Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

Away from all rites and ritules, or bookish knowledge, or the knowledge that you have gained from others, or your parents, or your religion etc... anywhere,

Honestly, Only just using your Heart,

What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

_/\_Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Re: What do you think what is bhakti (Devotion) ?

True Bhakti is surrender to God BUT I disagree with you when you said "away from all rites and rituals, bookish knowledge, etc. etc."

The knowledge you gain FROM these books, parents, and rituals increases your bhakti 100x.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    True Bhakti is surrender to God BUT I disagree with you when you said "away from all rites and rituals, bookish knowledge, etc. etc."

The knowledge you gain FROM these books, parents, and rituals increases your bhakti 100x.
    Yes they do, am agreed.
    But i want to know what a lonely heart says.

_/\_ Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

it is the love towards god. and one more imp thing that i believe, loving the lord is possible only through god's grace.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

Quote Originally Posted by amith vikram View Post
    it is the love towards god. and one more imp thing that i believe, loving the lord is possible only through god's grace.
    Namaste !

"loving the lord is possible only through god's grace"---- am i getting this right ?.... if the Lord does not want me to love him - i cannot love him ?-- what about my minute independece... i want to love him even if he does not want me to love him ... can he stop me ?

.... this sound terrible -- but i hope u understand what i am trying to say

j

Quote Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
    Namaste !

"loving the lord is possible only through god's grace"---- am i getting this right ?.... if the Lord does not want me to love him - i cannot love him ?-- what about my minute independece... i want to love him even if he does not want me to love him ... can he stop me ?

j
    I have also heard, " Pyaar kiya nahin jata ho jata hai "

English: " Love is not the thing to do, it just appears "

_/\_Jasdir

Quote Originally Posted by jaswant View Post
    Namaste !

j
    Namaste,
    The thing what i was trying to say was, an opportunity to read the leelas and the heart to feel it was blessed by the lord. I can't claim that i am a bhakta, but i feel he has given me such a privilege that i can revel in his thoughts.
    Let me quote an instance here: In the Bhagavad Geeta, Vishvaroopa darshana chapter, bhagavan says- look arjuna these enemies are already killed by me. Weather you fight or not, they will die for sure. You are only a nimitta. So fight!
    And also he says-the person who is blinded by ignorance claims that he has done this he has done that.

So it is wise to admit that it is only by the grace of god that we are able to enjoy his company.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdir View Post

_/\_Jasdir
    That i think, is god's will. What do you think?

Namaste,

I have always thought I understood the exact meaning of bhakti, but I have realised that over time, my understanding of it has changed slowly, almost imperceptibly. I cannot tell you exactly what I had once thought of it, but my current stance on it is somewhat different to what it once was. I thought once it was merely love for God, but I see now that bhakti is much more than that. In its simplest form it is, as the other members have pointed out, complete and total surrender to God. And I absolutely do agree that knowledge of His names, forms, ritual worship can aid in cultivating the right frame of mind for bhakti yoga. They say that of all the yoga paths, bhakti yoga is the simplest because it is readily accessible to all peoples, whatever their karmic state, whatever their station, gender, etc.

_/\_Jasdir
    I agree with this. True love, which is the basis of our true nature, is something that arises within each of us naturally. One cannot "concentrate" on giving love, it is the effortless effort, unconditional, infinite and without limit. The only potential threat to this pure, divine love is the ego, which places itself above all else. This needs to be eroded in order to feel the full impact of bhakti for God.

That i think, is god's will. What do you think?
    Agreed, but then again, isn't everything God's will? Does this mean then, that true bhakti actually arises from God, rather than the devotee?

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste,

. The only potential threat to this pure, divine love is the ego, which places itself above all else. This needs to be eroded in order to feel the full impact of bhakti for God.

Om namah Shivaya
    Namaste,
    you have answered your own question. Yes, i agree one would normally think that, he or she chose to be a bhakta and continued the bhakti. But in the long run however, one would realize that it was because of the lord's compassion that we were able to connect with him. The thing what i want to say here is, if you look back at your life and assess everything that you have done, not even a single time can u claim-i achieved this; It was only a chance,it all just happened.

Thread Information