Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LaVeyan Satanism and Carvaka.

Re: LaVeyan Satanism and Carvaka.

I knew exactly what movie that was before I clicked(psychic perhaps )

But seriously, I saw some of that movie and I think it is an incredibly accurate portrayal of protestant Christianity in America. They mix politics, religion, and singing/dancing to make a deadly cocktail that brainwashes kids and turns them into zombies saying that they love Jesus and if you don't love Jesus you must love the Devil.

Namaste Sanjaya,

You raise some good points. Last year when a fundamentalist Christian was trying to convert me he pretty much said that he thinks Hindu deities are demons. Then towards the end (mainly out of frustration) I just said "If you think the deities I pray to are demons, then I'm proud to say to you that I worship demons."

I think that most mainstream Christians don't think that our Hindu deities are demons. They just believe that they don't exist. Which I guess is reasonable, considering that they aren't Hindus. But certainly most fundamentalists think our deities are demons. On one hand I don't really care about what they think, but on the other hand that is a highly insulting something to believe. As I said, I suppose it's reasonable if they believe our deities just plain don't exist, but to think they are demons (the worst things in their religion) is very demeaning.

There probably are some mainstream Christians out there who think we worship demons, and I agree that we should try to persuade them otherwise when we encounter them. But that's only because they are mainstream Christians and at least have some degree of rationality and compassion. But I don't really see a point in trying to convince fundamentalist Christians otherwise. They are just too absorbed in their ignorance, hatred, and superiority complex. Especially if one of them tries converting me again, I would just say "I am proud to worship what you call demons" again. It would certainly scare them off and save me the time and pain of dealing with their conversion attempts

Jai Sri Ram

Namaste Ramakrishna,

I was just about to bring this point up. The majority of Christians or peoples of a Christian type background would probably consider Hindu deities in an impassive manner. To them, most likely the Devas don't exist as individual deities who all have Their parts to play in the universe, but of course this comes from branding Hinduism as polytheistic, rather than panentheistic. As for the fundamentals who claim our Gods are demons, who gives a hoot anymore? Every other religious and non-religious peoples in the world already are aware of that "my way or the highway" attitude they exude to all other spiritualities.

Also, Sanjaya, I agree with many of the points on your last post.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

I thought I had opened a can of worms, but I opened a can of interesting points of view.

You guys make me proud.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    I think that most mainstream Christians don't think that our Hindu deities are demons. They just believe that they don't exist. Which I guess is reasonable, considering that they aren't Hindus.

Jai Sri Ram
    So does this imply that it is NOT reasonable if one claims to be a "devout" Hindu (not by birth but by spirituality) , accepts the Vedic scriptures (and BG !), and yet believes the devtAs, Parameshwar are non-existent ? Which bucket do these fall under ? Our deities are not very easy to understand with a rational mind. However, these are the buckets

1. NAstik Atheist - no
    2. NAstik Agnostic - no
    3. Astik Theist - no
    4. Astik Atheist ? sadly yes.

If one points out that it is very very hard to understand our devtAs rationally, which is true, most Hindus would take a humble stand:

"Parmeshwar and devtAs all look like invisible pink unicorns to me. I do not understand them at all rationally. But, i love visible living entities, quantum mechanics, string theory, the vedic wisdom is good, it tells me that i shall keep reaping my karma as long as i identify with this body. Vedas tell me Parmeshwar is kind and will not punish me for not understanding Him or calling Him a pink unicorn. I will not be sent to a "hell", but am on my own (KrshNa says in BG that He keeps them in the same consciousness as long as they want to be there). So as long as i think He is a unicorn, and pink or magenta or blue, and as long as i cannot see Him, i shall simply ignore Him, and go my way"

Otherwise it is like grabbing the patent of an invention, and denying the inventor's existence. Cruder example: Saying PCs and Windows are the best but Bill Gates never existed. Now please don't attack this example - i said it is a crude example. Nevertheless, see how many regular Microsoft users keep cursing Bill Gates - this is not just Kali Yug, but the mentality described in BG as well.

Jai Shri KRushNa

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Smaranam,

You continue to try to enforce your viewpoint. You are saying the gods cannot be understood with a rational mind, then what can they be understood with an insane mind?

Your idea of "non-existance" and my ideas of "non-existance" you believe me and others to say that the Devas are nothing and they hold no place in any space or time while I meant that rather than being anthromorphic gods they are forces of consciousness able to manifest in places or time.

Yes beyond all that, the forces of consiousness themself are part of the infinite Brahman. And that infinite Brahman is in each of us. So yes, it's quite logical and many scholars have said the Gods are in each of us. And every atom of the universe.

Insane is not the opposite of Rational. This is a flawed conception based on an illuministic view that only logic is a valid way of perceiving life.

The opposite of Rational is Emotional, just like the opposite of a Sensation is Intuition.

Jung used to say that the irrational life has the same right to be lived as the rational life. Irrational would involve religion and its inate nature to deal with symbols of transcendece and archetypes of the unconscious.

However the Vedas never cease to amaze as they offer philosophical and religious material for both Rationality and Irrationality. Veda is indeed complete within itself.

My example concerns a young woman patient who, in spite of efforts made on both sides, proved to be psychologically inaccessible. The Difficulty lay in the fact that she always knew better about everything. Her excellent education had provided her with a weapon ideally suited to this purpose, namely a highly polished Cartesian rationalism with an impeccably "geometrical" idea of reality. After several fruitless attempts to sweeten her rationalism with a somewhat more human understanding, I had to confine myself to the hope that something unexpected and irrational would turn up, something that burst the intellectual retort into which she had sealed herself. Well, I was sitting opposite of her one day, with my back to the window, listening to her flow of rhetoric. She had an impressive dream the night before, in which someone had given her a golden scarab-a costly piece of jewellery. While she was still telling me this dream, I heard something behind me gently tapping on the window. I turned round and saw that it was a fairly large flying insect that was knocking against the window from outside in the obvious effort to get into the dark room. This seemed to me very strange. I opened the window and immediately and caught the insect in the air as it flew in. It was a scarabaeid beetle, or common rose-chafer, whose gold-green color most nearly resembles that of a golden scarab. I handed the beetle to my patient with the words "Here is your scarab." This broke the ice of her intellectual resistance. The treatment could now be continued with satisfactory results.

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Carl_Ju...ple_.281960.29
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 24 March 2011 at 06:15 AM.

I agree Pierto except I believe the opposite of rational is intuitive. Both of which are extremely important for humanity but having one without the other is often absurd and sometimes dangerous.

I think the Daoists cultivated intuitive thought very well. And I agree that moksha is indeed possible through intuitive thought because the Vedas cater to intuitive people as well. But I myself have structured/rational/Jnana inclination toward the divine. The only problem I have is when someone says "their way" of connecting with the divine is better than any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    I've read about this religion. While I'm no fan of Christianity, not everything that opposes it is necessarily good. Personally I can't see any redeeming attributes to a religion that glorifies the demonic figure of any other faith.
    I agree with you. Satanism is a very evil religion and I find that having an interest in Satanism distateful. To read about it in a newspaper or magazine or to hear about it in the news is one thing. But to take actual interest in it, that is pretty disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by skanthan View Post
    I agree with you. Satanism is a very evil religion and I find that having an interest in Satanism distateful. To read about it in a newspaper or magazine or to hear about it in the news is one thing. But to take actual interest in it, that is pretty disturbing.
    Evil does not go away by pretending it does not exist.

How can we be good if we don't have a definite idea of what is evil?

One does not become enlightned by imaging figures of light, but by bringing light into darkness. - Carl Gustav Jung
    What is devilish in us? What is asuric inside of this shell? When we think evil is on another person, we're looking with the wrong perspective, first by opening space for evil to grow unnoticed in the corners of our own minds and second by missing that the other is also a representation of ourselves.

Thread Information