Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with Bhakti?

Smile Re: Please help me with Bhakti?

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post
    Namaste.

I seek to practice Bhakti yoga daily, because I have learned about it and I think it is a very beautiful way to devote oneself to God. But I'm having a little trouble with it, and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

1) Is it true that you can use any form of God that brings you closer to Him/Her in spiritual union? (For me, I really see God in the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in the sunset and sunrise.)

2) Do you recommend any specific mantras, chants, hymns, offerings, etc. that a Christian Bhakti seeker could use?

3) I think I have limited resources as far as a "traditional" Sanantan Dharma Bhakti yoga devotion would go. But what are some elements as to how Bhakti yoga should go?

I hope this all makes sense.
    Thank you so much.

Bhakti yoga, all it means is the unification of the devotee with god, through the use of devotion. So, sure, u can worship god in any form. Well, I have heard that the word 'yogah' was used by christ somewhere. The best mantra I know of Christianity is the 23rd Psalm, it kinda reminds me of the gayatri mantra for some reason. You can't label bhakti to be a 'property' of any religion, bhakti literally means 'love'. So, go ahead, love with all your heart. Besides, I feel that there is no such thing as religion, its all a big hallucination of humanity, which divides humans and seeds ill-will.
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Re: Please help me with Bhakti?

Dear Bhakti,

I apologize, my friend. I didn't see your post at first.

You are very kind, helpful, and understanding.
    It is a blessing to me to know that you understand what I hope to achieve in my relationship with God (Jesus Christ).

I will definitely consider Unitarian Universalism; I appreciate their opennes and individuality. and I will also check out the AllSouls Unitarian Youtube Channel. I am so excited.

And it would be my pleasure to share with you what I have learned and will learn in the future about Bhakti. I've added you as a Buddy, so we can keep in contact and just talk together, if you want to.

Primarily, I hope to learn from you because you are on a (possible) journey toward the faith of which Bhakti Yoga is a part.

Thank you so much, Bhakti.
    I hope to hear back from you.

Namaste ILoveGod,

The others have given you good advice and reading resources. I would tend to agree with EM that mixing faiths can be confusing, but I also believe that some are very much capable of holding a unitarian/universalist view of God without having to formally quit their current religion. It is clear you love God deeply, and are open-minded enough to be willing to explore your relationship with Him better.

1) The nature of God is pure love, right? Is that the correct view of God in Sanatana Dharma, that God is our loving Creator and Sustainer?
    From God are all things created and maintained, although you are missing one final component in the view of Sanatana Dharma. God is often understood to be a tripartite entity of: Generator, Operator and Dissolver (GOD). From Him do all things come into being, in Him are all things anchored in this existence, and in Him do all things eventually return. This is why Hindus often call God "One without a second" - as there is nothing else but Him. Absolutely is God pure Love. A neverending stream of love flows from Him to every single being in the universe.

2) Is our relationship to God that He is our Lord and that He lives within each one of us, that we are His temples?
    Yes, God is present within each of us, as the Soul of souls, called the Self in Hinduism. He is the Supersoul that lies dormant in each being in the universe, waiting to be awakened by knowledge, discipline and Self-realisation. When one is finally able to achieve that universal consciousness in which soul is finally established firmly in God, individual consciousness and experience is left far behind. This is the incomparable bliss that is moksha, union with the Supreme Being, the ultimate goal of all bhaktars (devotees).

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by upsydownyupsy mv ss View Post
    Bhakti yoga, all it means is the unification of the devotee with god, through the use of devotion. So, sure, u can worship god in any form. Well, I have heard that the word 'yogah' was used by christ somewhere. The best mantra I know of Christianity is the 23rd Psalm, it kinda reminds me of the gayatri mantra for some reason. You can't label bhakti to be a 'property' of any religion, bhakti literally means 'love'. So, go ahead, love with all your heart. Besides, I feel that there is no such thing as religion, its all a big hallucination of humanity, which divides humans and seeds ill-will.
    Thank you so much for your encouraging information. Knowing these things about Bhakti inspires me even more.

I'm also really glad that we could find a connection between each other. After you mentioned the Gayatri Mantra, I looked it up and I found it to be really beautiful.

Thank you for your kindness and for helping me with this.

I agree, I myself wouldn't say God is love because I feel that's rather limiting to the S/he I feel that God is pure consiousness which dwells in all things and the *natural state* of consciousness is love, respect, happiness, charity, etc. Of course sometimes we as people go to the *un*natural state of hatred, lust, anger, greed, etc. But ultimately God is pure consciousness and contains all things good, or bad but that's a difficult concept for me so I prefer to see that Brahman is naturally at peace but simultaneously contains all the potential for every other state of consciousness.

Namaste!

Agreed, TheOne. God is everything. Once we reach a certain level of spiritual evolution, even labels like goodness and love stand in the way of knowing Him. But obviously for simplicity's sake and for those of us less spiritually awakened, bhakti is a wonderful way to foster a better relationship with God.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste Adam,

You've been given great advice. I second the suggestion to check out Unitarian Universalism. Keep in mind that there is also a good amount of non-denominational Christians. A few of my friends are non-denominational, and they don't go to church and don't feel bound by any dogmas or church teachings. They just seek to reach God in their own way, while still being a Christian. Hope this helps.

Jai Sri Ram

Dear The One ,Sunyata,

you have said and admitted that Love is simply a smaller or inferior components of God.But would not you agree that LOVE is the begin and end of whole story??

God is consciousness,chit-knowledge,sat-eternal existence....etc etc .......ok,
    but is this the important thing of him we should love him or seek him. absolutely not. we love him,we cry for him,we are willing to dye for him,...because we love him. do we eat rasgulla because it is made up of milk,sugar? it looks white,it is soft? no. it is so sweet and tasty to mouth,thats why we like it.

Among Sat-chit-anand, its the Anand/bliss/love that matters most.thats the reason he has created everything. even our bondedness to maya and the process of freedom from it is for this Experience of Love. this whole process of liberation and final union is the most blissfull things in God consciousness.this is the very purpose of all this Drama.

Even one attained brahman-union,but still not completely unison with his LOVE....is like eating castor oil ,leaving aside Ghee !!!

so its THE BEST,THE BEST,THE BEST thing to look upon God as LOVE....at begin,at middle,at end. it will make devotee"s path blissful. it only can give the Ultimate knowledge of Vedant, the ultimate Love of Bhagabatam.

Jayaguru
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveGod View Post
    1) Is it true that you can use any form of God that brings you closer to Him/Her in spiritual union?
    Its nature:
    If anybody is using the form of trees as "God", his/her nature becomes like trees.

If anybody is using the form of water as "God", his/her nature becomes like water.

If anybody is using the form of rocks as "God", his/her nature becomes like rocks.

Then, O man whom to use as form of "God" to become the form of "God" or "Puran-Brahm".....?
    Ans: Use spiritual "Guru" or "Teacher" or "Master" as the form of "God", On earth he/she only can help you to achive your real goal.

Yes! at the time of "Jesus", those who have used jesus as the from of "God", they were blessed by "Him" or lord.

"O Lord"
    2) Do you recommend any specific mantras, chants, hymns, offerings, etc. that a Christian Bhakti seeker could use?
    This is only in the power of one true divine teacher to give any specific mantra,
    The seed of "Truth" can only be sowed by "Truth"
    """""Hallelujah"""""
    3) I think I have limited resources as far as a "traditional" Sanantan Dharma Bhakti yoga devotion would go. But what are some elements as to how Bhakti yoga should go?
    Something like this, I think: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6576

_/\_ Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

Hello I Love God.

Do you realize Christianity is a political construct made along the centuries with heavy adultering and violence towards others sects considered heretics, further adulterations, councils that gave women souls, then it was considered black people have souls. Is it the kind of "spirituality" that you wanna be involved with? For me it's nothing more than nonsense.

I'll post some links regarding the Abrahamic religions:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7216
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...6&postcount=24
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...1&postcount=30
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...p?t=360&page=4

Note that some users like Bryon try to study the texts the closer to their source since he speaks greek.

I admit that I suffered from some attachment to christianity even though I never was connected to it in anyway, seems like a western thing, everything is too much christian around here. But now I realize that when I say I'm against it, I'm not attacking a religion, I'm attacking a political construct and a nonsensical mish-mash that even "borrows" content from the Bhagavatam, since the end of the Bible speaks about the same thing as the 12th canto. God in a white horse is Kalki.

Sorry to be pouring all this into you, but I'm just trying to offer my realization of how denying christianity is not really an intolerant atittude, more like a logical realization.

I know that the symbology of the sacred heart of Jesus may mean something to you religiously, but also try to understand that Sanatana Dharma is here to offer us much more. No need to appeal to a philosophical line with a questionable history and theology.

Om Tat Sat
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 31 March 2011 at 02:23 AM.

Thread Information