Thread: Mantra japa sadhana

Mantra japa sadhana

Hari Om!

Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for counting rounds of japa when doing a large number, say 100 - 200 rounds of a simple mantra. I know from my time with the Hare Krishnas' that they use japa counter beads, but I've never seen one for my said purpose. Additionally, it gets to be meditative to a point where even counting the rounds is difficult, but the sadhana is to do a fixed number daily. Any ideas?

Om Namah Sivaya!

Re: Mantra japa sadhana

Namaste,

I have a suggestion - to not count the rounds at all. How about setting N hours rather than rounds ? I find keeping a count distracting, rather than melting away into the japa. This may not work for you or what you were asking but just a thought. Surprisingly enough, Haridas Thakur did count his japa, although he chanted all day long as it is.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Hari Om!

Yes, this may indeed work. I know about how long it should take to do mantra jap of this particular mantra so it should be effective and yes, melting into meditation seems to be the goal anyway - or at least I'd like it to be.

Would still be interested in how others may count the number of malas they complete however. It may come in handy when I chant different mantras at different times.

Thanks for your suggestion and insight.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Namaste Smithji

For less than 20 rounds , the japa counter beads are good enough, but your goal seems to be 100 rounds ! Many praNAms !
    Then why not a duplicate mala (of 108), one as the japa mala in the right hand and the other as the META mAlA in the left hand.

This does not seem very practical obviously, so perhaps a flip counter of some kind - that can be clicked with eyes closed ? Or something more sophisticated that increments the count (on a screen) by pressing a key and you program/set it for an alarm to go off once the target is done.

Time to go to Radio Shack. Perhaps you can introduce this product in the market if it is not already there

All the best

praNAm
    Last edited by smaranam; 03 April 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste Smith,

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had suggestions for counting rounds of japa when doing a large number, say 100 - 200 rounds of a simple mantra. I know from my time with the Hare Krishnas' that they use japa counter beads, but I've never seen one for my said purpose. Additionally, it gets to be meditative to a point where even counting the rounds is difficult, but the sadhana is to do a fixed number daily. Any ideas?
    When I was a child, I used to do such types of Japa say a count of 10,000 to 100,000 of mantras with my family members. This used to go on for days before the targetted no of japa was completed. We had developed a simple technique to keep the count :

Keep a paper and pencil ready with you at the time of doing the japa. The Japa mala counts normally 108. After you reach Sumirini i.e. complete your count of 108 (taken as 100 as 8 are not counted), draw a small vertical line on the paper. This way once the four lines are drawn, the fifth line is drawn across ( at 45 degree angle) all the four lines. That makes it a group of 5 i.e. a count of 500. You keep making such groups every day and then total at the end of the day to get a day-total. Keep doing it till you complete your target.

It may not be the best one but that is what we used to do.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namste,

I use. Almond. When one mala complete,
    I put one Almond on the side .

Thread Information