Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Options Other Than Marriage

Options Other Than Marriage

What are the options for a woman who does not wish to marry? (To be frank, it is not that I do not wish to marry someday but I have zero sexual desire and as such do not feel attraction.) What can I do? What are my options?

Re: Options Other Than Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    What are the options for a woman who does not wish to marry? (To be frank, it is not that I do not wish to marry someday but I have zero sexual desire and as such do not feel attraction.) What can I do? What are my options?
    Sanyas?

Quote Originally Posted by astrostudent View Post
    Sanyas?
    Wouldn't that be pointless (assuming sannyasa is for sexual renunciation only - which it is not), since she doesn't have any desire on that front.

Divine Kala, I don't understand if it such a problem for you living in Australia. In the west I assume plenty of people live non-married lives, irrespecting of having had or not having partners. In India also now, it is not that big a deal.

But I do have highest respect for the grihasta ashrama among all other stages of life, and ideally it would be best if you could find an asexual or less sexed partner to raise a family (unless you have zero desire on that front too).
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Wouldn't that be pointless (assuming sannyasa is for sexual renunciation only - which it is not), since she doesn't have any desire on that front.
    There's no salvation without renunciation, and some people don't want to renounce because sexual urges keep them in the world. The OP doesn't have that problem, so renunciation should be easy. The birth chart can reveal whether a person has sanyas yogas.

Dear Divine kala,

personal speaking to you,its not a place you should ask such questions and your personal feelings in such way as in our Dharma,womens are kept in utmost respect,dignity and revered and seen as Jagatjjanani.

since you had put a question,i would like to say " there is nothing constant 'I" as the self is nothing but a set of samskars,a set of karmic fruits evolving into action.our state of mind always deceive us. myself is an experienced person,though not married,but still not ruled out. sometimes i feels i am near selfrealizaton,next time it seems so far.

our life,its nature,its dominant desire are kept layer by layer...just like earth consists of layers of soil,sand,stone,water,oil etc.

Thats why today"s murderer is tomorrow"s self realized saints, and todays sannyasi is tomorrow"s womanizer. so we dont know what is kept in our karmic layers as billions of birth"s samskar is stored there.

As a Female, its not a easy life to be remain unmarried. and if your dominant aspect is Bhakti,you must marry .jnana marga is about neti...neti,but bhaktimarga is BASUDEVAM SARBAM ITI,so family is the starting place to experience this truth.

Again in hindu dharma marriage to a girl is equivalent to sannyasa to a male. and to a sati nari,nothing is bigger dharma that to love and make his husband happy and worship him as a form of supreme brahman made for her sadhna. second thing sansar-ashrama is not to enjoy ,but to conquer over senses.

In sanatan dharma, a married woman"s dharma is to see God in her husband, and for a Widow, to see her husband in the God. only if one can do this properly,noone can stop her from god-realization.
    Last edited by anirvan; 09 April 2011 at 01:13 AM.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

namastщ Divine Kala
    Don't marry for sexual attraction, marry for friendship/love. In other words find a friend who feels the same and wants to share their time with you.

Divine Kala,
    I have similar opinion.. no interest in marriage though I have sexual desires. I believe you have an unquenched thirst for knowledge..read a lot and gain divine knowledge of Vedas and Upanishads.. surrender your life to Lord Shiva and if the Supreme Lord wants that you should get married..it will happen no matter what.
    реР рдорд╣реЗрд╢реНрд╡рд░рд╛рдп рдирдордГ

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Thank you every one for your opinions. I was wondering if there was any official way that I could dedicate myself to God? Bear in mind I do not think I could ever be anything like a nun (the mere idea of being subservient to men makes me twitch) but I'm sure I could do something.

Have you thought of dedicating yourself to Red Cross, or Amnesty International, or World Vision? If I had my time over again I would work for these organization as long as I had a roof of some sorts and a couple of meals a day. That's renunciation.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

Thank you every one for your opinions. I was wondering if there was any official way that I could dedicate myself to God? Bear in mind I do not think I could ever be anything like a nun (the mere idea of being subservient to men makes me twitch) but I'm sure I could do something.
    Is this the teaching of great sanatan dharma ??? i am very much disheartened
    to see that being involved in higher teachings of SD you still has thought of a FEMINIST which is the dirty product of kaliyuga. is this advita? is this conducive to bhakti ? never,noway with such thought can understand the ultimate truth of sanatan dharma...the Radha-Krishna tattva. this not my personal thought against any system,but this is the truth.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Thread Information