Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu world view vs Judaeo-Christian world view

Re: Hindu world view vs Judaeo-Christian world view

Hmmm ... I think you are drawing a long bow there.

I think what you might benefit from is looking at culture rather than history.

Christianity took birth in a Hellenistic culture which became Western rationalism while Islam took birth in a tribal culture which became the Sh'ia/Sunni divide. Very simplistic but you might get my drift here.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

I don't think you looked at the links I suggested.

Here they are, once again:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...dies-textbooks

http://aacounterterror.wordpress.com...akistan-study/

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/12/pa...-pakistan.html

They clearly show that Pakistan has indeed turned its history around in a direction of its own creation.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mohanty View Post
    Apologies for not being around lately. But life has been somewhat hectic on the work front. Just wanted to share an article of mine that got published in The Daily Pioneer.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/323016/T...eternally.html

Disclaimer: I do not refer to myself as a "writer, thinker, and scholar". That was the editor.
    great article! Next time, try to make the point that the western world view, really, is trash (life-negating, negative, and highly tamasic) and has been the cause of the greatest pogroms in the history of the world. Of course, communism is trying hard to catch up to them in that regard but that (communism) has been a much more recent phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post

Christianity took birth in a Hellenistic culture which became Western rationalism while Islam took birth in a tribal culture which became the Sh'ia/Sunni divide. Very simplistic but you might get my drift here.
    lol.. so because jew-christian nonsense is western it is somehow superior to islam? all three of them are absolute trash; started by the same demon, I mean, "person" abraham.

Those three ideologies are extremely dangerous and are a cancer on humanity.
    Last edited by satay; 15 March 2011 at 11:24 PM.

Christianity didn't take birth in Hellenistic culture. It swallowed Hellenistic culture after chewing hard upon it. Western rationalism grew in spite of Christianity, not because of it. Remember the dark ages?

Islam had a similar birth as Christianity. There was a prophet, a book, and a bunch of wars fought so everyone would read and agree with the book. End result remained the same.
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

I agree. We should differenciate between Western Culture and Christian Culture. Western culture is responsible for millions of successes in the Material world many of which are despised by Christian culture.

You may say that Western and Christian culture are intertwined. But you certainly can't say that people like Albert Einstein were a part of "Christian culture"

Pineblossom, the nonsense that he refers to are the ones with the aggressive attitude.

What's the use of standing still to aggressiveness? You may not want to touch on this subject, but that's just you.

It's gonna come to a point where muslims are going to be bombing everyone and christians starting (masked) holy wars for nothing (today?), new age talk of love is not gonna get them outta of it. I think the ones more close to India feel the effect of this (christian conversions, muslim violence) in a harsher way than some of us in other countries.

All in all the judaeo-christians world view is still very exploitative, intolerant and a harm to this world. Tolering intolerance is a no-go.

I belive the dharmic (I include Buddhism when I say this) religions are a way out!

PineBlossom.

On one side is an ideology that thinks it, and it alone, has the truth and its believers are superior to those who do not belong to it.

On the other side is an ideology that sees everyone as equal and all of humanity as one family.

You tell me, what kind of reconciliation is possible between the two?
    Vimoh's blog and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mohanty View Post
    Islam had a similar birth as Christianity. There was a prophet, a book, and a bunch of wars fought so everyone would read and agree with the book. End result remained the same.
    LOL. So true.

There's a neat book about the conflict between the Abrahamic religions and the "Polytheist" religions of Europe called, "God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism," by Jonathan Kirsch. It's primarily about the philosophical struggle between the generally tolerant Greco-Roman religions and the "Convert or Die!" mindset of Christianity and Islam...and their origins in early Judaism, which was just as much of a "Convert of Die!" ideology as its descendants. Also, the respected Egyptologist, Dr. Jan Assmann, has also written a great deal on the concept, particularly in his recent book, "The Price of Monotheism."

Of course, when an academic uses the terms "Monotheism," and "Polytheism," this causes some confusion for Hindus. "Monotheism" is generally reserved to describe the Abrahamic religions, or those who engage in the idea that, "My God...and only my way of worshiping said God...is the only TRUE way!" whereas any religion that accepts the existence of multiple gods and goddesses (even if they are viewed as being all essentially the same deity) are referred to as "Polytheism." For example, most people refer to the religion of the ancient Greeks as "Polytheism," but it is apparent that most philosophers of the period viewed their religion as being much closer to the Hindu view...that Zeus, Apollo, etc., were merely "aspects" of a single deity. (See Pythagoreanism, Platonism and Neoplatonism for examples...)

The pre-Christian peoples of Europe also viewed history through the same (and let's face it...more advanced and accurate...) view of a "cyclical" history as Hindus, which is just one of the myriad pieces of evidence pointing towards the Out of India Theory.

:::sigh:::

Sometimes, as a Westerner...I feel like Charleton Heston in "Planet of the Apes," who has just discovered how far the human race has devolved during the centuries that he was away...

I came here to explore Hindu teachings not your ideology masked as religion.

I see that religion is as just as fundamentalist as any other.

As I did not come here to partake in any ideology of 'hate' I'll take my leave.

Bye.
    Ah, and "pineblossom" fails the test of Swami TTA!

It is a very common occurance when talking with westerners. They are often ready to expose Islam, but suddenly get defensive when you talk about Judaism or Christianity. This all about holding double standards, you can also see this clearly in the western right wing politicians who speak about the dangers of Islam while they are relying on support from the Judeo-Christian population. The western hatred against Islam has more to do with xenophobia than with ideological differences, but then there are a lot of Hindus like Rajiv Malhotra who keep defending swamis and babas just because they are Indian all the while they are spreading universalism and abrahamic monotheism under the guise of Hinduism. This lack of will to stand up against Indian born Paramahamsas and Babas while still criticising abrahamic religions and westernisation of Hinduism is nothing less xenophobic.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 15 March 2011 at 10:16 AM.

Thread Information