Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat is Tamsik, not conducive to Physical or spiritual growth

Re: Meat is Tamsik, not conducive to Physical or spiritual growth

http://www.valmikiramayan.net/ayodhy...a_56_frame.htm

21-23

I don't mean to criticize I just wish to know.

Animal sacrifice has always been part of vedic culture, but due to influence of reform movements most Hindu beliefs have been "sanitised." I have a version of the Valmiki Ramayana from the Arya Samaj (reform movement) and around 5/6 of the scripture is edited out, I also have another translation where the verses are not translated properly to avoid controversy among people.

I remember during my upanayana sanskaar I recieved a piece of deer skin from my guru. Old member sambya has made me aware that even ashtagandha (mix of eight powders) that is offered to Vishnu has animal ingredients (musk).
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 26 March 2011 at 07:22 PM.

Then how can say killing an animal for eating is worse than killing an animal for a sacrifice. Both involve inflicting pain and the taking of a life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Then how can say killing an animal for eating is worse than killing an animal for a sacrifice. Both involve inflicting pain and the taking of a life.
    The sacrificial animals in yajnas are said to go to the heavens.

The translation of the vedas that have been provided earlier are not proper translations, the vedas do not prohibit meat eating. Vegetarianism is recommended, but ultimate it's a personal choice, not something mandatory. Some scriptures mention that meat can be eaten after sprinkling it water after reciting mantras. Manu sums it up nicely:

न मांसभक्षणे दोषो न मद्ये न च मैथुने।
    प्रवृत्तिरेषा भूतानां निवृत्तिस्तु महाफला॥
    na māṁsabhakṣaṇe doṣo na madye na ca maithune |
    pravṛttireṣā bhūtānāṁ nivṛttistu mahāphalā ||

"There is no sin for living beings in eating meat nor is there sin in drinking alcohol or having sex, but abstaining from them will bring great results."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Vannakkam TheOne: Obviously, as with a lot of moral or ethical ideas within SD, there will be a wide variety of opinion. We have seen it here, and there is a lot more. One has to remember that the religion is vast. The Thirukkural which I quoted was written about 2200 years ago, supposedly, and at least in that corner of the earth, Tiruvalluvar spoke of vegetarianism. That does not mean he was right or wrong. We have scriptures for, scriptures against, Gurus for, Gurus against, communities for, communities against. In the end it is up to you and you alone. When scriptures are used for guidance, but then we find contradictions, what choice do we have but to rely on our own guts (pun intended)?

Personally, I choose to ignore scriptures, communities, doctors, scholars, other Hindus, friends, wellwishers, and any other method through which meat eating is advocated.

Others are exactly the opposite, and will seek out any such source where it is advocated.

Best wishes going within and deciding what is right for you.

Aum Namasivaya

Others are exactly the opposite, and will seek out any such source where it is advocated.
    I have done this here to bring some balance in the conversation. I do not advocate meat eating. I could quote injunctions to eat vegetarian as well, but not from the veda samhitas themselves, unless I use translations of Hindu reformers of the 19th century which are severely contrived in order to fit certain ideals of colonial neo-Hinduism. This was only done because these reformers only accepted the vedas exclusively. This is called vedic fundamentalism and I do not support this, ultimately it's better to take a honest look at what the scriptures have to say.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 26 March 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks Sahasranama, you have added much sense in what was another senseless discussion on this favourite topic of HDF.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    . I am more familiar with Tulsidas Manas having read many times.
    Tulsidas added a disclamer in his ramacharitmanas that it was how he (Tulisdas) perceived Rama. Even he knew and made it clear that he was not narrating the actual Ramayana

for the moment i will desist from commenting on this thread, my faith has been stirred as never before, i will have to go back and contemplate and seek answers, henceforth i will observe silence on the subject.
    Hope you come out of it and able to see that SD culture was not what we have made it today. It was much more like a free western democracy that we like to bash here, except with a spiritual angle. What we defend as SD today are nothing but victorian morals and decadent medieval sentimentalism. It is also necessary to understand that the religion and culture of the time of Rama is no more extant and what we have now are far more recent and acquired morals super-imposed on ancient stories.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namaste Sahas,

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post

The translation of the vedas that have been provided earlier are not proper translations, the vedas do not prohibit meat eating. Vegetarianism is recommended, but ultimate it's a personal choice, not something mandatory. Some scriptures mention that meat can be eaten after sprinkling it water after reciting mantras. Manu sums it up nicely:

"There is no sin for living beings in eating meat nor is there sin in drinking alcohol or having sex, but abstaining from them will bring great results."
    That is a very good post !

We should also remember that there is no single formula for each and every one to follow in Hinduism.

If you are a Vaishnava, Shaiva or an Advaitin then you will have to leave meat eating for your spiritual progress. If you are a common Hindu then it all depends upon you to decide. If you are Aghori, Vaammaargi or Shakta then meat eating is as good as eating anything else ... in fact, in some cases, it may be compulsory.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Meat may be considered as a luxury by a brahmin but perhaps not in the current state of things, since in the industry it is just tamasic decomposed food (not much to argue about that). I'm not sure if it's considered a sin to eat a bovine's meat (and also other animals) that died of natural causes, how is it viwed on India?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post

ISKCON also likes to stress that yajnas are not this yuga-dharma and also in Kali-yuga there are no souls to carry the sacrifice properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    GaneshPrasad it appears that you are intellectually challenged. If I may ask how old are you? I also sense a lack of maturity. Surely you cannot be more than 30.
    Kumar Das, are you trolling?

Thread Information