Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~~

Namaste,

For those that have been on the path for a bit, and wish to go deeper into this most profound study of Para-atman , you may want to consider reading Vasistha's Yoga. This is a conversation of the brahmrishi Vasistha with Sri Rama.

For me, this is most inspiring and it develops a keen undersanding of the SELF. Let me share a few thoughts from brahmrisi Vasistha....

He says to Rama " there are 4 gatekeepers at the entrance to the realm of enlightenment that is: self-control, spirit of enquiry, contentment, and good company" ( Good company in this case is the surroundings of those in the Spirit . This site is a good 'surrounding' for us)

"
    He who wears the armor of self control is not harmed by sorrows." With enquiry, " the intelligence becomes keen and is able to realize the Supreme". Hence the study of wisdom, the Vedas, the Upanishads, the bible, is a good source for this enquiry.

With Contentment - "one does not crave" and one that is not content in the SELF will be subjected to sorrow. The company of the wise and enlightened "enlarges ones intelligence" and "is superior to all other forms of religious practice like charity, austerity, pilgrimage, rites, etc".
    He concludes by saying "if you cannot practice all 4 , practice one."

"when the infinite vibrates, the worlds appear to emerge" - rishi vasistha
    Last edited by yajvan; 11 December 2006 at 08:59 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Vasistha's Yoga

This is my favorite scripture! I have every translation (I think) in English - abridgements and the one complete one by Mitra/Arya.

Does anyone know of another complete English version or one in process of being translated?

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    This is my favorite scripture! I have every translation (I think) in English - abridgements and the one complete one by Mitra/Arya.

Does anyone know of another complete English version or one in process of being translated?
    Namaste Skull

I have "The Supreme Yoga" by Swami Venkatesananda of Sivananda School (Divine Life Society). This a complete translation of Yoga Vashista but is not presented in verse form.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste Skull

I have "The Supreme Yoga" by Swami Venkatesananda of Sivananda School (Divine Life Society). This a complete translation of Yoga Vashista but is not presented in verse form.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Sorry atanu; unless there is a new edition, that version which I have (re-titled Vasistha's Yoga by SUNY) is an abridgement. Every sub-section is quoted by Swami V., but not each and every verse in full.

I did find an online new translation ongoing - but the site is cluttered and I am not sure if this group is still translating or not?

http://groups.google.ca/group/yoga-vasishtha

The earlier Divine Life version was in two volumes (1976) and arranged as a daily reader - one passage per day. But it was not a complete translation either.
    Last edited by Skull; 04 July 2010 at 09:58 AM.

Sorry atanu; unless there is a new edition, that version which I have (re-titled Vasistha's Yoga by SUNY) is an abridgement. Every sub-section is quoted by Swami V., but not each and every verse in full.

I did find an online new translation ongoing - but the site is cluttered and I am not sure if this group is still translating or not?

http://groups.google.ca/group/yoga-vasishtha

The earlier Divine Life version was in two volumes (1976) and arranged as a daily reader - one passage per day. But it was not a complete translation either.
    namaste Skull

You are correct. Verse by verse translation it is not. But as per author and other commentators, it is not an adridgement either -- all verses and all essential points are covered.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

atanu: Verse by verse translation it is not.... all verses ... are covered.
    It is a wonderful presentation and I understand the spirit of your response - but your logic and words contradict. Every verse is not translated, nor is every verse represented, even in condensed form.

Wiki is not always correct, but this entry is. Go to the bottom of the page, under English translations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_Va..._Yoga_Vasistha
    Last edited by Skull; 04 July 2010 at 11:19 AM.

It is a wonderful presentation and I understand the spirit of your response - but your logic and words contradict. Every verse is not translated, nor is every verse represented, even in condensed form.
    namaste

I understand your point. Each page in this book is a summary of verses contained in a chapter. That is why i said that the essential teachings are all captured.

But if you have the full verse by verse translation that should be great.

Om Namah Shivay

atanu:
    But if you have the full verse by verse translation that should be great.
    I wish the Mitra/Arya one was "great", but the english is often odd or opaque. A Sanskrit knowing friend said it was a paraphrase in many verses. That is why I am looking and hoping for a better complete version.

I wish the Mitra/Arya one was "great", but the english is often odd or opaque. A Sanskrit knowing friend said it was a paraphrase in many verses. That is why I am looking and hoping for a better complete version.
    Namaste

To have a perfect product, a sanskrit scholar and a competent english writer must collaborate. Among small books, I like most the translation of Yoga Sutra by Swami Prabhavananda and Isherwood. The book is a delight to read becuase of depth of concepts of yoga conveyed by swami and depicted lucidly by Isherwood. Most english translations by indian writers tend to become heavy and dry.

For a massive book like Yoga Vasista that may be a difficult task yet our wishes may come true.

Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Vasistha's Yoga terms

A friend wonders what these terms mean, as used in Yoga Vasistha:

adhibhautika body
    ativahika body
    chin-maya form
    manomaya deha
    jynyan body

Thread Information