Thread: Major-General Charles Stuart

Major-General Charles Stuart

Namaste,

Major-General Charles Stuart was a British officer in the East India Company who embraced the Hindu culture and religion while stationed in India. He earned the nickname "Hindoo Stewart". He bathed in the Ganges, wore Indian clothes when not on duty, and prayed to Hindu deities. He encouraged Westerners to embrace Hinduism and India and not try to destroy it, and also spoke out against Christian evangelism. I remember first hearing about him when I watched "The Story of India" a while back, but didn't think much of him then. It's nice to see somebody who embraced Sanatana Dharma and saw the brilliance in it and recognized the beauty of India at a time when many Westerners were actively seeking to destroy it.

"Hinduism little needs the meliorating hand of Christianity to render its votaries a sufficiently correct and moral people for all the useful purposes of a civilized society." - Charles Stuart

"The glorious scriptures of the Hindoos were written at a time when our own ancestors were savages in the forests." - Charles Stuart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...any_officer%29

Jai Sri Ram

Re: Major-General Charles Stuart

Namaste,

Nice find, Thanks.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste,

Major-General Charles Stuart was a British officer in the East India Company who embraced the Hindu culture and religion while stationed in India. He earned the nickname "Hindoo Stewart". He bathed in the Ganges, wore Indian clothes when not on duty, and prayed to Hindu deities. He encouraged Westerners to embrace Hinduism and India and not try to destroy it, and also spoke out against Christian evangelism. I remember first hearing about him when I watched "The Story of India" a while back, but didn't think much of him then. It's nice to see somebody who embraced Sanatana Dharma and saw the brilliance in it and recognized the beauty of India at a time when many Westerners were actively seeking to destroy it.

"Hinduism little needs the meliorating hand of Christianity to render its votaries a sufficiently correct and moral people for all the useful purposes of a civilized society." - Charles Stuart

"The glorious scriptures of the Hindoos were written at a time when our own ancestors were savages in the forests." - Charles Stuart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...any_officer%29

Jai Sri Ram
    Vannakkam: My Uncle was stationed in Kolkata at Fort William (the British Fort of the day) and died there in 1941. He was an electrical engineer, and I believe he died working on the lines. He sent my Mother pictures of Hindoo weddings and the like, which I stared at as a small child. How I wish I could have talked with him if he hadn't have met with tragedy! Some days I think I was him just in the previous life.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste EM,
    ahh...now I get it. You do have roots in the motherland. I have often wondered how a boy grown in this frozen side of the world became interested in dharma.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: My Uncle was stationed in Kolkata at Fort William (the British Fort of the day) and died there in 1941. He was an electrical engineer, and I believe he died working on the lines. He sent my Mother pictures of Hindoo weddings and the like, which I stared at as a small child. How I wish I could have talked with him if he hadn't have met with tragedy! Some days I think I was him just in the previous life.

Aum Namasivaya
    satay

Thread Information