Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Build a Sattvic Diet

Re: Build a Sattvic Diet

But are the food items I listed Sattvic according to Ayurvedic principles and popular interpretation?

It depends, peanut is a little oily and rajasic (I say this by observation).

I've heard that milk derivates are not really nice to ingest during the night time.

I think herbal tea is sattvic, agaist leaf tea that contains caffeine.

Yajvan could chime in better regarding ayurvedic principles here.

Namaste TheOne

[QUOTE=TheOne;60426]Any suggestions how to incorporate Flax seed/ Flax oil into a sattvic diet? [QUOTE]

Certainly they can - flax seeds in cereals, while cooking rice, khichadis, wheat bulgar, barley, buckwheat... why not ?

What about Ghee? I know Ghee should be used in moderation but with what? What would you use ghee with(besides cooking)?
    Ghee is used as a garnish with daal and rice typically, applied to chapatis/rotis (sparingly), you can use it as garnish over all savory warm cooked food - like khichadis, plain boiled daals and steamed legumes.
    Bhakti shastra says one should never offer grains without ghee (or some shortening) as naivedya to Bhagvan.

** Why did our ancients squeeze lemon over tuvar daal and rice ? Lemon (citrus) reduces the glycemic index of rice (refined carb).

This is my *rough list*
    I was wondering if any of these are not sattvic, and if so, to what degree? Are there any other products recommended to add?
    Out of this very good and healthful list,

Cheese is fermented, plus could have animal rennet. Fermented and aged cheeses are tamasic. I have already mentioned soft cheeses with plant rennet or paneer.

Grape Jam - i would not call it technically sAttvic as it would have lots of sugar (overdose) and preservatives - but a little is fine and upto you. I would not offer it to KRushNa, however.

Tea - has caffeine so if you must drink tea, i would suggest decaf herbal teas (i suppose those are the ones you meant).

I would not offer store-bought whole wheat toast to KRushNa becs of the yeast and preservatives. Other than that it is OK, but not technically sAttvic. A tortilla maker sounds like a good idea, and see the quick cooking energy grains in my last post.

Otherwise your list looks very good. Sattvic.

praNAm
    Jai Shri KRushNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information