Thread: behavior betraying belief

behavior betraying belief

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

What occurs quite often is that our beliefs and values do not always match our behaviors.

Look at all the wonderful things we talk about here on HDF. Does one think these are practiced daily ? I see this in my
    government and community quite often i.e. contractions; I see contradictions in my self.

Contradictions are gaps between belief and behavior.

But why so? My thoughts on this is this gap is a function of sattva. When sattva is lacking, then tamas and rajas are more prevalent.

Sattva is the quality of purity or goodness , strength of character , firmness ,resolution . When this dominates, it renders a person true , honest , a thing pure , clean . It is closer to our essence of Being. When it is in decline, then more darkness enters, more restlessness.

It is said when sattva predominates, there is less trying . Sattva is that of even-ness of samā , balance, right measure.
    Then one's behaviors come in line with ones beliefs as they are aligned to this sattva.

So, the question . Where does one go to infuse this sattva? Where is the ~fueling station~ ? It is within ourselves.
    Our own Being.Taking away what you are not, leaves you with what you are.

I have seen this improvement in myself and others when sādhana is engaged. Proper sādhana is the method.
    Over time the tamasic drops away, more balance is gained,
    restlessness translates to useful, purposeful energy.

But one asks, I do not know if I have too much tamas or rajas and not enough sattva. You know by your behaviors, your
    responses, your even-ness of actions. You know by the level of agitation you may have. You know by what actions you do
    when you are alone at home.

Do you follow the same behavior when alone, beyond others eyes? Would you have no problem having your mother view
    your actions
    when you are at home alone? Mother is sattva.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: behavior betraying belief

Oh this I do fail at...and this post speaks to my heart. Again I did fail today...in my interaction with a Portion. For often I see something and will not comment and move on....but the day wanes and I feel a certain tug to try to help. But often the help is more disturbing and then it is then I know I still have very very far to go.

But Beloved Portions as you, come along to remind gouge the ego and to cut away the infection...and I begin again. With love in my heart I continue with the hopes to help, to be helped...and at the same time remove myself completely.

So shielded from hatred and anger...so infected with silence I move. Then to come here and have friction, this my only source. Never gets better or pleasant...I come here for kindred kind and to send this love which flows out the top and over the sides out to someone who may could use it...and instead get into something which is redundant and not something productive to anyone.

Thank you for always providing the mirror so that the action aligns the words. We are defined by action and deed, and the words must align to these.

<-----Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Oh this I do fail at...and this post speaks to my heart. Again I did fail today...in my interaction with a Portion. For often I see something and will not comment and move on....but the day wanes and I feel a certain tug to try to help. But often the help is more disturbing and then it is then I know I still have very very far to go.

But Beloved Portions as you, come along to remind gouge the ego and to cut away the infection...and I begin again. With love in my heart I continue with the hopes to help, to be helped...and at the same time remove myself completely.

So shielded from hatred and anger...so infected with silence I move. Then to come here and have friction, this my only source. Never gets better or pleasant...I come here for kindred kind and to send this love which flows out the top and over the sides out to someone who may could use it...and instead get into something which is redundant and not something productive to anyone.

Thank you for always providing the mirror so that the action aligns the words. We are defined by action and deed, and the words must align to these.

<-----Work in progress
    It can also be a negative thing to be to critical of yourself, this can relate to self esteem. I have seen nothing bad in your posts, you are always polite.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 01 April 2011 at 05:06 PM.

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~

namast&#233;

you, come along to remind gouge the ego and to cut away the infection...and I begin again. With love in my heart I continue with the hopes to help, to be helped...and at the same time remove myself completely.
    The best way I know is to continue to study and work on myself (sādhana) & to share the knowledge. Why so? It is a reminder.
    To stop playing the 'old tapes' of an old self and to recognize one's own greatness of Being. To this, we work day-by-day.

Yet at times we forget and start again. Years ago the 'forgetting' was in days, then in hours, now in minutes.

If one looses something it is not unusual to keep that thing in mind to find it. Like that one can continue to be reminded of who we really are. We come back to the idea again and again. Not hard like a hammer but easily, gently so we do not scare off the mind.

This IMHO is why one may wear a mālā or have mūrti in one's home, or tilika on one's forehead. It is a reminder - wake up , did you forget who you are ?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Yajvan, I no longer need these things to remind me of that, as I have seen the place you call Turiya for only a few moments. It was as if waking up from deep anesthetic during surgery. Then I knew that this place is a twilight of sorts between awake and sleep not truly awake at all. There is no way to sustain it from this place of service and I will not seek it.

So now I do cry, as I look into the eyes of others...most of the time the tears are just below the surface. Only a few moments of prayer and it comes again. For I no longer wish to play this game around me...and yet I am obliged.

I know what We are and this place of twilight.

Though it makes me cry...it also makes me full of joy to know this Truth finally.

That some simple idiotic mother could stumble upon this place of awareness means it must lay very close. No need to runaway to find it.

Layers upon layers of realms, one within the other. I no longer raise my head to pray but bow it low to the ground. Layer upon layer we dwell within the Heart of Beloved...in the Aham.

Om Namah Shivaya

Lastnight I was awakened as often I am by my son (He is # 4/6 of my sons and 15). He has a severe issue with petit mal induced by sleep apnea. So is can be deeply asleep and still running around trying to eat, or move things.

Now from years of this I have learned much. You can not wake him, it's very dangerous as he often will lash out fearfully and he is over 6 feet tall as all my older sons are very strong and tall. You can't even talk to him or he becomes frightened/defensive and will strike you.

Many times I sing to him, hold his hands and gently help him back to the safety of his bed...and sometimes he cries because it has disturbed him so greatly from the experience.

In as much as it is out duty here to serve out our time in whatever situation we are placed, we are equally compelled to help others and serve. Sometimes that means withdrawl when seeing our attempts do nothing more than disturb time after time.

As a mother I have come and stayed. As a Portion I will leave.

Hari Om Namah Shivaya<3

Namast
    I feel greatly encouraged reading your post, Yajvan. How or what would you describe as sādhana to help us? I ask genuinely as I do not follow a very disciplined sādhana myself.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

So, the question . Where does one go to infuse this sattva? Where is the ~fueling station~ ? It is within ourselves.
    Our own Being.Taking away what you are not, leaves you with what you are.

I have seen this improvement in myself and others when sādhana is engaged. Proper sādhana is the method.
    Over time the tamasic drops away, more balance is gained,
    restlessness translates to useful, purposeful energy.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast NayaSurya

Yajvan, I no longer need these things to remind me of that, as I have seen the place you call Turiya for only a few moments. It was as if waking up from deep anesthetic during surgery. Then I knew that this place is a twilight of sorts between awake and sleep not truly awake at all. There is no way to sustain it from this place of service and I will not seek it.
    I am happy to here this. Over time this turīya comes to the foreground and the fluctuations of daily life go to the background. Silence begins to grow.

One gravitates to the silence.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast&#233; onkara,

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    Namast&#233;
    I feel greatly encouraged reading your post, Yajvan. How or what would you describe as sādhana to help us? I ask genuinely as I do not follow a very disciplined sādhana myself.
    Because people are so different, to offer a specific sādhana for many HDF members would be difficult. Yet I can make a few broad brush suggestions from what I have been taught.

Rest and activity is the basis of a reasonable practice. That means, proper rest and proper activity. Theses two things stabilize pure consciousness in one's nervous system ( my teacher called the village of the senses).
    The overall principle of rest and activity is the timeless sādhana of one simple but profound idea - withdraw , then withdraw from the withdrawal . That is, go within and experience pure awareness, then withdraw from that, come back out into activity and act. More on this can be found here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56322&postcount=15

What is proper rest? Deep meditation via some meditative technique. There are many depending one's abilities&#185; . Proper rest is being regular with one's pracitice. Done daily, AM session and and a PM session. Length of time depends on one's desire and capibility. But above all we stay regular. Regular = proper.

The notion is quite simple - give yourself the opportunity to assimilate Being, pure awareness. From this the body and mind are refreshed and the infusion of pure consciousness into one's daily activities begins , and grows with time.

I am also a fan of regulation of breath (prāṇāyāma&#185 . It is connected to the activity of the mind. So as the breath goes, so goes the mind.

What is proper activity? In the beginning it is one's daily work. It is the alternation of rest with this activity to infuse this pure consciousness into one's daily habits. Activity that is uplifting, wholesome, life supporting.
    Over time I have found one gravitates to those things that support one's sādhana i.e. study of the śāstra-s, yoga postures, proper company, proper foods, uplifting entertainment.
    When talking of 'study' it is considered 'refined' activity, but activity none the less. Activity can also be exercise , swimming, running, walking. And this too over time one can infuse their sādhana into it. Various breathing exercises and/or simple rhythmic chanting is possible.

Yet I find people try to do too much in the beginning , take on too much - then just drop it all because they get over-loaded. Best ( I find) is to be easy about it, effortless the best we can.

praṇām

words
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 April 2011 at 02:28 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information