you're a very interesting body form for a jiva and an essential step in jiva transmigration! Please don't bite me!

I saw a video of Zakir naik somewhere refuting the non vegetarians. Probably the silliest thing I've ever heard from a meat eater

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam all

Correct me if i am wrong, doesn't the Christians say animals have no soul to circumvent the commandment thou shell not kill.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Yes and no. Christianity does not believe animals have a soul. I never accepted that, even when I was a Christian. But there is a command from God in Genesis for man to dominate the Earth, including using animals for food. "Thou shalt not kill" refers only to murdering another human. And even then, it must be pre-meditated to violate the commandment.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste all,

I once read somewhere on the internet something like: "India wouldn't have a hunger problem if they just ate all the cows there instead of letting them roam the streets and live peacefully."Jai Sri Ram
    The reverse is actually true. If all of humanity became carnivorous, there would be more hunger. It easier to grow plants (though grain is overrated) than it is to raise animals.

In fact, beef is not common in China because beef cattle require too much resource. And this comes from someone who followed a caveman diet for the longest time... almost strictly carnivorous.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

If someone were to say to you that: "Vegetarianism is ego based pride!"

How could you explain that it isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    If someone were to say to you that: "Vegetarianism is ego based pride!"

How could you explain that it isn't?
    Vannakkam Onkara: That one's never come up for me. Is it just a hypothetical, or did someone actually say that to you?

Certainly there are vegetarians that are arrogant and proud about it. In my personal experience, its less likely if they're Hindu. In fact, I actually don't know about (whether or not they're vegetarian) many of my Hindu friends because they DON'T yap about it. But to claim a whole movement is that way is kind of silly.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information