Thread: Prayers to Surya

Prayers to Surya

The priest at my mandir, a lovely man, is very concerned about my health (it seems that every other week I come in I'm sick in some way, shape or form) and has recommended that I pray to Surya for my health.

Does anyone known any good prayers to Surya or any poojas that I could do?

Re: Prayers to Surya

Dear Friend,

There are many sacred hymns about Surya or Aditya...
    Here are a few available on the internet...

This link contains the Suryanamaskara, Dashanama[10 names], 108 names
    http://www.harekrsna.de/surya/surya-names.htm

This link contains the Surya Ashtakam
    http://www.hindu-blog.com/2009/01/pr...ord-surya.html

This link contains the Aditya Hrudayam
    http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/06/en...-hridayam.html

This link contains details regarding Surya Pooja
    http://hinduprayercentral.blogspot.c...urya-puja.html

And most important and powerful mantra is the "Gayatri Savitur Mantra" or the popularly known as "Gayatri Mantra"...that will help you a lot...

May that powerful Surya bless you with the strength and health needed by you to perform your duty...

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    The priest at my mandir, a lovely man, is very concerned about my health (it seems that every other week I come in I'm sick in some way, shape or form) and has recommended that I pray to Surya for my health.

Vannakkam DivineKala: Of course none of us is aware of your situation, but personally, I'd be looking at nutrition, amount of exercise, and other factors as well. One example (I'm not implying anything) is when people switch to a vegetarian diet, all they do is give up meat, but continue on with the junk food. Best wishes at increasing health.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté DK,

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post

First I do not have an answer to your question, but would like to offer a few ideas. All of the HDF members will offer you suggestions
    with good intent. Yet no one knows you personally. So it seems wise to see a doctor for best results. You may wish to visit a vaidya
    (āyurvedic doctor) as they treat the whole person ( body and mind), yet do what makes sense for your time, finances and the like.

Now, why did the priest suggest sūrya¹ as a devatā to consider for health improvement? From a jyotish point of view sūrya is the kāraka¹
    for the 1st house in one's chart - tanu.
    Tanu means the body, person, self. So sūrya has that influence on the body.
    One stays in balance with sūrya and the body stays in balance. What does sūrya own? The day , the month and the year. All growth and
    health is founded on sūrya. How one spends one's day ( for the sun provides the light for work to occur) or career/profession , daily activities
    are predicated on the sun and its balance.

The sun is a perfectly balanced graha (~planet~) - without this even-ness, this balance, no other planet can circle it ( have the proper
    angular momentum from a physics point of view). It is considered sattvic¹ by nature ( in balance). So the more balance you can express,
    the more you take on those sattvic qualities i.e. alignment with sūrya.

praṇām

words
    • kāraka - instrumental in bringing about the action
    • sūrya - the sun or its deity ; in the veda the name sūrya is generally distinguished from savitṛ ;
      • yet as time moves on sūrya is identified with savitṛ as one of the 12 ādityas of the Sun in the 12 months of the year ,
        tanu , the body , person , self
    • sattva - the quality of purity ; (regarded in the sāṃkhya school as the highest of the three guṇas qualites of prakṛti because
      it renders a person true , honest , pure , clean
    Last edited by yajvan; 14 March 2011 at 11:17 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hari Om Divine Kala,

A site that I like is www.totalbhakti.com they have bhajans, prayers, etc. I hope that you find something useful there.

Also, have you considered Rudraksha? Some of the beads have properties that are good for such deficiencies. There are several good reference sites on the net.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam DivineKala: Of course none of us is aware of your situation, but personally, I'd be looking at nutrition, amount of exercise, and other factors as well. One example (I'm not implying anything) is when people switch to a vegetarian diet, all they do is give up meat, but continue on with the junk food. Best wishes at increasing health.

Aum Namasivaya
    Unfortunately I cannot do much about weight and exercise and similar because I am on a medication that makes me put on weight no matter what I eat. (It's very frustrating.) I believe the medication may, in fact, be partially to blame for me current ill health but I will be going to the doctor today to see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om Divine Kala,

A site that I like is www.totalbhakti.com they have bhajans, prayers, etc. I hope that you find something useful there.

Also, have you considered Rudraksha? Some of the beads have properties that are good for such deficiencies. There are several good reference sites on the net.

Om Namah Sivaya!
    I wear rudraksha all the time. I have been wearing them since about 2007. While they are not the special, type specific ones I still wear them all the time.

Thread Information