Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Self and Maya

Self and Maya

Upanishads philosophy is as old as anything can be, and it so meaningful that its significance cannot be estimated unless one sincerely and seriously approaches it. So how this sacred thought can be best described?

Upanishads give us a true way of understanding this world and the meaning of human existence in it; it gives us a true sense of human life and the values one should cherish if one wants to stay calm and happy. Vedic philosophy is a way towards true happiness and peace of mind; it regulates human life in a way that enables one to stay in complete control of ones self and ones powers.

This sacred philosophy mainly is the philosophy of Atman, the true self or supreme ego. The teachings of Vedas lead a person towards a true understanding of this ultimate reality thus take a person out of the turmoils of meaninglessness of life. It is at times difficult to understand Vedic philosophy, but once one understands it one at once finds that one has achieved something precious.

In this preliminary lesson we will start with an important concept ' maya' or false consciousness. People in this world are mainly living in a false consciousness about themselves and about the world. So, the first and the most important thing to do is to leave this false consciousness.

What is false consciousness? In Upanishads , the great teachers have described three levels of false consciousness; these are:

Nama, Roopa and Karma.

Brhad-aranyaka Upanishads writes:

" Verily ,this (world) is a triad of Name, Form and Work(nama, rupam, karma). Of these regards names, speech is the source, for from it all names arise. ... it is their Brahman, for it sustains all names."

" of the form eye is the source, for from it all shapes arise. ...it is their Brahman"

"of works, body is the source for from it all works arise.... it is their Brahman."

The Upanishads declares that the real or the existent, the world of matter in which we live , is but a combination of these three ; Nama(Name) , Rupa(Form) and Karma(work).

What is self then? The Upanishads goes on to say that ," these three(Rupa, Nama and Karma) are one... the self , though one is this triad."

So self is a unity but is also a triad of the three realities(satyam), Rupa , Nama and Karma.

However, self is hidden behind these three, it is veiled by Rupa , Nama and Karma. The self , the Atman the Brahman is veiled behind the elements of triad.

This gives us the idea that if self is goal of life , then one has to break through this veil , the veil of Rupa , Nama and Karma.

It is neither easy to do nor to understand , however, Upanishads emphasizing the knowledge and achievement of self , ask man to understand that what ever man loves, understands and desires, is for nothing but for the Self.

Sat, reality or truth is the veil , behind this veil is the Self , Atman.

So Upanishads ask us to break this Veil, commonly known as Veil of Maya. How this can be done? Upanishads offer us a detailed and all embracing way to achieve this end.

In the nutshell, to break the Veil of Nama one has to abandon belief in personal attributes or qualities like being a this or that type of man or being a this or that type of character. According to some ascetics the only attributes that a person can retain are his or her sexual identity and faith. All other attributions are false including nationality, profession etc.

So, the first step towards breaking the Veil of Maya or False Consciousness is to renounce false attributes for the sake of Self.

The second step is to renounce worldly pleasures for the sake of Self. Rupa or form , the most pleasing to the eyes , is not desirable in-itself. Rupa or form is desirable for the sake of Self. Thus one should learn to renounce sensuous pleasure of viewing forms.

The third step is the renunciation of Karma. Karma is not ان-itself desirable. Karma or action is desirable for the Self. So one should learn to renounce action for the sake of Self.

This threefold doctrine is much emphasized strongly.

By. Dr. Khalid Jamil Rawat

Re: Self and Maya

Namaste Dr Khilawat,

That is a very good post !

However, your name is a little confusing. Are you a Hindu or a Muslim ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté khalidrawat

Quote Originally Posted by khalidrawat View Post
    In this preliminary lesson we will start with an important concept ' maya' or false consciousness. People in this world are mainly living in a false consciousness about themselves and about the world. So, the first and the most important thing to do is to leave this false consciousness.
    Thank you for your post and the notion of this discussion. It should be noted that the view of māyā you may wish to offer is from a vedāntic point of view ( as obvious from mentioning the ved, the upaniads and being in the advaita HDF folder).

That said, in śāntabrahmavāda ( another name for advaita vedānta) māyā is neither real or unreal¹ ( this can be explained on a future post).

In kaśmir śaivism the universe is perfectly real and māyā is the play and display of śakti. Why mention this? Both systems here are anchored in a non-dual ( advaita) view of Reality.

What's my point? I do not see māyā as false consciousness. How so? Māyā - this word is rooted in mā , meaning to measure. Hence this the notion of the Infinite, being as if measured out into finite things.

Many come to the conclusion that this māyā is anchored in the notion of illusion found in ādi śaṃkara's view of advaita vedānta (as mentioned, some call śāntabrahmavāda). This is not the case as I see it. This māyā brings about the experience of differences for us e.g. good , small, hot cold, good bad, right , wrong. It is the Supreme measured out in differences. In ignorance this māyā may be limiting, yet in liberation it is cinmayī.

praṇām

1. ādi śaṅkara-ji's offer in his Vivekacūḍāmaṇi - 111th śloka
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 March 2011 at 07:22 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Interesting.

@devotee

It wouldn't suprise me if he was a Muslim but one who draws inspiration and also follows parts of Hinduism.

You will find that intellectual Muslims who have read extensively find a certain liking for Vedanta.

But of course I will leave him to answer the question himself.
    Last edited by Kumar_Das; 20 March 2011 at 12:47 PM.

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by khalidrawat View Post
    All other attributions are false including nationality, profession etc.

By. Dr. Khalid Jamil Rawat
    Even the profession and titles, Dr.?
    satay

what is the line" sat,truth,reality is veil,whet is behind is atman" means???

what"s the practical inference of this post. to renounce and follow sat-sampati of jnanamargi sannyas?

how sat could be a veil.its the swaroop.

I am a Muslim. There is nothing to be confused about it. Upanishads are strongly recommended , for instance by Prince Dara Shikoh , for reading and understanding. Moreover, people like Schopenhauer (German Philosopher) considered the reading of Upanishads as essential.

Upanishads are amazing because one can have rational discourse on important matters. Furthermore, Upanishads present philosophical understanding, if a Muslim can read Western philosophy why he cannot like and read Upanishads. Being a part of our culture , originating from the Indus valley civilization, Upanishads are our own books.

Upanishads are far more understandable for south Asians than any Western thought. Words and concepts are already familiar to us , and there is a general air of familiarity throughout the text. So why not imbibe from one's own well than to beg wisdom from the others.

Sat, or reality, existence, as perceived in different forms, understood as name or concept, action with a belief in cause and effect , is a veil, for it is false consciousness. So if I recognize a car as a car, it is just a groundless belief, on the other hand the name car does not correspond to the form that I perceive.

Similarly , the particular form Rupa , that particular car is identified because of a habit , otherwise it is only a part of the larger background, it is my intention that highlighted the silhouette, or the particular form.

So, reality or Sat is illusion, a veil. But a veil hides something. So this reality also hides something , and something is the Atman.

However, the important question is how Maya works to create these illusions?

Second part of the question : In my opinion practical inference is that a person following Sat sampati and Jnana sanyas will be more practical.

Swaroop is sat , but it is not Vishv Rupa, the goal of Jnana Sanyas.

Khalid Rawat

Yes, all attributes are false, this is the realization, I will defend myself not my attribute, in a desert fighting for my life, I am neither KJR nor a Doctor. Had I not followed the course of life that I followed( it was not my choice) I would not have the name and attribute I now have.

I am a Muslim . But Upanishads are the revealed books of Sub Continent. Prince Dara Shikoh said so. Its a great experience to discuss on this forum.

Thread Information