Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tips to give up non-veg

Re: Tips to give up non-veg

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Namaste all,
    Should you decide to go absolute vegan then please do comply with the daily requirements of proteins.
    Shanti.
    To ShantiJi's good advice, i would add B12, calcium and Vitamin D. If you replace milk with fortified Soy Milk, 1 glass a day will give the protein, B12 and calcium, plus, increase leafy greens and legumes for calcium - spinach, kale, chard... Add tofu occasionally but not too much.

*** To absorb the calcium, go out in the Sun and get lots of Vitamin D.

Then add a dash of occasional fortified almond, rice and coconut milks. Coconut helps with Ph balancing (acidity). Also makes milk-based recipes tastier at times: Halwas, Laddoos, Cakes, Cookies

Some countries may not have fortified non-dairy easily available. Tofu also takes care of the protein and calcium. Indian markets have Indianized Soy milk - mango and pistA flavors

Adharam madhuram Hrudayam madhuram MadhurAdhipater akhilam madhuram

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

WARNING: MAke sure the Soy milk does not have isoflavons - too much of it is not good.

Gopa madhura gAvo madhura MadhurAdhipater akhilam madhuram ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Pranam

many good advice here.
    all i can say is if one kill and eat it's own pray perhaps there is no paap in it, there no real good reason to eat meat for those who understand the laws off Karma and the value off food.

it has been suggested that there is no restriction in Hindu dietary requirement, well i would not like to argue that point here because the OP is asking for tips to give up meat, so there is no need to encourage that subject here.

open up a new thread if there is interest to discuss if shastra sanctions meat eating, sure Vedas do say one living entity is food for another but one must also remember ahimsa and make a balance choice. a human can certainly survive and thrive on vegetarian food but a meat eater would not live very long without veg. if we want mercy and i sure do then i have to learn to be merciful.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    a human can certainly survive and thrive on vegetarian food but a meat eater would not live very long without veg. if we want mercy and i sure do then i have to learn to be merciful.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Vannakkam Ganeshprasad: I agree with moving the shastric arguments for or against meat eating to another thread, or continuing over where one already exists. But I just wanted to tell you an interesting diversion. The native indigenous peoples of Canada (and I assume elsewhere) made sure to eat the stomach contents of animals such as deer and caribou that they killed. This is where they got much of the dietary balance (vitamins) from. I'm not sure whether the stomach contents would be considered vegetarian or meat. Meat is just mostly muscle, whereas the contents of an animal stomach would be partially digested grasses and mosses, and I can see how one could argue that it was vegetable.

Aum Namasivaya

5. Re: Tips to give up non-veg

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    A steadfast vegan is adopting the hindu tenets of ahinsa and daya to the last letter. Admirable and to be encouraged indeed. Is Veganism a Testament? Not sure.
    Dharma is clear calf is first child so claf should be allowed to drink milk first, after it reast of the milk is Mother's gift for the world.
    Vegan depends on the situation, if milk industries use adharmik tactics, and you have no other source of Milk, then better be Vegan, or you are drinking robbed milk which belongs to calf. If Dharmic rules are supported, like in Hindu Goshala, then drink Milk, it is Mother's gift from Om.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    all i can say is if one kill and eat it's own pray perhaps there is no paap in it, there no real good reason to eat meat for those who understand the laws off Karma and the value off food.

it has been suggested that there is no restriction in Hindu dietary requirement, well i would not like to argue that point here because the OP is asking for tips to give up meat, so there is no need to encourage that subject here.
    Of course it is pap, You where arguing with me last time if animals can attain moksha, where is your knowledge about Ramayan now ? Valmiki himself accept it is adharm, and animals also have rights.

open up a new thread if there is interest to discuss if shastra sanctions meat eating, sure Vedas do say one living entity is food for another but one must also remember ahimsa and make a balance choice. a human can certainly survive and thrive on vegetarian food but a meat eater would not live very long without veg. if we want mercy and i sure do then i have to learn to be merciful.
    Provide those verses, are those for human too ? A Lion can eat a bear, a bear can eat a goat, and goat is vegetarian but Human cannot eat any of them.

Jai Shree Krishna[/quote]
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    whereas the contents of an animal stomach would be partially digested grasses and mosses, and I can see how one could argue that it was vegetable.
    Aum Namasivaya
    I see this from a different vantage point. To do this the animal must be killed. This same argument could be used for killing an elephant for it's tusks.
    The elephant was not eaten so no harm , no foul ?

These arguments, while mildly academic, the animal remains dead.

The point (for me) is not how healthy I become from the consumption of other beings, but the level of grief, hiṃsā¹, that is left behind.

praṇām

words
    • hiṃsā हिंसा - injury or harm said to be of three kinds :
      • mental as bearing malice
      • verbal as abusive language
      • personal as acts of violence
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 March 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Veda prohibits meat eating...17/1 ch yajurveda
    Bold art thou. Cast away the Corpse-consumer. Drive off
    the fire that eats raw flesh, O Agni.
    That which makes offerings to the Gods bring hither.
    Firm art thou. Make earth firm. For the foe's slaughter I
    set thee on, devoted to the priesthood, devoted to the
    nobles and the kinsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast EM

I see this from a different vantage point. To do this the animal must be killed. This same argument could be used for killing an elephant for it's tusks.
    The elephant was not eaten so no harm , no foul ?

These arguments, while mildly academic, the animal remains dead.

The point (for me) is not how healthy I become from the consumption of other beings, but the level of greif, hiṃsā, that is left behind.

praṇām

words
    • hiṃsā हिंसा - injury or harm said to be of three kinds :
      • mental as bearing malice
      • verbal as abusive language
      • personal as acts of violence
    Vannakkam Yajvan: I agree with you totally. I was just saying, 'the argument could be made' not that I was making it.

Still I have more empathy for the hunting and gathering carnivorous nomads of the past who really didn't know any better than those now who do, or should - from the knowledge so readily available about many different pros of vegetarianism, including ahimsa as the foremost one.

Aum Namasivaya

9. Re: Tips to give up non-veg

Quote Originally Posted by kd gupta View Post
    Veda prohibits meat eating...17/1 ch yajurveda
    Bold art thou. Cast away the Corpse-consumer. Drive off
    the fire that eats raw flesh, O Agni.
    That which makes offerings to the Gods bring hither.
    Firm art thou. Make earth firm. For the foe's slaughter I
    set thee on, devoted to the priesthood, devoted to the
    nobles and the kinsmen.
    Thanks, you already know Vedic rules
    I was wondering, when somebody ask for becoming vegetarian, why other come in to oppose it in the name of Dharma Granthas ? Lying about Dharma Granthas is totally unacceptable.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Pranam EM

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    But I just wanted to tell you an interesting diversion. The native indigenous peoples of Canada (and I assume elsewhere) made sure to eat the stomach contents of animals such as deer and caribou that they killed. This is where they got much of the dietary balance (vitamins) from. I'm not sure whether the stomach contents would be considered vegetarian or meat. Meat is just mostly muscle, whereas the contents of an animal stomach would be partially digested grasses and mosses, and I can see how one could argue that it was vegetable.

Aum Namasivaya
    Yes i did consider Eskimos and such people thus i said in my opening line "all i can say is if one kill and eat it's own pray perhaps there is no paap in it" i do not know what other diet they would have excess to.
    but we are not taking off them are we?
    today five fruit and veg is what the general advise is to have a healthy life at least that is what they are pushing here in UK.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information