Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hindu world view vs Judaeo-Christian world view

Re: Hindu world view vs Judaeo-Christian world view

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    It is a very common occurance when talking with westerners. They are often ready to expose Islam, but suddenly get defensive when you talk about Judaism or Christianity
    But I once again fail to see the point in making a liberal westerner swear against christianity. What does it serve? How does it help Hindus? It seems we want this to be an ant-christian forum instead of a hindu formum and someone who doesn't swear by hatred for christianity don't become a hindu, and on the same note, any person of Indian racial origin who spends 90% of his internet footprint spewing hatred against christianity and/or Islam automatically becomes a 1st class hindu. Is this going to help us or destroy us?

A liberal westerner who has interest or even follows portions of hinduism in his own customized fashion but hasn't disowned the religion of his/her birth a.k.a christianity (quite natural), can only be beneficial to the world, since it removes (at least for the time being) another intolerant bigoted soul. But the moment such a person enters this forum some people start spewing racial hatred, perhaves to prove to themselves how big a hindu they are without devoiting a minute to practice or study, forcing the person to leave with a bitter taste. This has happened so many times now. This is perhaves one of the very few or only non-sectarian hindu forum on the web. Perhaves the only source for some people to connect to other hindus, like this elderly gentleman from Australia. The moment he shows a certain weakness for Xianity, we have these loud mouthed indian racists (who are not hindu by any means except in their own imagination and self justification of their birth status) come and start bashing. It might make a good start to their day somewhere in a western world where they naturally don't belong and don't fit - but it ruins another possibility for Hinduism.

Good job you guys.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

I think I answered politely the questions he raised. But he never came back.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    But I once again fail to see the point in making a liberal westerner swear against christianity. What does it serve? How does it help Hindus? It seems we want this to be an ant-christian forum instead of a hindu formum and someone who doesn't swear by hatred for christianity don't become a hindu, and on the same note, any person of Indian racial origin who spends 90% of his internet footprint spewing hatred against christianity and/or Islam automatically becomes a 1st class hindu. Is this going to help us or destroy us?
    Wow, i could be forgiven to think this words were written by my friend Atanu ji.

You are right lately this forum has concentrated mainly on Christan's or Islam bashing, it is a shame perhaps some weakness on our part.
    To spew hatred is not conducive for spiritual growth, it certainly will destroy us

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

There's nothing wrong with anyone being non-Hindu and having an interest in Hinduism. I too have argued against others on this forum about Christianity and have probably driven them away because I have taken a strong stance, but I have always tried to keep the discussions ideological and not based on race. Perhaps I have gone too far with this as well in the past, but I cannot keep quiet when people position that according Hinduism Jesus was an avatar/yogi or that the Bible is just as good as the vedas. If they admit they are new age spiritualists instead of Hindus I have no problem with them. I do not blame the westerners for these ideas, they didn't come up with such thoughts by themselves. It's the fault of people like Yukteshvara, Yogananda, Rama Mohan Roy, Vivekananda, Bhaktivinod Thakur, Sai Baba and Satchidananda that people have these convoluted ideas.

There's a fine line between racism and comparing the Abrahamic religions with each other and calling them bad. I do think that TTA is often crossing the line and making racist comments, like he did in this thread saying that all non-Hindus are mlecchas and should be kept away. I do not endorse this view. I have said something about this before to TTA, but the posts have already been removed. I have started to ignore those parts of his posts. I do think TTA is a well meaning guy, he often makes interesting points and I am glad he is a member of this forum, but he also makes me cringe with certain comments. But I don't mind it when the other person is an obvious troll and he is being funny. There's also a general form of hypocracy on the forum when people criticise the westernisation of Hinduism without looking in the mirror or at the Indian born Baba's who are like wolves in sheep clothes.

When we compare west versus east it's not so black and white as comparing the dharmic traditions of Bharata and the rest of Asia to the desert religions a.k.a Abrahamic religions. The west has its own spiritual and philosophical background in the classical culture of ancient Greek and Rome, the Egyptians and the european pagan religions as well in scientific thought and development. These have had their impact as well on Christian and western thought, besides the horrible things we find in the Bible and Koran wich have caused tremendous terror both in the east and west. I don't think it's fair to say east is good, west is bad. It's true that the reverse has often been propagated and we have a right to assert ourselves against that, but we should not make sweeping generalisations about east and west or Hindu and non-Hindu. These are all things we can discuss endlessly on the forum, but in my opinion racism should not be tolerated against western practicioners of Hinduism.

I hope I didn't offend any member with my post. I honestly hope no one will leave this forum, enough people have already left this forum. But the ones who are staying, including myself, should make sure not to piss of the western Hindus. We should respect them as they had to make great changes in their life in order to become a practicing Hindu and are often more dedicated Hindus than the average Indian.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 15 March 2011 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

You are right lately this forum has concentrated mainly on Christan's or Islam bashing, it is a shame perhaps some weakness on our part.
    To spew hatred is not conducive for spiritual growth, it certainly will destroy us
    Now does that mean I forget what they had done in the past, the unimaginable damage to our dharma and the country? Off course not especially so when they have still the same design, forgiving them is one thing we should never forget.

However should we harp on about it for ever? Yes if we can maintain Hindu sbhayata and vivek it could prove a valuable source of defence.

Only person I know who has classed Jesus as an avatar is Srila Prabhupad so I don’t know this remark was addressed to. Atanu ji certainly defended his Guru and with Shastra pramana it’s a shame he chose to leave.
    Who are we to decide who is a Hindu based on our little understanding off veda, I certainly don’t think Bible is just as good as Vedas but why do I fret if someone finds words of wisdom in it compared to Vedas? How can we divide ourselves because rightly or wrongly our Gurus have found necessary to play the western audience .

Tta can be very blunt but has he said anything wrong to describe those who are not Hindus as Malecha?
    It is the word used in our Shastra so need to take issue with him on this score. It is funny how we take notice from outsiders who has taken up the Dharma, most off the time we don’t even check weather he is saying the truth or not. A song comes to mind TanSe to Ajad ho gaye hum manse naa gayi gulami. We certainly have got this inferiority complex.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

That comment was not regarded to atanu, but the other indeed was. Atanu's position was that the Bible and Koran are equal to shruti, but I am not going to discuss that here in this thread. Atanu was not a westerner though, he even disregarded information when it came from western sources. When reading some old threads I have seen that Mahahrada needed to quote specifically from Hindu authors, because atanu bashed all the sources that came from white people.

Only person I know who has classed Jesus as an avatar is Srila Prabhupad so I don’t know this remark was addressed to.
    I do not know about Srila Prabhupada, but I remember in one interview he called the Christians corpse worshippers.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 15 March 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Admin Note

This thread has become off topic.
    satay

Thread Information