Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

Re: Vasistha's Yoga terms

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté skull (et.al)

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    A friend wonders what these terms mean, as used in Yoga Vasistha:

adhibhautika body
    ativahika body
    chin-maya form
    manomaya deha
    jynyan body
    These are considered the 5 kośa's - sheaths or coverings over one's SELF. Some say 3 coverings. The definition is also given as a cask , vessel for holding liquids , (metaphorically) cloud.

Names and numbers differ pending who you read.
    • annamaya - physical layer or cover
    • prāṇamaya - vital or life force cover
    • manomaya -mind/mental cover
    • vijñānamaya - ~consciousness~ - yet a deeper discussion on this one word is needed
    • ānandamaya - bliss cover
    The 5 mentioned above are inferred in the taittirīya upaniṣad if my memory serves me correctly - I will need to revist it.

Here are the 3 ( vs. 5) that I have also read:
    • ānanda-maya kośa- which forms the kāraṇa-śarīra or causal frame, some call the essense of bliss.
    • vijñāna-maya kośa - (or buddhi-maya kośa or mano-maya kośa) the sheath of the intellect, sūkṣma-śarīra, considered the subtle frame
    • anna-maya kośa - or the sheath of nourishment, forming the sthūla-śarīra or our gross frame
    Hope this helps.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I am familiar with the kosas yajvan. Why do you think these terms are synonyms, since only manomaya is identical?

For example, two translations said ativahika body was a "subtle mind or thought body".

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté skull (et.al)

I am familiar with the kosas yajvan. Why do you think these terms are synonyms, since only manomaya is identical?

For example, two translations said ativahika body was a "subtle mind or thought body".
    For example, ativāhika is defined as 'swifter than the wind' . There are many examples of 'mind' being like this.Yet if we take it apart we get the following:
    • ati = going beyond +
    • vāhika - from vāha a car or vehicle ( usually drawn by oxen)
    We could then say this ati + vāhika is 'beyond' + vāhika. Our bodies are considered a car or a vehicle. We could align this meaning to mean beyond the body as in your offering of 'thought body' .

Is your 'jynyan' not jñāna perhaps? Then there is the match to vijñāna - 'the act of distinguishing or discerning , understanding' and indicates knowledge .

'Chin' is cin ( as 'c' is pronounced 'ch' ) and this 'cin' = 'cit'. This 'cit' is to understand , comprehend , know , to remember , have consciousness. We arive back at consciousness and knowlege again.

So from my POV the 5 kośa's offered ( as I see it) are different views of the coverings. The alignment is not as tight to the typical 5 we know of. Yet if you would be so kind as to point out where this occurs in Yogavasișțharāmāyaṇa, also known as the Yoga Vasișțha, I will be happy to review this section and see.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast skull (et.al)

For example, ativāhika is defined as 'swifter than the wind' . There are many examples of 'mind' being like this.Yet if we take it apart we get the following:
    • ati = going beyond +
    • vāhika - from vāha a car or vehicle ( usually drawn by oxen)
    We could then say this ati + vāhika is 'beyond' + vāhika. Our bodies are considered a car or a vehicle. We could align this meaning to mean beyond the body as in your offering of 'thought body' .

Is your 'jynyan' not jāna perhaps? Then there is the match to vijāna - 'the act of distinguishing or discerning , understanding' and indicates knowledge .

'Chin' is cin ( as 'c' is pronounced 'ch' ) and this 'cin' = 'cit'. This 'cit' is to understand , comprehend , know , to remember , have consciousness. We arive back at consciousness and knowlege again.

So from my POV the 5 kośa's offered ( as I see it) are different views of the coverings. The alignment is not as tight to the typical 5 we know of. Yet if you would be so kind as to point out where this occurs in Yogavasișțharāmāyaṇa, also known as the Yoga Vasișțha, I will be happy to review this section and see.

praṇām
    Unfortunately, my friend got these terms from an old booklet on the YV by Bhagavan Das that did not give section or verse or anything.

In Chinese there are programs that can search terms within the entire Buddhist corpus. I wonder if there is anything like that for searching Sanskrit works?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast skull (et.al)

I wonder if there is anything like that for searching Sanskrit works?
    I think I have an electronic version of the yoga vasișțha somewhere (yet prefer my hardcover). I will keep this topic in mind as I study and read and see what shows up.

And there is also the possibility that the 5 you have discussed in your previous posts are not kośa's at all and I have missed the mark.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Re: Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

Namaste.
    I find many of you are aware of YV in print.
    Indeed this is a great creation of Valmiki -- the Tattva gets conveyed with story-telling and information for "science-types".

1) HELP needed: Can someone help me with the details of availability of any publication (prefer in print) containing (preferably all) original sanskrit verses only (at least of Nirvana Prakarana)? ,

I have recently got Sri Vihari Lala Mitras' 4 vols (all prakaranas) from Low Price Publications, New Delhi. A great book indeed. The English reading, I feel, will be complete and enjoyable only by referring to the original Skt. verses

2) Other Info:
    I began reading "Samkshipta Yoga Vasishta" -- it has translated virtually all verses, in Hindi. (from Gita Press, Gorakhpur Publn 574).
    What prompted me to get this "full book" (of all Prakaranas) was the following book.
    "Quietude" by Swami Bhoomananda Tirtha. (visit www.brahmavidya.org for details, ordering) It is written in "Powerful English" and covers Upasama Prakarana.

Presently Swamiji is discussing Nirvana Prakarana in the monthly magazine Vicharasetu (English and Malayalam) of the Ashram.

Re: Vasistha's Yoga - if you have interest.

Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    Namaste.
    I find many of you are aware of YV in print.
    Indeed this is a great creation of Valmiki -- the Tattva gets conveyed with story-telling and information for "science-types".

1) HELP needed: Can someone help me with the details of availability of any publication (prefer in print) containing (preferably all) original sanskrit verses only (at least of Nirvana Prakarana)? ,

I have recently got Sri Vihari Lala Mitras' 4 vols (all prakaranas) from Low Price Publications, New Delhi. A great book indeed. The English reading, I feel, will be complete and enjoyable only by referring to the original Skt. verses

2) Other Info:
    I began reading "Samkshipta Yoga Vasishta" -- it has translated virtually all verses, in Hindi. (from Gita Press, Gorakhpur Publn 574).
    What prompted me to get this "full book" (of all Prakaranas) was the following book.
    "Quietude" by Swami Bhoomananda Tirtha. (visit www.brahmavidya.org for details, ordering) It is written in "Powerful English" and covers Upasama Prakarana.

Presently Swamiji is discussing Nirvana Prakarana in the monthly magazine Vicharasetu (English and Malayalam) of the Ashram.
    I guess "Low Price" cut out the Devanagari. My Parimal pub. edition includes them. Of course it is much more expensive.

Thread Information