Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips to give up non-veg

Tips to give up non-veg

Hello all,
    I try so hard to stop eating non-veg but I'm unable to give up. Though I have controlled the intake I'm still struggling to give it up entirely. Is there any effective way of slowly giving up?
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

2. Re: Tips to give up non-veg

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Hello all,
    I try so hard to stop eating non-veg but I'm unable to give up. Though I have controlled the intake I'm still struggling to give it up entirely. Is there any effective way of slowly giving up?
    What is your devotion all about ? Are you asking so much from ॐ ?

Give up, just like I did.

Pray your deity with pure heart, and you will start hating all kind of Adharmic deeds.
    Last edited by PARAM; 22 March 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: edit
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Re: Tips to give up non-veg

Is there any effective way of slowly giving up?

Namaste,

If you have been living most of your life with a meat-based diet, I can understand why you might be experiencing some difficulty with changing to a wholly veggie diet. Some find it very easy, others will find it exceedingly difficult to stick by because of attachment to baser sense pleasures like the taste of meat. Try to look at it as objectively as possible. It made me quit eating meat and non vegetarian foods a lot faster that way. Ask yourself: Where did this food come from? What exactly is it that I am ingesting? Whose life was snatched away to be placed inside my mouth and stomach? Were they frightened at the time of their death? Did I know this soul in another past life? If you start looking at your diet in this light, it might help to erode the foundation you might have that has been built solely on tastes and perception of meat foods.

Perhaps you could start by cutting out meat a little bit here and there everyday for a week. I don't mean going cold turkey all at once (excuse the pun!), because, like I said before, it might make cravings all the more intense if you have struggled to stay on a vegetarian diet. Start looking at what you eat everyday. What could you cut out? In the morning when you have breakfast, look at your plate and leave out the meat portions. Do this for a week. Then repeat the same course of action and add to that your cutting out meat in your lunch, then dinner, etc. This gradual deprivation of meat might make it a lot easier. I know it helped for me when I changed my diet. You slowly realise that going with meat foods isn't actually all that difficult if you take it one step at a time.

Of course, meditation and prayer will assist with this, so continue with it regularly if you can. May Lord Ganesha remove any obstacles that might impede your spiritual progress.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste all. There was a thread here recently, that clearly states that vegetarianism is not a mandatory requirement of hinduism. Non veg eating is NOT unhindu, for clarity. Cow slaughtering IS unhindu.Some Bengali and Kashmiri Brahmins eat nonveg. Majority hindus are nonvegetarians, believe me.
    That said, vegetarianism is encouraged and recommended. I hope you all notice the difference and not to remain guilty and bogged down for no serious reason. shanti

Namaste RealDemiGod,

Congratulations on your first step - icchA. It is indeed daivI (like a RealDemiGod) to be vegetarian. I can point to some discussions we already had:

Try these steps, while adding healthy alternatives (legumes, nuts, flax etc.) as discussed here:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...41&postcount=9

0. Talk to, pray to the Lord asking for help with the resolution. Without Your Grace, how can i possibly overcome this ? Not a blade of grass can move without Your Will.

1. Give up red meat - very easy ? Outside and at home.
    2. After 2 weeks, start giving up poultry, at least at home. Gradually, as you become more knowledgeable of alternatives, outside as well.
    3. After 1 or 2 weeks give up fish
    4. A few weeks later - your judgement - give up eggs. This last seems hard for some, and we talked about it here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...66&postcount=8

Wish you all the best, and with BhagvAn's grace you will never want to go back.

Jai Shri KrushNa

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

thanks everyone for your suggestions
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Namaste Realdemigod,

Considering that I became a vegetarian at age 9 and I was never much of a meat eater to begin with, I can't offer you much advice. It was a pretty easy process for me. But I can definitely understand how this might be a difficult process people who are used to eating a lot of meat or have been eating meat for a long time. Sunyata and Smaranam offer great advice. Something I would reiterate is to at least try to cut out all beef from your diet first and foremost, if you do eat beef. Keep in mind that Mother Cow is highly revered in our religion. Then you can work on cutting out other meat products. Good luck and I pray for your success.

Jai Sri Ram

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Majority hindus are nonvegetarians, believe me.
    Namaste Charitra,

Are you sure about that? I know that probably most of the members of my family eat meat, but none of them eat beef, only chicken and turkey for the most part. But they are not very devout Hindus and some of them are pretty much non-practicing. But I always thought that at least the majority (over 50%) of Hindus are vegetarian. I can imagine something like that would be difficult to determine exactly, but I always thought that the majority are indeed vegetarians. Do you have a source or anything to back that up?

Jai Sri Ram

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Namaste all. There was a thread here recently, that clearly states that vegetarianism is not a mandatory requirement of hinduism. Non veg eating is NOT unhindu, for clarity. Cow slaughtering IS unhindu.Some Bengali and Kashmiri Brahmins eat nonveg. Majority hindus are nonvegetarians, believe me.
    That said, vegetarianism is encouraged and recommended. I hope you all notice the difference and not to remain guilty and bogged down for no serious reason. shanti
    The first thing that I suggest to people is to become vegetarian. Usually they also start becoming more interested in Hinduism after adopting a vegetarian diet. In my opinion it has to do with the gunas, eating dead animals is very tamasic and creates a clutter of heavy energy on people.

If one is having difficulty stop eating meat? Realize meat is a dead animal. Realize there are great rajasic and sattvic foods made of vegetables that taste great! Realize again meat is a dead animal.

Last time I researched more than 50% of India is vegetarian. That's an expressive number!

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Hello all,
    I gave up non-veg at the age of 12. I just prayed to god that "I have made my mind to give up non-veg, god you only have to help me in this."

From that time till now am leaving a vegetarian life.

So its all in your hands realdemigod, just set your mind towards it and keep on practicing vegetarian food. You will surely achieve it.

Thread Information